P0131 Code Set and Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 05:38 PM
USAF Veteran

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
P0131 Code Set and Fixed

The hits just keep on coming. After changing out the PS hose, I took my 2001 TL for a test drive. Steering seemed fine and fluid level remained full. Since I had greasy handprints all over the door and lower panels, I headed for my local car wash. Bear in mind my TL has been through this wash a few dozen times already. On my way home, suddenly the CEL lights up. Get home, pull the codes and it the P0131. No other codes. Since the whole area near the connector was washed with oil from my VC leak and PS hose change, I had washed out the area before the trip to the car wash. I thought maybe some degreaser or water got into the connector and shorted it out. I managed to reach the connector and disconnect, then sprayed out with contact cleaner. Reconnected, cleared the codes, went for a drive. Took a few short drives and CEL lights again. This time with the TCS light (could not turn off). Checked the codes again and only the P0131. My scan tool doesn't do ABS but I read in a few places that the TCS light can illuminate with a CEL.

Anyway, bought a Denso sensor on Amazon and replaced it this morning. Even such a simple job fought back. The sensor side of the connector slips on a bracket. You have to depress the tab to slide it off. Of course, the space is filled with grit, grease and goo, so pressing the tab enough was tough. I managed to use some compressed air to blow the crud out, of course falling on my face, and the connector finally surrendered. The rest was a simple as it's supposed to be. The Denso came with a small tube of copper anti-seize. Nicely done Denso.

Reset codes again. Been out several times today and CEL remains off as does the TCS light. Car runs well. So I'm calling it done.

It's just that I've been chasing an oil leak. The VC gaskets definately leaked so I replaced them. That lead to a PS hose leak by the pump. The PS hose wrapup resulted in the CEL light and O2 sensor swap. I still have the oil leak. I just have fewer. I'll create a separate thread to try to address the remaining leak(s). My TL is at 229K.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:32 AM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That's interesting. I have a 2000 TL and apparently had an oil leak at one point. Main symptom was that I could smell oil burning. Dipstick looks fine. But when I looked at the engine, there was oil all over the VC in the front. Not sure when it started leaking or for how long. Ended up having the VC gaskets replaced. A couple fo weeks later (I don't drive it much), the CEL comes on (and maybe the TCS at one point, but it's not on now). I notice some rough idling when stopped at a red light.

I can see the O2 sensor connector (upstream O2), and it looks pretty grimy. I've tried disconnecting, but I'm not sure if I'm squeezing in the right place (doing it from the top), or if it's just too caked up with oil. Seems like the top part is mounted, and the bottom part should just drop out. I also wonder if it's throwing the code because there's oil in the connector. Just seems too coincidental that the O2 sensor goes bad so soon after replacing the VC gaskets.

Thoughts?

Old 01-29-2024, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by cbridges
I have a 2000 TL...
Just seems too coincidental that the O2 sensor goes bad so soon after replacing the VC gaskets.
How many miles are on the car?
If the O2 sensors are original to the car, they are over twenty y/o; therefore, one or both going bad at anytime now is reasonable, IMHO.
In addition, I remember that connector being a PIA to disconnect.
Sometimes it is easier to release upwards (red arrow) the whole connector from the black bracket (yellow arrow & may have to be done from under the car?) first in-order to get a better angle / position for disconnection (from the top of the car?).

The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:16 AM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

It's a 2000 TL with 113K miles. (Yeah, pretty low mileage, but I've lived close to work for the last 18 years, and we usually take my wife's car on trips. So I only put on about 3K miles / year these days.)

I'm pretty certain that I've had the O2 sensors replaced before, but hard to remember exactly when, since the car is 23.5 years old now. I just mean that it's odd that this is popping up right after an oil leak (plus, it's covered with oil). Doesn't seem hard or expensive to replace though, as long as I can get under the car. May need to buy ramps and jack stands.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
If you decide to DIY the O2('s), rockauto usually has the best price & you can usually rent the sensor removal tool at a local auto parts store like autozone.
Old 01-29-2024, 08:52 AM
USAF Veteran

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
How many miles are on the car?
If the O2 sensors are original to the car, they are over twenty y/o; therefore, one or both going bad at anytime now is reasonable, IMHO.
In addition, I remember that connector being a PIA to disconnect.
Sometimes it is easier to release upwards (red arrow) the whole connector from the black bracket (yellow arrow & may have to be done from under the car?) first in-order to get a better angle / position for disconnection (from the top of the car?).
@cbridges Yep, I recall having to unbolt the bracket, yielding a bit more slack, in order to depress the tab and separate the connectors. Bracket bolt was only reachable from below.

As I recall. the bottom part (the sensor side) clips into the bracket. The top (harness side) has the tab to unlatch them. I tried to release the connector from bracket but you have to slide it up and there wasn't enough slack.

In hindsight, since I was replacing the sensor, I should have just cut the harness.