Parking in the Street Security Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 12:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in the Street Security Concerns

I am planning on buying a used 3.2 TL or BMW 328i and taking it to school with me in Cleveland, OH (Case Western Reserve University). My only concerns are that (a) the car will be parked outside (b) the car may be parked in the street.

Parking the car outside will be inevitable; I do not have a choice. However, the car will either be parked in the street next to where I am living or in a parking lot that has a gated entrance and guard tower in the center. The problem is that I have applied for a parking permit in the secured lot, however permits are limited and I will not find out if I got one until the middle of August. My dad says that I shold have the car by the end of July that way I can make sure that it is free of mechanical problems before driving it all the way to Cleveland.

Has anyone here had problems with parking in the street (the streets surrounding the school aren't terrible in terms of crime but like any place, theft and vandalisms have occured)?

This is the only year that I may have to park on the streets, and it is possible that I may get a permit in the begining of the year if I do not get one now.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2002, 12:20 AM
STi
Racer

well, you never know
too many people are jealous of good looking cars like the TLs and they just your car... unfortunately

but life is too short for worrying about these kind of things, i'm sure you're a good person (all TLers are good people ) and good things happen to good people!

really though, bad things can happen, doesn't matter where your car is parked, but we just hope they don't happen

hope you have good luck and enjoy whichever cars you buy, both great cars
Old 07-22-2002, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

out or sight /out of mind........if u buy a car cover a cheapo one and keep it from sight most of the time this might help ...a good alarm is always a good idea and any other anti theft devices.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I went to CWRU and still visit regularly. The streets around CWRU are pretty well patrolled, mostly by the Gestapo (uups, I mean the University Circle police) and heavily populated at most times of the day and night. If you're talking about parking on the street, you must be in one of the north side dorms, around which there is precious little lot parking. I wouldn't worry too much about your car, it's not a GM, which are the most common cars stolen here in Cleveland. There aren't enough TLs here to make yours a target for parts, and I've never heard of anyone in any car losing their HIDs here (yet). Joyriders are possible but this sort of thief is kept at bay by loud alarms, especially around CWRU. If you are still concerned, just beef up your standard alarm. Car cover is also a great idea but is a bit inconvenient.

And remember, any pro who wants to take your car will do so anyway, no matter what countermeasures you put on your car, so you can't spend life worrying about it!
Old 07-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by neuronbob
I went to CWRU and still visit regularly. The streets around CWRU are pretty well patrolled, mostly by the Gestapo (uups, I mean the University Circle police) and heavily populated at most times of the day and night. If you're talking about parking on the street, you must be in one of the north side dorms, around which there is precious little lot parking. I wouldn't worry too much about your car, it's not a GM, which are the most common cars stolen here in Cleveland. There aren't enough TLs here to make yours a target for parts, and I've never heard of anyone in any car losing their HIDs here (yet). Joyriders are possible but this sort of thief is kept at bay by loud alarms, especially around CWRU. If you are still concerned, just beef up your standard alarm. Car cover is also a great idea but is a bit inconvenient.

And remember, any pro who wants to take your car will do so anyway, no matter what countermeasures you put on your car, so you can't spend life worrying about it!
Actually, I'm living on south side. I'm not sure if there is street parking there (I hear there may be some on top of the hill). I did talk to someone at CWRU parking and I was toldthat I can get a Commuter permit and move the car into an evening ot on South Side after 4:30 PM. Only thing is that it has to be out of that lot by 7:30 AM.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

There used to be some street parking on Murray Hill road, but there is also limited street parking at the top of the hill. I personally find it unacceptable that residential students at CWRU have so few options for parking...maybe I can donate some of my alumni money to the cause
Old 07-22-2002, 02:27 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NSXPilot i have to disagree with you on the car cover thing. Reason being, every time i see a car with a cover on i always wonder what it is. Imagine a thief, they would go to that car right away thinking that he is hiding something. And then people will be like oh, he thinks his car is the best and key it and do stupid things that stupid people do.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

when I was in college I was afraid of my car getting vandalized all the time being parked outside all the time....however, to my suprise, nothing ever happened to it! This was in Bowling Green Ohio though, Cleveland might be a different story. There is really nothing you can do.....somebody mentioned getting a car cover, I wouldn't recommend that, it's just gonna want to make people mess with it even more. Just get some good insurance and pray!
Old 07-22-2002, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by accordv6
when I was in college I was afraid of my car getting vandalized all the time being parked outside all the time....however, to my suprise, nothing ever happened to it! This was in Bowling Green Ohio though, Cleveland might be a different story. There is really nothing you can do.....somebody mentioned getting a car cover, I wouldn't recommend that, it's just gonna want to make people mess with it even more. Just get some good insurance and pray!
What kind of car did you have?
Was it always parked in the street, or was it in a lot?

I just ordered my car from Rallye Motors; BMW. I'm getting a 2000 BMW 323i with 31K miles, silver/black, premium package for $25,500. I would have gotten a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL, but the only 2000 in silver that I could find at a dealer was for $24,495 at Rallye Acura with about 30K miles. If this car had navigation, I would have definitely gotten it, however, the price was a bit high for waht the car had. Also, $25,500 is a great price for a 00 323i especially or the condition and equipment of the car.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Safety Car

I have parked on the street for over a year. And I have 19" chrome rims, etc etc. Just buy a really good alarm that has a motion sensor, shock sensor, etc. I also sleep next to a window overlooking it.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:57 PM
Advanced

I have been parking at my highschool for about a year and a half now, and its been fine. Besides you might not have the best car in the lot, at my highschool kids drive porsches and benz and bimmers so I think its fine as long as its a decent place
Old 07-22-2002, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Teedoh
I have been parking at my highschool for about a year and a half now, and its been fine. Besides you might not have the best car in the lot, at my highschool kids drive porsches and benz and bimmers so I think its fine as long as its a decent place
Only problem is that I'm leaving my car overnight.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by neuronbob
There used to be some street parking on Murray Hill road, but there is also limited street parking at the top of the hill. I personally find it unacceptable that residential students at CWRU have so few options for parking...maybe I can donate some of my alumni money to the cause
I feel the same way.

I called someone at CWRU parking and they told me that if I don't have a permit, I should not bring my car. I'm not sure if parking in the street is really a big problem (they say that it is). Should I not have a car simply for these reaons? Does this mean I should cancel the order for my BMW?

CWRU is awful about parking!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MrMan95

What kind of car did you have?
Was it always parked in the street, or was it in a lot?

I
First two years I had a Z28 Camaro....last two years I had a civic si with a ton of mods...nobody ever bother either one... I take that back...somebody hawked a loog on my windshield once, but it didn't do any damage, but it still pissed me off! I parked in a lot my first two years, which was out in the middle of nowhere with no supervision, the last two years I parked on the street.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by MrMan95

I feel the same way.

I called someone at CWRU parking and they told me that if I don't have a permit, I should not bring my car. I'm not sure if parking in the street is really a big problem (they say that it is). Should I not have a car simply for these reaons? Does this mean I should cancel the order for my BMW?

CWRU is awful about parking!!!
What morons.
I'm glad I was a commuter student (med students tend not to live in the dorms).