Properly downshifting using SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Properly downshifting using SS

which way is better for our trannies when using SS.... say im in 4th gear, and i want to come to a complete stop, shud i smoothly downshift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd while slowing down... then let it shift into 1....
OR, shud i just leave the car in 4th, and come to a complete stop and let the computer put the car in 1 for me?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's up to you, there is no "proper way." most people will not use engine braking though.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Peach Tea

i just come to a complete stop, i dont like the way it jerks backward when you downshift.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Comptech Freak

leave it alone...

for long term ur tranny will be gone
Old 06-15-2002, 01:09 AM
Pro

i read my manual and it actually suggests engine braking when going down a steep grade to reduce wear on the brakes themselves...dunno about using that method to slow down on on a straight road tho. i've done it a few times when traffic in front of me suddenly slows down and i use both brakes and downshifting to slow down faster.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:24 AM
Pro

Jaydef, there is no "proper" way to downshift using SS...it's just what you prefer. You have 1 of 2 choices. 1) Downshift manually using SS 2) Downshift automatically controlled by car using SS.

1) When you downshift manually, you will apply engine brake. Depending on how fast you are going and what gear your in, you might feel a tug...that's engine brake. If you downshift to a lower gear while your are in a higher speed range, the computer will not allow you to downshift and the SS light will blink. To reduce or eliminate the tug...you will have to downshift at a lower speed at each gear.

Lets say your going 60mph in 4 gear, then you downshift..you will feel the tug. But if your going 60 mph and brake down to 40 mph and they downshift, you will feel less tug. Depending on how much tug vs how much foot brake you use, it's a compromise.

I usually downshift from 4 to 3 when i'm around 50-35, downshift from 3-2 when 35-20...and the computer will downshift from 2 to 1

2) Downshift automatically done by car. This way, you are not using engine brake. When you use your foot brake, and when you are at the minimum speed range of each gear, the car will downshift automatically...this way, you won't feel the tug.

If you want a smoother stop, just let your car automatically downshift...but you will have to apply more foot brake.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:59 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
John, chill out with the tranny. It really wont let you do anything to hurt it, but downshifting to a stop will def. shorten the lifespan of the tranny. And since the 5 speed has a tendency to have a short lifespan already, will just leav it alone. Only downshift when you want to go faster but let the engine take control of when to downshift while stopping. Trust me.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:01 PM
Instructor

hey acura TL fan, where in orange county are you located????
Old 06-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Acura TL-S

i've been braking with the engine for almost 30k miles on this TL-S, and before that 15k on my 00TL, and both are still fine and driving. and when i downshift to brake, i usually do it hard, it really helps u stop faster, plus u dont need to wear out ur brake pads for no reason. also, when going down a slope, its a good idea to engine brake, as riding the brakes will leave them hot and useless in an emergency stop situation.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Comptech Freak

i don't do SS in city...leave it in D5 and it will downshift automatically when i am on downhill
Old 06-15-2002, 03:38 PM
Banned

alrite, i guess ill just let the computer do the work for me. i dont feel a jerk when i engine brake bc i wait really long until a downshift to come to a stop.

if going 60 in 4th.... i wait until like 30 to put in 3rd.... then 10 mph to put it in 2nd... there is no tugging.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:58 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jaydef
alrite, i guess ill just let the computer do the work for me. i dont feel a jerk when i engine brake bc i wait really long until a downshift to come to a stop.

if going 60 in 4th.... i wait until like 30 to put in 3rd.... then 10 mph to put it in 2nd... there is no tugging.
If you are doing it that way, you might as well let the computer do it for you because it will shift at those points roughly. BTW are you coming to the meet for sure on Sunday. Call my cell.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:16 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by ZodiakTL
i've been braking with the engine for almost 30k miles on this TL-S, and before that 15k on my 00TL, and both are still fine and driving. and when i downshift to brake, i usually do it hard, it really helps u stop faster, plus u dont need to wear out ur brake pads for no reason. also, when going down a slope, its a good idea to engine brake, as riding the brakes will leave them hot and useless in an emergency stop situation.
Hey ZodiakTL -

I've been running in Manual mode since I got it 15 months ago. And I downshift regularly all the way down to 1st. And I still haven't noticed any problems with the tranny. (Never use SS anymore)

I wonder out of all the people who drive like thishow many have had any tranny problems. It would be interesting if none of few of them did.

BTW - I've been told many time that the TL/CL won't downshif into 1st unless you are below 20MPH. I have no problems manually downshifting at 30MPH in to 1st. It's a real kick and I believe a big factor in my getting sooo many kills. Especially those snippity Bimmers.

RUF
Old 06-15-2002, 11:26 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by samkws
i don't do SS in city...leave it in D5 and it will downshift automatically when i am on downhill
FWIW and IMHO, I don't like D5 unless I'm getting on the highway. Matter-of-fact, I don't use D4 unless I'm crusing 45MPH or better. And ever then, I'm almost always shifting manually anyway. I just like to be one with the car.

I also wonder if shifting in and out of overdrive isn't a potential factor in the tranny problems we are hearing about.

I recall that most manufactures recommended against keeping the shifter in overdrive around town. And I seem to remember that the higher performing cars were more of an issue. Could it be that in the early designs the overdrive components were not designed for high torque, but for crusing? And therefor weaker materials were used? Just a thought.

EricTL, care to share some of your expertise?

RUF
Old 06-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I normally engine brake in gate shift mode. I hear its a bad habit and I'm trying to break that bad habit. But its too much fun to do!
Which would you rather have to replace, tranny or brake pads?