People who have their windshield tinted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
People who have their windshield tinted?

Well here's the problem, my front windshield has been tinted 55% for about 2 years now. Done at a reputable tint shop in NY where the first time they did it, they got a few dust specs on the windshield which turned into bubbles a year later, very miniscule, 99% of people wouldnt even notice but since we're all anal on this board, I had it redone and they didn't bitch or moan about doing it over again.

Now the second time around when I had it re-done, I noticed that all the cars approaching me with their lights on during the day or at night had halos around them. In other words all lights including signals street lights and headlights appeared to be fuzzy as they would be if it were raining/slight misting. NOTE: Never had this problem the first time when tinted. I told him about this and at first he told me that its normal, just the refelction off the dash, which I vehemently denied and after a huge fiasco met up with the guy at night time by his house and he saw what I was seeing and told me that its normal due to my windshield being slanted. The slant was causing me to notice the grain in the tint more which causes the fuzziness.

I wanted to believe him but I was skeptical because of the shit that he put me through just to get him to agree to meeting up at night after the shop closed and also because I never had this problem the first time around. Also Gee was with me this night so if I didn't describe it well enough maybe he can.

Can somone who has had their windshield tinted please chime and advise if this guy is bullshitting me?

Thank You
Old 06-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Life changes by the day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must be nice, in Nova Scotia (Canada) You can not have any film on your windshield or driver & pass. windows.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NickB
Must be nice, in Nova Scotia (Canada) You can not have any film on your windshield or driver & pass. windows.
Neither can you in NJ or NY (well 70% in NY but thats pretty much nothing), it doesn't mean everyone follows the rules
Old 06-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
* I meant 70% on the side windows in NY, none on the windsheild
Old 06-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by NickB

Your also not suppose to have airfreshners hanging from your rear view since its obstruction of view, but does that stop anyone? LoL :
Old 06-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Life changes by the day

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Your also not suppose to have airfreshners hanging from your rear view since its obstruction of view, but does that stop anyone? LoL :
Oh I would never say we dont tint all our side windows..But I have been pulled over time after time and the fine is $258.00. You would think that the cops would have something more important to take care of.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Haha.. alright well lets get this back to topic, ne one offer any advice or input on my problem??
Old 06-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The guy was trying to explain snell's law from physics but in his own words.... I think it makes sense to a certain degree but it just looks a little too blurry still.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

could be damage to your windshield, like scratches, resulting from the shop trying to scrape off all the glue from the 1st tint job. Which is why the guy might be bullshitting you, since he doesnt want to pay for another windshield. Guess it doesnt pay to be too anal with this. now, dont you wish you kept the 1st tint job??

if i was you, i would get rid of the tint on the whindshield, cause God-forbid you get into an accident, then the other driver's lawyer would have a case against you since you cant see CLEARLY out the windshield.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i can hook u up with some one that does excellent work pm me if your interested.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:06 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
My brother just got 50% done on his windshield, and I couldn't even tell until he reminded me. Then again, the shop that did all of our cars is top notch and doesn't screw around.

Having said that, I do see multiple light projections through my rear window from a single source of light. But I think that's because of the defroster lines. You shouldn't have that problem on the front windshield; at least my brother's car doesn't.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Raj, thats BS, i have plenty of friends with tinted windshields, it looks perfect, there is no glare at all..

he probably used crappy tint film. Im actually gonna tint my windshield soon too.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I have 35% on my windshield and I dont see any halos around oncomming lights
Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 AM
2Poor 2Furious

My guess would be TLover said. The old glue is probably still on the windshield. So the new glue isn't sticking cleanly and flatly to the windshield. There's probably miniscule air pockets/dust/glue/crap that's making the light transmission uneven.

