Problem with 12v switched power; Not Enough Power to the Sirius Alpine Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with 12v switched power; Not Enough Power to the Sirius Alpine Tuner?

First off, let me say that I search diligently on this site and I have fixed/modded my 2000 tl-p with 121k miles with your help, but I am stumped here.

I followed directions in the thread to hook up the stock sub to an aftermarket head unit (alpine 9847). I should also tell you that I have a Sirius Alpine tuner (SIR-ALP1) hooked into the switched power and ground at my original wiring harness with the alpine wiring harness. Never had any problems for two plus years.

Thanks to CJITTY and others, my stock sub is working great, but my sirius tuner no longer send a signal to the headunit (and I will go nuts without howard!). I can see there is power to the sirius tuner, but i appears to be affected by the sub (i see the orange light flickering in sync with the bass). Why would this happen - it must be drawing too much off the headunit amp? Do you think if I tap into an extra slot on the back side of the driver's side fuse block for 12v switched power i will have better luck? Lastly, I have double checked the Ai-net cord to the headunit and no problems there unless it is broken inside. Any help is appreciated.

PS - thanks to everyone's previous posting on this forum, I have replaced my trans under warranty, replaced my rearview mirror gratis (thanks danni), replaced my ignition switch, replaced my rear passenger door handle, replaced my air conditioning power cord to the fan blower, and countless other small fixes. LEARN TO SEARCH NEWBIES, IT'S BEEN DONE ON HERE!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by srees01
First off, let me say that I search diligently on this site and I have fixed/modded my 2000 tl-p with 121k miles with your help, but I am stumped here.

I followed directions in the thread to hook up the stock sub to an aftermarket head unit (alpine 9847). I should also tell you that I have a Sirius Alpine tuner (SIR-ALP1) hooked into the switched power and ground at my original wiring harness with the alpine wiring harness. Never had any problems for two plus years.

Thanks to CJITTY and others, my stock sub is working great, but my sirius tuner no longer send a signal to the headunit (and I will go nuts without howard!). I can see there is power to the sirius tuner, but i appears to be affected by the sub (i see the orange light flickering in sync with the bass). Why would this happen - it must be drawing too much off the headunit amp? Do you think if I tap into an extra slot on the back side of the driver's side fuse block for 12v switched power i will have better luck? Lastly, I have double checked the Ai-net cord to the headunit and no problems there unless it is broken inside. Any help is appreciated.

PS - thanks to everyone's previous posting on this forum, I have replaced my trans under warranty, replaced my rearview mirror gratis (thanks danni), replaced my ignition switch, replaced my rear passenger door handle, replaced my air conditioning power cord to the fan blower, and countless other small fixes. LEARN TO SEARCH NEWBIES, IT'S BEEN DONE ON HERE!!!
how is the actually car starting (battery) and are your headlights flickering and the alternater charging, need to start with the basics (bad alternaters, and bad batteries, both of which might allow ac voltage to the electrical system which can cause some WEIRD shit,
also to help rule out the sub real fast, take out the fuse to it, to see if the satelite radio works
also are the connections on the adapter harness soldered or just crimped???
Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
also what tools you got for working on/ checking electrical systems