Passat GLX vs Acura 3.2TL Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 07:35 PM
Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Passat GLX vs Acura 3.2TL Type-S?

Hey guys...somebody posted the same subject on the www.vwvortex.com a few days ago. Obviously the vast majority of the owners are pro-Passat. If anyone has a few minutes would you mind wandering over to the vortex site and discussing the Passat vs. the TL?

------------------
'00 Firepepper Red TL
Old 03-05-2001, 07:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

What's the point? Their car is a Made in Mexico piece of crap!
Old 03-05-2001, 07:40 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

Thumbs up - to TLDaddy. There is a reason Volkswagon's have a two-year warranty. Ask you local retired mechanic...
Old 03-05-2001, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

A cheap copy of AUDI.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Comptect springs
Old 03-05-2001, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by VTEC:
A cheap copy of AUDI.

As opposed to a luxurious Honda?

------------------
Originally posted by Einstein:
"No torque for you!"
<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by TorqueNazi on March 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-05-2001, 08:06 PM

I currently own a CL Type S, but I seriously considered a Passat GLX. I'd be driving one if the dealer wasn't so slimy (which is what sent me back for my third Acura).

For those who criticize it as cheap or a knock-off, have you driven one? How about taken a ride in one?

IMO, they are terrific cars. Nice, solid german feel. Sweet V6, and... wonder of wonders... available with a true manual transmission . Also, the GLX has a nice list of standard equipment.

True, it shares its platform with 2 Audis: the A4 and the A6, and is between the two in size. The 2.8L V6 is available in those cars, and it's a honey of an engine/chassis/tranny combo IMO; and if you can't take my word for it, search the automotive press... you'll probably find the Passat kicking some butt in a few comparos .

That said, I would put my money on a TL-S sight unseen.

peace,

e harmon
Old 03-05-2001, 08:59 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

I believe that only Golfs, Jettas and Bugs are only made in Mexico(U.S. market), so the Passat must be German made. Having a terrible relationship with the dealer when my family owned a VW, i.e. high repair bills(higher than MBZ), poor build quality, not enough power, high frequency of repairs, weak power windows, very expensive parts, the list goes on and on... The car did look good, and handle like a mofo'

Yes, I like the new VW's and maybe they have changed and make decent cars nowadays, but I will never again buy another VW. NEVER. Even if they get desparate, and just market a Bentley with VW badges, I still would not own one again.

So.. Do yourself a favor and don't buy a VW.
Old 03-05-2001, 09:26 PM
Pro

Originally posted by TL Daddy:
The Passat is made in Emden, Germany.

But that does not detract from the fact that Volkswagens in general are beset with Electrical problems (in addition to other major/minor problems). The Passat has been put together with seemingly good quality materials....but their maker (Volkswagen) unfortunately does not have faith in their own product and generously (NOT !!!) endowed it with a below the industrial average, 2yr/24000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It has got a longer limited powertrain warranty but powertrains alone do not prevent costly repairs from bleeding you dry. Enough said!!!! I think it would be good marketing to give a better warranty for the product if they sincerely believe that it will hold up over time ?!!!

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 03-05-2001, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

A friend of mine opt for the Passat even after trying the TL late last year. She is already having problems with her car: the car won't start @ around freezing temp! I'm sure she'll be more disappointed when I get the TL-S later this year. Why are people comparing the TL with the Passat? The Passat is easy to drive, but definitely not the same class as the TL.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:45 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally posted by TL Daddy:
And I got flamed for posting similar comment on another VW post... LOL
Passats, as was said before, are made in Germany and I know few people who do own the Passat and yet had a problem with the car... you always get a rotten apple and there have been bad TL's also, I don't remember the gys name here but he has a whole slew of problems with his TL...
As far as Passat vs. TL.... Passat was my first choice but my wife didn't like the shape so I had to get the TL...
Overall Passat has better shifting tiptronic than our sport shift, firmer handling, better seats... and lots of minor things that are hard to list after 6 month, thats when I did my research and testing...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-06-2001, 09:55 AM
Instructor

I test drove a V6 Passat a couple of months a go, a day after a CL-S test drive. The VW felt really nice. The 5 speed shifted flawlessly, the engine was powerful and quiet, and the ride was very supple yet firm. The dealer let me take it out alone on some nice windy backroads. Admittedly, after 10 minutes, I WAS BORED! I could not put my finger on it. It came down to general feel and excitement. Eventhough the CL-S is an auto, it had more emotion to it (possibly the more powerful engine). A loaded Passat with 4 motion, V6, and leather was under 32K which I feel is a good deal. What did I do, I put a deposit on a TL-S the next day! Given Acura's dependability and aggresive prices, I went with my gut feelings. I used to own an 88 Scirocco when I was in college. It was good for 2 years and then everything went wrong with it. I swore I'd never by another VW again. Things are better now but given my past experiences, I will stick with the Acura (my 95 Integra GS-R has been a gem and now has over 99K miles).

------------------
95 Integra GS-R Stock

Ordered: 2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 03-06-2001, 02:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

a friend of mine he own a 00 passat GLS.He have problems with ABS,power windows.passage airbag.The ABS doesn't kick in even the front tires was lock up.One time when he start the car the airbag deploy.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Comptect springs