The point of Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The point of Navi?

alrite, i know how all these rappers r like yea, i got the navi in the s600.. blablabla, i know it looks all cool. but do u really need it? i mean, ive never been lost, and im not ab to pay 2000 for it. pllus dont u have to pull over and fu(k around with it to find out ur directions. and those of u with ps2, when the hell do u play it? while ur driving? u migth as well put it in ur TV room. i just dont understand it. i think LCDS and navis are just for ppl with money to waste to show off their cars to girls or their friends. even so, im not ab to spend 2000 so my punk @ss friend could play PS2 while im drivin his ass to TacoBell. does ne1 agree with me? or am i just a cheap b@stard
Old 12-19-2001, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not about driving near where you live. Although it can come in handy for that. I got it because like you suspected, I thought it was a cool toy. But after having it I now consider it a "must-have" for a future vehicle. There is so much you can do with navi. Especially if you travel on the highway. You may know how to get from point A to point B but when there's an accident tying up traffic you can bail off the highway and press detour and it will re-route you around the side streets to avoid the accident.

There's way too many things you can do with it to explain here. If a salesman really knows about it they can show you all it can do. My salesman was just like "yeah, it's a bunch of electronic maps." But it's more than that. For those that think it's a waste, fine. But it really is more than just maps.

And BTW, with the Acura navi you *don't* have to stop driving to make changes to the navi. It's fully functional on the fly, unlike some of the Lexus units.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:12 PM
Pro

uuhhh your just a cheap bastard no j/k.

I rarely use it but there have been times that I have needed it

like when your brothers girlfriends fine ass cousin comes in from out of town and you have to show her around you know what im talking about

right?
Old 12-19-2001, 06:20 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had to do it again, I will definitely gotten the navi. I was cheap and stupid now I regret not getting it. I understand you don't really use it but what happens if you do need it one day. 2,000 is nothing compare to get an aftermarket navi.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:25 PM
Just too cool

navi seems like a hassle, because you have to fidle around with it while you drive and that can cause you to crash! and having a ps2 is just for show, there's really not purpose of it.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I love the idea of the navi, but didn't buy it because

a) I'm a cheap b*****d.
b) It's a distraction.
c) I always have a map when in an unfamiliar place--I usually memorize the route prior to going out of town, in fact.
d) I bought my car because I love to drive, and the TL-P is a wonderful driver's car for those who know how to use it. That's more important to me than knowing how to get there much of the time.
e) I'm a cheap b*****d.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Navi...is the best...It comes in handy. As for the PS2 and TVs I agree its really for show..But isn't the car also!! I guess it would come in handy when you are waiting for your girl or something....There's plenty of times where I wish I had some typr of entertainment in my car while I am waiting....
Old 12-19-2001, 08:44 PM
Pro

like pianoman41 said, it would be a must-have for future cars also. I can't imagine not having it now.

in the southern california area, commutes are judged by freeways (and how many), not streets. the navigation has been extremely useful for finding places in surrounding areas of LA and Orange counties.

I used to use the Thomas guide which is a book of maps for the socal area but it's a thick book and sometimes streets like North La Cienega have separate sections called N. La Cienega over a stretch of 10 miles, the only difference being what city you're in (and there are no signs that you're in this city or that city).

just punch in the address and it takes you to the front door...doesn't get easier than that.

my parents borrowed my car when they visited me and they needed to find a friend of theirs and they used the navigation to take them to an unfamiliar location 60 miles away. my dad loved it.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Why get a car that costs $35000 to get you from point A to point B when you can get a Kia for $9000 and get from point A to point B? Same reason....

Some people want the luxury and the latest gizmo since that's their second home.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:50 PM
Retired MOD

Lightbulb

NO point just awesome.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:52 PM
Drifting

I think the Navi has real practical use! It's not a distraction at all for me, since I don't usually operate it while driving.

I regularly go to arbitrary addresses to deliver stuff for my church, and I can't tell you how much easier it is to type a street and a house number into the Navi than trying to figure out where the heck 86249 NW. Whatchamacalit Pl. is located.

I also like to drive to seasonal events like outdoor shows and seasonal gardens, and I don't usually remember the route to each location. Navi to the rescue again!

And I've made it a habit to have a destination on the Navi most of the time. Several times I have made an unplanned detour because of traffic or road construction, and I've been able to sneak through residential side streets to get around a slowdown. Neat!

I'll never buy another car without a Navi again!
Old 12-19-2001, 09:53 PM
Race Director

I have the only Acura Navi in Kansas or Missouri that plays movies!

That's why.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:41 PM
O.G.