Think about it this way - when your sideview mirrors are dirty, you get a lot more glare due to light reflecting off the crap. I think the only solution would be to remove the tint, use lots of cleaner - goo gone, solvents, etc - then reapply it. You might want to check here and other forums about people who removed old tint and reapplied tint.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:02 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by t0ast
My guess would be TLover said. The old glue is probably still on the windshield. So the new glue isn't sticking cleanly and flatly to the windshield. There's probably miniscule air pockets/dust/glue/crap that's making the light transmission uneven.

Think about it this way - when your sideview mirrors are dirty, you get a lot more glare due to light reflecting off the crap. I think the only solution would be to remove the tint, use lots of cleaner - goo gone, solvents, etc - then reapply it. You might want to check here and other forums about people who removed old tint and reapplied tint.
He offered me a deal where he would take the tint off for free and give me a thin strip on the top of the windshield. However if I wanted it retinted then I had to pay 80 bux. But he assures me that the outcome will be the same. Buff??

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
My brother just got 50% done on his windshield, and I couldn't even tell until he reminded me. Then again, the shop that did all of our cars is top notch and doesn't screw around.

Having said that, I do see multiple light projections through my rear window from a single source of light. But I think that's because of the defroster lines. You shouldn't have that problem on the front windshield; at least my brother's car doesn't.
You know when I had it the first time I did not have a problem only on the second time around, his response was that I'm just noticing it now.

And also he uses Solar Guard Film which is known to be one of the top films for window tint.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:42 AM
sumbdy gettin used 2nite!

I don't have my front done, but a few friends of mine do, but I agree with the person that said that there was still glue on the windshield. It should be just like looking out of your side windows. He ought to do it over again and get it right. I also get glare out of my back window, but like Pure said I think it's from the defroster lines. I doubt that you're just noticing it now, after driving 2 years with it on. Maybe he didn't dry it good

How long ago did you have it re-applied?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by bmoreTLS
I don't have my front done, but a few friends of mine do, but I agree with the person that said that there was still glue on the windshield. It should be just like looking out of your side windows. He ought to do it over again and get it right. I also get glare out of my back window, but like Pure said I think it's from the defroster lines. I doubt that you're just noticing it now, after driving 2 years with it on. Maybe he didn't dry it good

How long ago did you have it re-applied?
Less than 2 months ago.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
it is possible that it is a bad batch of film on the window, you shouldnt have those issues. it shoud be blur free
Old 06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
fstty is correct, i have my whole windshield done 50% i have no problems with halos or anything definatley not normal
Old 06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
it is possible that it is a bad batch of film on the window, you shouldnt have those issues. it shoud be blur free
I have no clue, maybe it is. I've acutally made an appt. with the guy Steve from Tintmax that bigmike posted up above for him to take a look at it, and get a 2nd opinion. I knwo I have to be skeptical when I get a 2nd opinion from another installer, because installers always bash other installers about something.

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
fstty is correct, i have my whole windshield done 50% i have no problems with halos or anything definatley not normal
Well, if the guy from tintmax says its not normal and can be fixed then, I'm going to do it again, and if it is fixed, the other guy in Great Neck has lost a good long time customer for good.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 AM
2Poor 2Furious

Have him take it off and give you something.... maybe have him hookup a friend for tints..... Take your car home, and clean your windshield yourself to make sure it all gets removed.... then take it to someplace else to have it done right.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

haha damn... i hope i get some good discount the next time i go to Tint max =)
good luck Elegant..
Old 06-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by big mike 13
haha damn... i hope i get some good discount the next time i go to Tint max =)
good luck Elegant..
Update: I saw him today, very nice guy, seemed honest, he told me the problem is not the work but the tint itself. Certain tint films magnify the grain more then others. And the reason why I might have not had it the first time around is because he says that within the same roll of tint there might be sections of the tint that is less granier then the other, he's experienced that too he claims. He said he's had this problem with windshield tinting before on other cars and came to the conlusion that only one tint can be used on the shield and that is Lumar Platinum Plus. He took me for a ride in his 5 series and showed me his windshield and wow what a difference.

