Pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Speaker City Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pads and rotors

Okay, I know that there was a TSB for the vibration in the brakes. We all know that this is because the stock rotors are junk. The dealer does not seem to want to replace my rotors, or resurface them or even slap the pads. My 99 has 59k and I bought it "Certified" This extends the warranty to 6 years 62,000 miles. 6 years from the original "in service" date which was 3/30/99 thus I am out of warranty on the time aspect.

My questions are these:

Has anyone had their brakes repaired for no charge off of warranty as a result of the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)?

If not, what would you guys recommend for replacement pads, and rotors as the Acura rotors are too expensive and they are obviously junk? I do not want to spend an ass ton of money on them and I am not looking to mod my car out. It is pretty stock and that is fine with me.

I see some on ebay of course and they vary from about $85 up to $270 or so. Are rotors a case of "You get what you pay for" or are their cheaper alternatives
Old 09-10-2004, 09:15 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
the Search option on this forum does miracles, you should defintely use it
Old 09-11-2004, 01:52 AM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by teknoking
the Search option on this forum does miracles, you should defintely use it
http://acura-tl.com/forums/search.php?searchid=111862

tons of threads with lots of info about brakes all over the place hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i was thinkin of the same thing. i want to replace my rotors and pads. i'm no car expert so i don't know how or what to look for. i just know i want to get slotted rotors (i read cross drilled were bad??). nothing fancy just something that works and good for the money. the same goes w/ brakes. i need to replace them now, but don't know what to get. i do'nt want the stock ones or whatever they put in last time i changed them. too much dust on the rims. what do you call the thing that gets painted on the brakes? i want to paint them. i mean, like what gets replaced when you go get brakes changed?? <-- see what i mean about "i'm no car expert"
Old 09-11-2004, 12:48 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwasthat
yeah i was thinkin of the same thing. i want to replace my rotors and pads. i'm no car expert so i don't know how or what to look for. i just know i want to get slotted rotors (i read cross drilled were bad??). nothing fancy just something that works and good for the money. the same goes w/ brakes. i need to replace them now, but don't know what to get. i do'nt want the stock ones or whatever they put in last time i changed them. too much dust on the rims. what do you call the thing that gets painted on the brakes? i want to paint them. i mean, like what gets replaced when you go get brakes changed?? <-- see what i mean about "i'm no car expert"
most people here recommends EBC Greenstuff brake pads (also hawk) and Rotora rotors (brembo's too)

Now i dont recommend changing brakes yourself if you dont even know the parts involved (no offense man). Brakes are a vital part of a car and if something is to go wrong later due to lack of experience during the installation... oh boy, not good ya?

here's a picture of the parts you were referring to (brake pads are underneath the caliper)
Old 09-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

i have ebc greenstuff pads and rotora slotted rotors. \

NOTE: the greenstuff pads are GREEN! i didnt know this. they also have them in red blue and yellow
Old 09-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
just paint them bro

and red and blue are racing pads, unless you are driving a nascar i wouldnt recommend them because you will not stop until the pads are fully heated.

what you have is a great set!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by teknoking
just paint them bro

and red and blue are racing pads, unless you are driving a nascar i wouldnt recommend them because you will not stop until the pads are fully heated.

what you have is a great set!
oh serious?!?! i thought they were just different colors. im gonna paint my calipers red, ima just paint the pads red as well