There are a lot of uses for the navi (as previously mentioned) that people don't see. Yea you might know how to get from point A to point B but there will be times when you will have to travel out of town. You can buy a map but why. It is cumbersome and a pain in the a$$. The navi also enhances the way the interior looks, especially the dashboard. You can also use it for neat toys (tv, playstation, dvd movies, etc.). Plus it was the only option. That's why the TL/TL-S is the best bang for the buck. Best $2000 I ever spent on a car option.:p

BTW, whatever my next car is, it better have navi and HIDs (just wanted to add it in).
Old 12-20-2001, 03:24 AM
Burning Brakes

family says: "navi is a waste of $"

When I decided to get a TL with navigation, my parents and my older brother were all lecturing me in unison about what a waste of money that navigation system would be. "How often would you use it!" "What if it breaks?" "You're going to play around with that thing while you're driving and crash into something?" "Can't you just settle for a Thomas Guide?" "You're good with directions, you don't need it?" And so forth and so forth.

I got it anyways, and now the responses are more like: "Wow, cool, you're navigation system can do that!" "Hey, that's sweet?" "Hey, I'm hungry, find me the closest Chinese restaurant?" "Wow, it even recalculates if you hit road construction!" "Josh, can you drive? I need to find this place?" "You know, that's money well spent!" "My next car is gonna have a gps navigation just like yours!"

All I say in response is: "Yeah, that's right."
Old 12-20-2001, 04:50 AM
The New 3 Series Coupe

Re: family says: "navi is a waste of $"

Originally posted by bebber
I got it anyways, and now the responses are more like: "Wow, cool, you're navigation system can do that!" "Hey, that's sweet?" "Hey, I'm hungry, find me the closest Chinese restaurant?" "Wow, it even recalculates if you hit road construction!" "Josh, can you drive? I need to find this place?" "You know, that's money well spent!" "My next car is gonna have a gps navigation just like yours!"

All I say in response is: "Yeah, that's right."
ahhhh.... that sounds really familiar...
Old 12-20-2001, 07:28 AM
Instructor

Jaydef.....sure the NAVI is a great play toy. But it's also a useful device. I have a wife that can't read a map worth a damn. And we frequently go to places we have never been before. Prime example is this past weekend. We happened to be going through a town that an ex coworker lived in. We gave them a buzz, got the address, plugged it into the NAVI system. I never had to look at the system afterwards. Just listened to the voice, turn here, turn there....voila, we're there.
Old 12-20-2001, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by t-rd
Why get a car that costs $35000 to get you from point A to point B when you can get a Kia for $9000 and get from point A to point B? Same reason....

Some people want the luxury and the latest gizmo since that's their second home.
Exactly! Why do people buy Corvettes and Ferraris?

I too thought it was a toy and my wife also gave me a little good natured grief about it. Those who say it's unsafe because you have to mess with it while your driving so they use a map, I say huh? Don't you have to pull over to look at a map? If you're reading the map while you're driving, HOW IS THAT SAFER? Once you enter your destination, you never have to take your hands off the wheel or your eyes off the road since NAVI gives you spoken step-by-step instructions. Tell me how your map is going to do that?

I'm usually pretty good with finding my way around, but there is something to be said for never having to ask for directions. Just ask for the address and that's it, and it has gotten me out of many traffic jams.

I'll never own another car without it! Funny thing is my wife now admits that she was wrong and wishes she could get one in her 'Cruiser.

I think that most people (before I get flamed, I said most not all) that say NAVI is not worth it, have never really used it and now are just trying to justify their decision for not getting it in the first place.

Put it this way, almost all of the people who say it's not worth it are those who don't have it. Very few, if any, NAVI owners will tell you that they wish they hadn't gotten it.

To me that says alot!
Old 12-20-2001, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Heck, the navi helped Edgalang score some points with his lady friend!!!

Tony
Old 12-20-2001, 11:53 AM
Banned

Damn
You guys are pissing me off for not getting a NAVI. What If I just spent like $1500 on a Laptop and like $300 for the software you think it would be worth it?
Old 12-20-2001, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Asif2002
Damn
You guys are pissing me off for not getting a NAVI. What If I just spent like $1500 on a Laptop and like $300 for the software you think it would be worth it?
that is no better than a map.

i don't have a TL but i have a I30 w/ navi after debating like heck whether or not to get it, i'm glad i have it, i have yet to show another person and have them go 'ohhh, cool' but it's still worth it even without that.

rappers rap about having navi? that's just too freaking hilarious.. camrys and maximas have navi also.
Old 12-20-2001, 12:13 PM
Racer

Damn
Nope.....
Old 12-20-2001, 01:58 PM
Race Director

Damn
Hehe, you guy's beat me to it. I have the laptop and the SA and the Garmin hooked up. Great in a rental car but doesn't even compare to Acura Navi, honestly, not even close.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:46 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by kensteele
I have the only Acura Navi in Kansas or Missouri that plays movies!

That's why.
Show Off..