Painted Spoiler & Underbody Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted Spoiler & Underbody Kits

I'm planning on buying a '02 TL-S. The dealer near my house has a wide selection with the spoiler and unberbody kits as dealer installed options. The sticker lists the spoiler for $800 and the underbody kit for $1,600. Outrageous! I see you can buy the painted spoiler for $279 and the underbody kit for $800 so basically they are doubling the price.

I'm wondering how closely the paint matches on these ones you can buy pre-painted. (I'm thinking of getting diamond white.) Also wondering if the spoiler is difficult to install. It seems to me the these parts have to be probably the easiest accessories to install yourself.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Mine matches 100%. The kits are genuine Acura parts and are prepainted by Acura, not by Tim or his company, so the match is as good as the ones in the dealership. The only difference is the ridiculous markup the dealer charges + tax.
Old 07-02-2001, 11:05 PM
Pro

The parts you see on this site and at www.autocarparts.com are exactly the same as what you see at the dealership. The OEM body kit and spoiler come from the factory prepainted to match the cars. Since these are plastic parts being painted as opposed to the metal body, there may be a slight variation in color but in most cases it matches very well. The spoiler comes with a template for drilling the holes. Many of the members on this site have installed the kits themselves without any problems.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:31 AM
Intermediate

Angry OEM Spoiler & Body Kit Color Match

I own a WDP TL-S w/Navi and the prepainted OEM Spoiler color matches just fine.

However, as stated in an earlier post, there is a color shade difference with the prepainted OEM body kit, at least for WDP paint. It is very noticeable on a WDP TL-S, especially against the front/rear bumpers.

In fact, there is a color shade difference on a stock WDP TL-S between the front/rear bumpers (plyable plastic parts) and the rest of the car body (metal parts); the plastic parts seem to have a "yellowish" tint. Not very impressive for a +$30K vehicle (where is Acura's quality control?).

Note: Anybody with a WDP complained to Acura about this and got the problem resolved?? If yes, how did they resolve it? If no, what did they tell you?

If I had to make the OEM body kit decision over again, I'd pass on it because of the WDP color shade difference. Note: The other TL-S colors apparently don't seem to have this problem (not sure about Silver).
Old 07-04-2001, 06:25 AM
jr
Instructor

i have a 01 tl with wdp paint and it has the shade thing going on on the" stock" lower body trim. when i said something about it they looked at me like i was nuts, they said it looks like good match to them !!!
Old 07-04-2001, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Ahh crap, why did it have to be the color I like. Well the agean blue is a very close second (if not a tie). It's really cool looking and goes very well with silver rims. Only problem is I wanted the tan interior and blue only comes with black. While black will get hot, I guess it won't show the scuff marks from my kids kicking the backs of the seats like tan would.

I'll have to take a close look at the mismatch at the dealer. I didn't notice but the cars hadn't been washed and were all covered with a fine layer of pollen.
Old 07-05-2001, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Post Alternative to Painted OEM Body Kit

Of course, one option would be to buy the unpainted body kit, then take it to a body shop and have them paint the pieces (front/rear, side rails) to match the different body colors (ie, plastic bumpers vs metal body). Still seems like a real hassle for a +$30K car.
Old 07-05-2001, 01:37 AM
Ex-Acura Die Hard Veteran

If I were to choose the Wings West over the OEM body kit, how much would it be to paint?
Dave