Picked TL-S up yesterday, and got a deal too!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 07:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Picked TL-S up yesterday, and got a deal too!

So, after almost getting screwed by the dealer I had my car on order with for over 4 months, I ended up buying a White Diamond Pearl w/Nav TL-S yesterday, and drove it home.

The other dealer was giving me the song and dance that the white diamond wasn't available till next month, but that mine would be the first in the city, etc. I wasn't comfortable with that so called another dealer and wham, they had one, 24 miles on it, available for sale! Needless to say I got my deposit back from dealer A, and went to dealer B, but figured I could use this to my advantage!

Was also able to negotiate a 7.6% lease rate, 63% residual, and $1,000 discount from sticker. Will be adding the body kit, spoiler and a couple of others next Friday.
Some comments I noticed about the cars first trip (300 miles):

1. It is FAST! I used to own a 96 Z28 and loved how quick it was, and I can easily compare this car to that one!

2. It is quiet. Very refined, and very Honda, which speaks volumes right there.

3. It is a much stiffer ride than I expected, but not harsh at all. Feels more like BMW'ish the way it sticks to the road.

4. The Nav option it a great addition, especially how it adds to the overall look and feel of the ninterior at night.

5. The stereo definately needs to be upgraded, as it is Bose for sure.

6. It definately needs to be lowered, as there is a ton of air between the top of the tire and the bottom of the wheel wells. It seems like the car is about 2" too high from factory, much more noticable on the new ones than the 99-01 models, I thought.

7. The new seats are GREAT compared to last years, it gives the car an entirely new feel when driving more sporty as you really feel tucked in.

8. Overall impressions: LOVE THE CAR and anyone who feels this car is not worth the money is crazy.

My brothers, 2 of them, own Lexus GS400, my father-in-law has a new LS-430 and sister has a RX300, all Lexus. I am the first to sway, not the least of which because I didn't want a $800 plus monthly payment, but the Lexus GS's seem just too plain to me.

Well, for all who need a comparo, I drive those GS's all the time, they are bullet fast, and super quiet, but with a little added sound insulation (dynomat everywhere) in the TL-S, the TL-S easily compares if not out performs the GS is many way, including seats, style, interior room, and most important, its $25,000 LESS than a GS400!

As a topper to my great day of picking this thing up yesterday, I was coming home, playing tag with my brother in his GS most the way, I was in the lead at this point doing roughly 95 mph when I came over a hill and saw the cop, managed to slow to 87, but still got nailed. Anyway, after explaining my situation, and begging forgiveness, the cop let's both me and my brother off, and congradulates me on my NEW car. Take it easy he says, but slow down, a car like this will get noticed!

Perfect end to the trip, complimented, not ticketed by a cop in my new TL-S.
Great Car!!!
Old 03-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SonyMan,

Congrats on the new car! I love it as much as you do! I haven't really had a car as fast as a Camaro before, so this is definitely a treat.

You're right about the stereo -- I hesitate to gut it and replace it, because once you remove those body panels to access the speakers behind 'em, those panels will never go back the same way -- i always worry about squeeks and rattles and vibration. Don't you think the acoustics are ok? What if you added a line-out and added an amped sub or base tube?

But then again -- the car is sooo solid that a new system would be SWEEEEEEEET!

I love your color, I have the same one. I don't have the nav, and really didn't think twice about it -- years ago, people didn't need "cell phones" but they made people believe we needed 'em (i know, i'm really stretchin' it here) and now they're tellin' me i need Nav -- won't fall for it a second time!
<smile>

Keep me updated!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-18-2001, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SonyMan:

Was also able to negotiate a 7.6% lease rate, 63% residual, and $1,000 discount from sticker.
Great Car!!!
Hi, what was the duration of your lease?
Old 03-18-2001, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Talking

With nothing down, (except in ND we have to pay taxes up front), 400 lease costs, and first payment, 36month lease, 550/month, 63% residual, or roughly 22,500 at end of lease.
I also included under body kit, rear wing, comptech shocks, wood trim, mats and gold package. Total deal was 36,572 MSRP, and got it for 35500 done.
Hope that helps!
Old 03-18-2001, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Congrats sonyman!

However, you're just another lemming who LEASED and got FLEECED by the dealer!

How the hell do you compare the performance of a FWD 6 cyl. to a RWD Chevy V-8? (NOT that I want to be SEEN in a Z-28). Any slightly competent young punk in the latest gen. Z-28 can blow the doors off the new TL-S with EASE.

ENJOY!
Old 03-18-2001, 07:14 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Congrats. Sounds like a great car. You will love it, I'm sure. Don't have one yet, and I may get a CL-S instead!

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph
Old 03-18-2001, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,160 Posts
Originally posted by ClawingTiger:

However, you're just another lemming who LEASED and got FLEECED by the dealer!
ENJOY!
Amen on that. I am done with leasing. Mostly because I don't understand where they come up with the monthly rent #. Atleast with financing it makes sense. Check out www.peoplefirst.com they have 7.25 APR for 60Months.

Old 03-18-2001, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

Congrats on the Car!!! Im a bit jealous...just out of curiosity, how much did your lease payments work out to, if you dont mind saying?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2001, 09:03 PM
Instructor

https://www.wheels.eloan.com/cgi-bin/autoloans

7.35% for 36 months now.
Old 03-22-2001, 09:34 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Sonyman. Conrats on the car. I agree with everything you said. The stereo could use a kick in the butt. It is not bad, but it could be better. I would hate to lose the 6 CD Changer in the dash, though, as that was REAL EASY to get used to!

This car is so tight, I'm afraid to touch any panels, as right now there are NO RATTLES.

I'd like to put the wire in for my Valentine One, but I do not want to screw up the fit.

------------------
-------------------------

02 TL-S NAV w/Spoiler, Body Kit and Bowling Ball Wheel!

Old 03-23-2001, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations on the car, I can't wait for my wife to get her's...

But I have to question your comparison to the GS400. The GS has quite a bit more room inside, and a much higher ceiling. I'm sure they are both fast, but I don't see the Type-S pulling on the Lexus V8. I do like the TL's sport seats much more though, as long as you are not fat...