Painted Spoiler: OEM vs. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painted Spoiler: OEM vs. Aftermarket

Just wanted to get input on factory OEM vs. Aftermarket rear spoilers. I know both are available on this site, and there's a pretty wide price difference between the 2.
Has anybody been able to compare the 2 offered here or seen any other brands/models available?
And how hard is it to install at home? Or would it just be better overall to pony up the additional bucks to have it done by a "pro"?
Any input is appreciated.
2000 TL no nav.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Racer

i have aftermarket spoiler and it is very easy to install alone...just drill 2 holes run the wire to ur break light and your done...and it looks exactly like the OEM one..
Old 02-18-2003, 06:33 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They should look identical although my friend has a silver cl with an aftermarket painted spoiler that has a little more bluish green in the paint. It matches pretty well, but you can really notice at night.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The aftermarket spoiler will have a 15.5" brake LED
the OEM has a 17" one
Old 02-18-2003, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

the factory spoiler is SO much more money there is hardly any justification for spending the extra for it. So the LED light may be a little smaller (assuming the post above is correct) but whose going to notice that and even if someone does, no biggie!

Save all the xtra cash and spend it on an additional upgrade. I got my spoiler from Sportwing.com for $200 shipped. Not only does the spoiler fit perfectly, but the paint job was primo! I have White Diamond Pearl which is a multistage paint, especially hard to match because of the pearlessence, and they did a phenominal job. Also, no dust or specs in the paint either.

In the end its your cash so its up to you, but to me its a no brainer :cop:
Old 02-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

One thing you get with the OEM spoiler is stiffer trunk lid torsion springs. Makes a difference with the added weight of the spoiler.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
cant you adjust the factory torsions to the other setting and stiffen it up a little?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah i adjusted them to the stronger setting, but it doesnt do much. You can get the stronger torsion springs at the Acura Parts department for about $25. I was going to get them myself but i didnt bother because having the trunk pop all the way up is really not important to me.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

I checked out the Sportwing.com site. Good price on a painted spoiler. I've probably got a pretty easy color: Dark Emerald Pearl.
I was expecting to pay a lot more since the dealer was asking for about $1,200.00 for one. And you say the torsion springs are also pretty easy to do? 'Cause that sounds like a pretty good idea.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

WOOOPS!!!!!! I goofed. I got my spoiler from SPOILERDEPOT.com not Sportwing.com

I can only vouch for SpoilerDepot, not the other site.

I originally contacted them when they were selling the spoilers on ebay. (maybe they still do? if so it should cost you $175 painted when you use "Buy it Now") The spoiler is like $105, and they charge $70 to paint it. Here is a current link:

ebay linky to SpoilerDepot Acura TL Spoiler

There are like 3 or 4 vendors that regularly sell through ebay, and i emailed each with a question or two. When Spoilerdepot responded, i could tell who they were based on their email address so i called them on the phone. The guy i talked to was very nice and he explained the fancy dustless roatating spray booth setup they have for the spoilers the do. They make the spoilers on site and do 8 coats of primer and paint in total. After the first primer coat, the painter goes over the entire spoiler for flaws and sands them out. They do the same after the paint and before the top coat. I am very picky when it comes to detail, and especially paint, and i can assure you there is not one dust spec or sandpaper line on my spoiler. For the job they did, i would have easily paid them twice what it actually cost me. Plus they really do pack it correctly so the $25 for shipping is legitimate.

btw, if you want to bypass the ebay BS (because i know they used to have a higher price listed for the spoiler on their website then they were selling 'em for through ebay) you might just call them up and ask for the guy that handles the ebay sales (i forget his name but at the time there was only one guy in particular that handled the ebay sales- if need be i think i may still have the invoice in my desk drawer at work) and tell him a friend ordered one from them a little while back, and he told me that if i had my friend call him, he would give him the same $175 price, painted and all without bothering to bid through ebay. (This is not BS but a true story because at the time my friend was looking for the rear spoiler for his Accord, and i did inquiry about the price for him.)