Problem with Ballast, any help much appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Ballast, any help much appreciated

So here's what happened.
1) Driver side light went out most likely due to ballast shorting from condensation in the housing. I purchased a replacement housing and ballast off ebay to do the repair myself.

2) Last night I swapped out the housing and put the new (ebay) ballast in but that did nothing to fix the problem.

3) After a series of swaps with my functional light, I sourced it down to the ballasts (all bulbs and ignitors are working).

So here's the confusing part, and I'm hopeful that someone on this forum has run into this problem and knows what's going on b/c I don't (and yes i did a search but couldn't find anything specific to my situation). When i turn on the lights on with the original ballast in (not the one i purchased on ebay) it, of course does nothing. When I turn the lights on with the replacement ebay ballast, the light doesn't turn on BUT it also blows out my fuse.

After going through 3 fuses I distilled the problem to that. One ballast isn't functional at all, the other blows my fuse out. What I'm trying to figure out now is if the ebay ballast is defective as well or if there's something else I need to do here (related to the cause of the fuse blowing out). I don't want to go out and purchase another ballast if I'm just going to run into this again.

I did notice that the ignitor that the ebay ballast came with has a ground wire (black) and both my orginal ignitors do not (just red, yellow, and green).

Has anyone had any experience with this at all?? Sorry for the long post, but it was a little confusing....