Possible for factory odometer to be reprogrammed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible for factory odometer to be reprogrammed?

I recently had my instrument gauge cluster replaced with a new one which of course, came with the odometer at 0 miles; the dealer slapped an odometer sticker to indicate mileage at time of replacement.

So...is it possible for a speedometer shop to reprogram the odometer on the TL-S? I know that it is possible on certain makes/models. Call me lazy, but it's much nicer having the odometer display the correct reading rather than having to remember to add the reading from the original odometer to the one displayed on the replacement one...

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:23 PM

Can you remove the mileage sticker from the dealer. It will be better when you sell the car. What happened that you need the gauge to be replaced.

Mr
03 ABP TL-S
New Jersey
Mr_@yahoo.com
Old 01-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem. The dealership told me they could not give me my miles back. They did not put a sticker on my car though. That worked out in my favor. They said that they would treat my car like it was brand new. That extended my warranty 20000 miles. I hope it breaks again. LOL.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

all this talk of going back to 0 miles on the odometer is making pray for mine to crash, it would bring value up another 5 grand! I guarantee you however that you cant get away with it. That would be illegal and they would get penalized severly.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not trying to disagree w/ you, but I'm genuinely interested: how is anyone going to find out? And how soon after someone finds out that the ODO has been replaced does the buyer have to sue the seller?

I ask this because someone I know always unplugs the fuse of the dashboard to any car he drives after he buys it (usually older used cars w/ the non-digital ODO) .. he also has a friend w/ a '99 GS400 that somehow unplugged a fuse or had a person knowledgable in car electronics to modifiy a couple wires to cut all power to the ODO on that Lexus... how can anyone find out? I want to call him out on his illegal activity ... cuz I could be the one who buys that car w/ extra miles on it!!
Old 01-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Instructor

It is very common for the dealership to slap in a new OD. They place a sticker on your door jam stating milage and date. This information is held at your local dealership. Now if your car is under warrenty the milage will be sent in with the claim. So now lets say your car is out of warrenty but your OD says your not.... Well that claim will get bounced back to the dealer and you pay.

coupe
Old 01-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that when Lexus replaces the printed circuit board for the odometer that they will program it with the digital miles already in there before shipping it to the dealer. I also watched a tech replace a non-digital one on an older car and he hooked a drill up to the speedo cable and manually rolled the correct miles onto the car. I don't know why Acura would put a 0 mileage part back in. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

PlanoTLS--maybe because either Acura and/or the dealer is lazy and/or too cheap since it costs Acura practically nothing to slap a sticker as opposed to paying a speedo shop to reprogram the odo.

As far as taking the sticker off--I would never think of doing that (tongue firmly in cheek)...besides, if I take it to the dealership that slapped the sticker on for warranty or maintenance work, they'll already know. Plus, odometer fraud is a serious offense; you never know if it'll come back to bite you in the a$$ someday if you ever decide to sell the car...

Mr. --I had the VSA light bleedthrough problem plus a stray plastic fiber peek out through the gauge; I thought all they were gonna do was remove the fiber and put some more adhesive to the backing of the gauge overlay where the VSA light is so that it doesn't unglue itself (that's how the light is bleeding through). I didn't think that they would replace the entire gauge itself...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Instructor

What everyone is missing is what happens behind the scenes. You can pull the sticker off all you want, but here is what happens.
1) If an odometer stops working, and you take it into a dealership, after they replace the odometer/dash, etc, they send that info in and that info is attached to your Vin number, your car is worthless at that point if you go to resell (to a dealer or someone who checks CarFax, etc), because no one can vouch for the actual miles on the car.
2) There are quite a few shops that can adjust your mileage to the correct number. All you have to do is surf the net. They do digital and mechanical odometers. They will not roll odometers back, but will fix them.
3) The info attached to your Vin is the key, the government will not trust the typical person to tell the truth with nothing but a sticker.

I believe a few years ago there where some GM execs that went to jail for driving new cars and having shop personnel adjust the odo back to zero after they turned them in.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by JERU
What everyone is missing is what happens behind the scenes. You can pull the sticker off all you want, but here is what happens.
1) If an odometer stops working, and you take it into a dealership, after they replace the odometer/dash, etc, they send that info in and that info is attached to your Vin number, your car is worthless at that point if you go to resell (to a dealer or someone who checks CarFax, etc), because no one can vouch for the actual miles on the car.
2) There are quite a few shops that can adjust your mileage to the correct number. All you have to do is surf the net. They do digital and mechanical odometers. They will not roll odometers back, but will fix them.
3) The info attached to your Vin is the key, the government will not trust the typical person to tell the truth with nothing but a sticker.

I believe a few years ago there where some GM execs that went to jail for driving new cars and having shop personnel adjust the odo back to zero after they turned them in.
Well for 1 way to bring up a 3 year old thread.

2. If its done by the dealer the car isnt WORTHLESS. they will attach a certified sticker on stating the actual mileage when changed
Old 01-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Well for 1 way to bring up a 3 year old thread.

2. If its done by the dealer the car isnt WORTHLESS. they will attach a certified sticker on stating the actual mileage when changed
fsttyms1- I tell you, if the people on these boards read the posts before responding, this world would be an easier one to get along in. Two differet scenarios were bought up in this thread. If a dealer changes out a broken odometer, you will have that info attached (mileage unverified) to your VIN. The dealer cannot verify and will not take your word on how many miles you put on the car before you bought it in.

1)Worthless is another way of saying you WILL NOT get Kelly Blue Book for that car if you trade it in or sell it to someone who does there homework. You will lose a bit on money on the situation (If the ODO was broken and replaced).
2) What good is a certified sticker? Does it verify miles accrued between the odometer breaking and being replaced by the dealer?
3) If your odometer/instrument panel gets replaced for another reason, and the ODO has to be reset due to that reason, then its all good and you have nothing to worry about.