Potential TL-S Owner with Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 04:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential TL-S Owner with Questions!

Hi Everyone,

Thinking about buying a TL-S and have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Price: I've been quoted 28,880 in the northeast, is this a fair price?

2. Can the fake wood be replaced in the interior, if so has anyone done it in the area?

3. Are the brakes that bad? I've heard negative things about feel and braking distance?

4. Is the paint soft? Will the snow and salt hurt the finish?

Any other thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Any owners with black paint, by the way?
Old 01-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Um are you sure about that price? If so buy it, that's 3k cheaper than what I paid. The brakes are good, not great, but good. For everyday driving it's fine until about 8500, I hit 9k miles and now my rotors might be warped. The paint is good, we have snow, salt, etc right now as we speak and there is nothing wrong with my paint. I also think it has something to do with what I use for detailing my car, which is zaino bros. good stuff for your paint. Get the car, you can't beat the price and it's a bang for the buck in any category...
Old 01-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

1. Price - sounds about right for a non-Navi TL-S. Note: the 2003's are coming out in February or March so you may want to wait. There's not supposed to be a lot that's changed though.

2. Wood - no. The pieces on the door are melted to the plastic trim. Some people have done it - but it sounds like a real pain. See the FAQ section for more info.

3. Brakes - the brakes are fine for everyday driving. If you drive at high speeds a lot or really drive hard they are marginal.

4. Paint - there's been lot's of complaints about the paint being thin and easily chipped. But if you go to the IS300 forum and the BMW board, they're complaining about as much as we are.

Overall, the TL-S is a great car and a great value. If you're expecting it to be a 330 or C320, you may be disappointed. But - you're also saving about $10K over the German cars.

My two cents...
Old 01-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Racer

Price - if thats a non-navi... thats a great price if its a navi, something is wrong with that car. i got my non navi for 29500 2 months ago, so 28800 is about right.

Wood - i got the black color, so its hardly noticably. there are alternatives... like there is one guy on here that put some sticker stuff, although he has silver, im sure you can get a color to match your interior.

Brakes - since my car only has 3000 miles on it, i can't really give you durability opinion, but from what i have seen, they are fine. the TL is a pretty heavy car, but it stops not on a dime, maybe a nickel (sorry, my attempt at a little humor)

Paint - paint sucks. but all paints suck now. so try to avoid getting black if maintaining it will be a hassle. if you get black, evreything shows up, shirls shirls and oh did i mention shirls?

all in all, i think the TL-s is the best value you are goign to get period! some people may argue IS300, thats fine if you like small cars, (i give the IS the small car value...until the inifinity g35 comes out) some may say the beamer, first cost a good 5k more, and insurance is ridiculous on that, the i35, sucks a$$, its too heavy, handling not as crisp as the TL. I think this is the best value in the sports sedans. now, what is the best period? would have to be between the M5 and AMG E55. (hopefully my next car..)