Performance Chip vs. Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Chip vs. Cold Air Intake

Hey guys, im back wit more questions lol. See i was lookin around, and i wanted to start looking into upgrading my car on a whole, not just cosmetic wise. So i was looking into a cold intake sys. which i guess is always a good place to start. but i also came across osmething interesting. Its advertising as a chip that adds 20 hp, hence a performance chip. Now when i read about it, it said that the chip is a "piggyback device" n that it tricks the ECU (computer) into thinking the air is being pumped in at a different (most likely lower... it doesnt say) level, so the computer makes the car work harder. It says you accelerate faster, and has been proven to add 20 hp. So i was wondering, should stick with intake, the chip, or BOTH? would it work if i were to install the intake, and then the chip? meaning would the chip tell the ECU that im running an even lower temperature? if anyones done this, or knows anything about it, or just has an opinion, lemme know. thanks.
- Kush
Old 06-04-2003, 07:59 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are currently no availible chips for the TL or CL. Most of us here are running intake/headers/exhaust. Some guys are running pullies and some guys have Nitrous.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

ohh okay... well then i guess ill just settle with the intake. dont wanna mess wit somethin i dunno about. so while were on topic any ideas on good intakes? lol. im relatively new the the car world so assume i know nothing. cause im pretty close. i know im most likely going to go with intake. any suggestions anyone?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Racer

Are you talking about that thing from ebay? That's PURE bs man. I wouldnt be surprised if it totally F*ed ur engine up. Just get the cold air intake man.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:19 PM
Cruisin'

yep that is what i was referring to. i was suspicious so i posted here. good to know. stayin away from there.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:40 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally posted by Kushballah
i know im most likely going to go with intake. any suggestions anyone?

AEM or INJEN, check out the Intakes section on top of this page!

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the AEM...proved gains and popular. Don't pay more than 190!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

so wat parts do i buy (remember. new at this. lol). or which should i order if i get the chance?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry accidently sent the last one.... yea so should i go short ram? because its the cheapest, and the next up i guess would be the polished, which is 230ish i believe. lol. i dunno where to go with this.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

damnit i keep going when i have more to say.... and do i need a new air filter and what not? if you can gimme the full picture on what id have to buy it would hlep much
Old 06-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Banned

ok... for chips... there is a chip... its called the unichip, but its madddddd money and like theres only one place that knows how to tune it to give you gains and that place is somewhere in cali i believe.

as for intakes, you can get a cold air intake (cai), short ram. or the comptech icebox. the cai will give you about 10 whp and a nice roar in vtec range. with the cai you also have the chance of sucking up water (since the filter sits low) and hydrolocking the engine. which would cost you a lot of pain, suffering and money. you can add a bypass valve to the cai which if the filter sucks up water, it will be let out by the bypass valve. if you add the bypass valve you will lose a few of the gained hp. the short ram wont give you gains as good as the cai and it also has a nice roar and you dont have to wrry about water being sucked in. then theres the icebox.... the icebox gives you a stock look, the best gains of all three and no chance of hydrolocking. it looks stock (like you didnt even add an intake) and its silent like stock. so there you have it. oh... anda short ram will be around $90 maybe? an aem cai should be about $180 (the bypass valve is an extra $40) if you can find it on ebay and the icebox is about $255.

whew... that was a lot.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Cruisin'

Wow... short n to the point. thanks alot bro. ill definately be looking into that. i like the sound of the roar.... but cai is def out of hte picture... my car gets washed down enough living in FL... short ram sounds good but doesnt sound like it gives enough... so its down to the short ram or the ice box... it all depends on cash mostly. and whether i want the roar. so you say if i add a bypass valve it will let the water out but id loose some hp... hm... yea so after i pull the money together for my body kit this shouldnt be a problem if i want the ice box. so its up to the roar. lol. thanks again. and since i seem to be getting a good response, any other modifications recommened to start with from anyone? i have a gold TL 01, not type S but cant have everything. i guess everythings stock so anything could work rite now. Gracias
Old 06-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Banned

well... for what its worth, i live in south florida too... and inorder for the ebngine to hydrolock with the cai is if the filter gets submerged about 50%. so lets say you go into a puddle that is 12-16 inches... THEN you'll be screwed. but if you stick your car in a puddle that deep in the first place, then your a moron.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

LoL very tru bro. only thing is the street i live on, it like COLLECTS rain. and when it rains in FL, it pours. if you recall last week it poured like crazy. my street was flooded in multiple parts, not to mention federal highway. i remember i took my car over a puddle a lil too fast n the water hit the engine or somethin cause i smelled it all in my car n the pick up/brakes were responding weakly. but i guess it just needed to rest cause it was fine the next day. :p so yea... im most likely going for the short ram cause im looking most for the roar, and i dont have to worry about the water. if i want real horse power id have to look to exhaust rite? w/e... one thing at a time and i have two things to worry about already. kit n intake.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Banned

exhaust wont do SH!T for the tl. the most you will get is 3hp and even that is questionable. exahust on the tl is for looks and sound. the best performance mod for not a lot of money for the tl is headers.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by str8acura
ok... for chips... there is a chip... its called the unichip, but its madddddd money and like theres only one place that knows how to tune it to give you gains and that place is somewhere in cali i believe.
I concur with str8acura...acurafreak has the unichip in her TL (a member on the other site). I helped (indirectly) to post her dyno results. And as str8acura says, it's expensive! :wow: The gains however were at the crank. She plans on getting a dyno at the wheel to see what kind of gains can be had.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by spyder5786
Are you talking about that thing from ebay? That's PURE bs man. I wouldnt be surprised if it totally F*ed ur engine up. Just get the cold air intake man.
Yes, the E-bay chip is total BS
Old 06-06-2003, 12:40 PM
Racer

damn rain..almost submerged my "custom" homemade intake in a puddle last week...i was still half asleep going to work...oh well...get comptech...clean stock looking...and good gains...worth the extra cash
Old 06-07-2003, 11:24 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
how can anyone say that the injen makes more then the aem, they make about the same. The injen on my tl-p is way louder then the aem on my friends type s. Plus injen has less bends than the aem, and is made by ex aem employees. Here is a vid clip of my car with the injen, enjoy. VIDEO