Pricing: TL-S vs. BMW 330i vs. 2002 Audi A4 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pricing: TL-S vs. BMW 330i vs. 2002 Audi A4 Quattro

OK, I'm sure I'll receive some minor "flaming" for this topic, but based on the continuing price comparisions between the TL-S and BMW 330i,I decided to set the record straight.

Firstly, after reading many posts comparing the TL-S to the BMW 330i, I've come to the conclusion that there is a major problem with price comparisions between an equally equipped TL-S and BMW 330i. I've seen so many people state the BMW 330i when equipped with the TL-S's options, is priced at around $35K. This is just not the case. A fully loaded TL-S (with Navi) has an MSRP of $33,710, which includes vehicle freight cost. A comparably loaded (with similar/same options as the TL-S) BMW 330i (with Navi) has an MSRP of $43,785. Items of note which are included in this price (which the TL-S does not have) are: 1) four-function on-board computer, 2) retractable high-intensity headlight washers, and 3) the BMW Full Maintenance Program, which covers all factory-recommended maintenance for 36 months/36,000 miles.

How did I come up with the price the 330i? Just by going out to the BMWUSA.com website and configuring a base model 330i with the Sports, Cold Weather, and Premium packages, along with: metallic paint, STEPTRONIC transmission, Xenon low-beam headlights, and the BMW On-board Navigation System.

Please note, the BMW On-Board Navigation System cannot be ordered with an in-dash AM/FM/CD player, so you must also purchase it, include the vehicle freight cost, and luxury tax. Adding these costs to the MSRP of the 330i will easily push it up to an MSRP of almost $45K!

Hopefully, those stating that the BMW 330i is only $5K more than the TL-S will stop this "maddness" and get "real", and price both vehicles with the same (if not similar) options.

I just purchased my TL-S a little more than a month ago (31 March), and it's an awesome car. The BMW 330i cannot compare to it, as it is priced about $10K higher than the TL-S, so anyone having a tough time comparing the two just has to look at the price differential, and that should end the dilemma, unless price is not an issue.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to the new Audi A4 Quattro (http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2000/001013audi-a4/), which is to be released in late fall of this year. It's being totally re-designed (along with a higher horsepower engine), and will probably be in the $38K - $40K MSRP range, fully equipped (with Navi). I really want an all-wheel drive automobile (not SUV), and the upcoming A4 Quattro will fit the bill, as the current A4 Quattro just doesn't do it for me. As such, I'll be purchasing the new A4 Quattro in March/April 2002.

------------------
2002 Acura 3.2 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Old 05-06-2001, 11:52 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I'm one of the people that stated that the BMW was about $5K more. I came to this conclusion cuz I know someone that bought a TL-S for about $35K (with kit and spoiler) and I also know someone that bought a fully fully loaded 330i (even with parking control) for $40,370 out the door. So that's where I came up with that logic. The BMW's MSRP would have come to close to $43,500 so you're right. Either way, both good cars and boils down to what you're more comfortable with. Never drove the TL-S (but drove the CL-S with headers) so I can't really comment on how the TL-S rides, etc. Obviously I would have high expectations for the TL-S since I'm a TL owner
Old 05-07-2001, 10:41 AM
Racer

price comparison is one thing.. but how do they compare the 3 series, the A4 and tl / tls when the tl is so much more roomy? shouldnt it go against the A6 and 5 series?

------------------
-Fiddler
ControlGenie Automation Systems
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe (HomePage)
Old 05-07-2001, 06:37 PM
Advanced

Fiddler, you are indeed correct. Unfortunately, most people tend to first price compare the TL-S with the BMW 330i and Audi A4, and compare the actual automobiles ("apples to apples") after-the-fact. The TL-S should be compared to the BMW 5-series and the Audi A6, and not the BMW 325i/330i and Audi A4.

