Old 12-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Comptech Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
american pure muscle....9 sec!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

the thing about the exhaust.

header > catalytic converter > catback exhaust.

the cat is the bottleneck.
so until u change the cat...the exhaust mod is reduced...
right?...Lawaia?...

but my point is...it's not free flow until the cat is replaced...
so one wouldn't really have to worry about retuning/burnt valves...yet still get some gains.

i'm so damn smart...
Old 12-23-2004, 04:09 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DerrickM
So, what are people spending for headers? I assume you have to replace the single pipe that goes back to the split for the two mufflers too?

I'd like to add some horsepower to my 2001 TL, but don't want to spend a ton of money...
so how much horsepower u have now?
same as the TL-S?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lawaia
There are pros and cons to running a free-flow exhaust system, which also includes headers, hi-flow cats and cat-back exhaust system. Free-up the exhaust will reduce your torque and bottom end, but will give you better top-end performance. Also, if the computer cannot adjust for the drastic reduction of back pressure you run the chance of running the fuel mixture too lean which can cause burnt valves. (That's the damage your engine part)
What you say is true. But having said that, I have not read or heard of anyone on ATL.com or any other Honda/Acura enthusiast boards about their headers and exhausts making their car run too lean, and thus giving them burnt valves (ie: damage the engine). This damage could potentially happen, this I do agree. And perhaps there are a few cases of this happening that you know of. But I would say that the cons of running a free-flow exhaust system is minimal.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clarification guys....
In no way am I suggesting that headers WILL cause internal damage to the engine. My original post stated that "IF the computer cannot compensate for the reduced back-pressure" there is a potential for running too lean, and not necessarily with only a header install but with a trio of replacmenets which would include heades, free flow cats and exhaust. I don't know if the computer can compensate...if it can then there should be no problems.
Remember that there are many variables that need to be considered when doing engine modifications. Every component needs to be designed to work with one another in order to yield favorable results.