So I'm going to get it redone here, and I'll report back next week. Also Mike, I mentioned your name in hopes to hook you up next time.

Thanx guys.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:57 AM

Update: I saw him today, very nice guy, seemed honest, he told me the problem is not the work but the tint itself. Certain tint films magnify the grain more then others. And the reason why I might have not had it the first time around is because he says that within the same roll of tint there might be sections of the tint that is less granier then the other, he's experienced that too he claims. He said he's had this problem with windshield tinting before on other cars and came to the conlusion that only one tint can be used on the shield and that is Lumar Platinum Plus. He took me for a ride in his 5 series and showed me his windshield and wow what a difference.

So I'm going to get it redone here, and I'll report back next week. Also Mike, I mentioned your name in hopes to hook you up next time.

Thanx guys.
Great! I'm glad he recognized what was going on. He going to do it for free?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Great! I'm glad he recognized what was going on. He going to do it for free?
I'm getting it done through the tintmax, not the original installer so I have to pay him 50 bux. The original guy agreed to rip it off for free. That's why I said he lost a good customer for life.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a question. Has anyone with a tinted front windshield considered the possible ramifications if involved in an accident. If it is discovered that your windshield was tinted, that could open yourself up to a hell of a lawsuit because I don't think there is one state or province (Canada) that allows anything but the side and rear windows and a thin strip to the AS1 line of the windshield that can be tinted I know many states do not allow any tint on the front door windows.

I hope that something bad never happens, but I would not put myself at risk for litigation for what should be a sure way to get in more trouble should an accident happen. A judge could throw the book at someone in that situation.

Don't get me wrong, I have dark tint, but at night on dark roads, do those of you with tinted windshields feel like you have good sight distance and clarity?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
CJITTY, most of us have tinted windows except the windshield, having the front two windows tinted is already illegal, and if u think about it a good prosecutor will even use any tint on any window as a good attribute to go on. 'He couldnt see because his vision was obstructed by a tinted window'. BOOM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

You know the tinted windshield isn't as bad as most of you guys who don't have it think it is. You need to experience it before saying vision is tremondously reduced. Most of my passengers don't even notcie the difference, except for this time cuz of the dam fool's tint. I defenitely aknowledge its not for everyone.

Plus, there's a lot of shit that is illegal like for example doing TV's in the front of the car where it serves as a distraction to the driver, but I dont see people ever complain about legality when it comes to that?

In all honest the front windshield tinted completes the look of a tinted car, and I advise that you tint the shield the lightest possible like I did and you will be fine. My car is just enough where you can drive the car during the extreme sunlight conditions and need no sunglasses.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 AM

You know the tinted windshield isn't as bad as most of you guys who don't have it think it is. You need to experience it before saying vision is tremondously reduced. Most of my passengers don't even notcie the difference, except for this time cuz of the dam fool's tint. I defenitely aknowledge its not for everyone.

Plus, there's a lot of shit that is illegal like for example doing TV's in the front of the car where it serves as a distraction to the driver, but I dont see people ever complain about legality when it comes to that?

In all honest the front windshield tinted completes the look of a tinted car, and I advise that you tint the shield the lightest possible like I did and you will be fine. My car is just enough where you can drive the car during the extreme sunlight conditions and need no sunglasses.
TV's in the front definitely will get ur a$$ sued in the event of an accident. I haven't seen anyone say they were sued because their tint was too dark after an accident. But like Elegant was kind of saying, it's always harder to look from the outside in with tint than it is from the inside out. So it's not that bad, especially when you've got them nice HID's
Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

TV's in the front definitely will get ur a$$ sued in the event of an accident. I haven't seen anyone say they were sued because their tint was too dark after an accident. But like Elegant was kind of saying, it's always harder to look from the outside in with tint than it is from the inside out. So it's not that bad, especially when you've got them nice HID's
I got 6000K HID's which reduce the light output but then again I also have 6000K HID Fogs to more than make up for the loss!!