------------------
Satin Silver
Old 05-07-2001, 06:46 PM
Instructor

I have driven both. They both very different cars. The 330i being more sport oriented and the TL-S more luxo-sport. They are two differently sized cars. The 330 being much smaller on the interior. Performance wise, with the steptronic, the 330i feels slower than the TL-S. Handling goes hands down to the 330i. As for price, out the door costs are not comparable. A fully loaded TL-S would seem to go out the door for about $35K, figuring on what the dealers have offered me so far. A friend of mine bought his wife a 330i with the sports package and wheels, no nav, no parking control, extend warranty stuff ...it came to about $43K out the door, assuming he told me the truth

At any rate, after having driven the 330i for a weekend and testing driving the TL-S three times. I decided on the TL-S

just my $0.02

------------------
Photoshop Chop Shop
Old 05-07-2001, 08:14 PM

Audi A4 Quattro should be compared with BMW 330xi, the AWD version of 330i. BMW will hold higher resale value.

TL Type S should be compared with 525i or Audi A6. TL would be a better value dollar for dollar.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by AnthonyG:
I just purchased my TL-S a little more than a month ago (31 March), and it's an awesome car. The BMW 330i cannot compare to it, as it is priced about $10K higher....
Yeah, the BMW configured my way comes to $46K... and reliability is not near the TL. Yeah sure, reliability issues are covered under warranty...but what about the inconvenience/loss of use etc.??

The BMW navi is a joke, its not even touch screen.

I LOVE BMWs - they are great machines, but the Acura Type S is much better overall package....
Old 05-07-2001, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by sneuxstorm:
A fully loaded TL-S would seem to go out the door for about $35K, figuring on what the dealers have offered me so far....
just my $0.02

I got my TLS w/Navi for $31,200 with everything including floor mats, cargo net and wheel locks. The BMW that you get for anywhere close to this price (unloaded 323i) has do-it-yourself seats and a seriously wimpy motor.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

An option to consider with BMW is their European Delivery program where you save 7% off MSRP. That potentially can save you a couple grand and you'll get to drive the Autobahn(!).

Even with that incentive, I still decided Acura had the better overall package.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by csxpert:
I got my TLS w/Navi for $31,200 with everything including floor mats, cargo net and wheel locks. The BMW that you get for anywhere close to this price (unloaded 323i) has do-it-yourself seats and a seriously wimpy motor.

when I said out the door, I included tax and lic. fees...

------------------
Photoshop Chop Shop
Old 05-08-2001, 07:47 AM
Intermediate

Well, not everyone wants their car "Loaded" the way Acura "Loads" it.

I don't want heated seats or self adj mirror.
I don't really need a sunroof...

See what I mean?

I don't see what is so wrong with having options to choose from.

Old 05-08-2001, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Larry:

I don't see what is so wrong with having options to choose from.
Odds are, part of the reason for lack of options would explain the low (relatively) price. If there are more options (like no sunroof for instance), that means they have to build a model with and w/o sunroof.. this adds production costs.. same goes for all the other parts of the car that are usually options.

------------------
-Fiddler
ControlGenie Automation Systems
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe (HomePage)
Old 05-08-2001, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by AnthonyG:
OK, I'm sure I'll receive some minor "flaming" for this topic, but based on the continuing price comparisions between the TL-S and BMW 330i,I decided to set the record straight.
I have found the same.

Do you mind me asking where in DFW did you buy, and how much did you spend? I'm fixing to probably buy one but don't want to pay MSRP. Also I hate the fact I can't get Parchment w/Silver.
Thanks,

------------------
Jeremy
94RX7MB
Old 05-08-2001, 11:43 PM
Advanced

My TL-S was the on the second shipment that arrived at Vandergriff Acura (Arlington) around March 24, and I pre-ordered it. Ended up paying MSRP.

I checked with all of the Acura dealers in the local area (including Plano and even San Antonio) before I went with Vandergriff, and they would not budge from MSRP as well. Additionally, I would have had to wait an additional month for my TL-S, since none of them had any Silver/Ebony TL-Ses with Navi arriving in until that time. Furthermore, they were already reserved for those who put desposits down.

------------------
Satin Silver