OnStar renewal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OnStar renewal

Has anyone NOT renewed their OnStar (after the free first year)?

Why?

I read something where it said the overall OnStar renewal rate was only 20something percent.

I was curious as to why someone would not want to renew.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My parents have something similar to onstar (but on a mercedes) and they did not renew it as well. Reason being is that during the 1st year of ownership, they did not use the feature even once. The value is not there since you have to pay yearly to keep it live...AND you have to pay for every minute you do actually use it. It may be usefull for some1 without a cell phone, but almost everyone has a cell phone nowadays, so if you ever need help, you can use a cell phone instead.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro

its more like insurance. In case sh*t happens kinda service. I do like the stolen vehicle tracking though. That alone might be worth the renewal.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

I am going to renew mine.
For $16.00 a month you get an emergency cell phone, locksmith, engine diagnostic tool and a better stolen vehicle tracking system than Lojack.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Canadian Acura's

You guys are lucky. In Canada, we can't get Onstar or nav on any of our Acura's. You can only get Onstar with GM vehicles here so far
Old 08-28-2003, 01:38 AM
Instructor

Why not to renew it...anyone else notice how the number of monthly bills has gone up more and more as time goes on? Nevermind the normal stuff--rent/morgage, gas/car/insurance, utilities etc. Some of us now have cellphone, XM radio, Sat TV, DSL, and a fitness club bill just to mention a few. another 16.50 a month may not sound much, but when you add up the misc crap we all subscribe to, I'd rather use that 16.50 on something else--and I have enough faith in the key based immobilizer to deter theft.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think OnStar is nothing less than another insurance BS !!! I rather use it to pay my AAA memberships to get roadside assistant and other benefits such as discount tickets, paying DMV registration, maps , travel guides, etc etc etc ...

Just my $0.02.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:06 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Acura Roadside Assistance comes FREE with the car for three years and offers a lot of what OnStar offers. The only thing that OnStar offers above and beyond is the airbag deployment thing, and the stolen vehicle tracking ... I'd rather save the $200/year and spend it elsewhere.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Intermediate

I renewed mine for one year. Someone mentioned the other day that you can renew it for 3 months at the time you need it. Didn't check that out but that would be another reason not to renew. I think I used mine once the first year and it was worth it. Locked my keys in the car parked in someones yard for a Badger Football game. Called and the car was unlocked in 5 minutes. That was OnStar not Acura service, right?
Old 08-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Instructor

LiQiCe, Acura roadside assistance is free for the length of the warranty (4 yr 50k miles).

I should have mentioned in my original post, I have renewed mine, and will continue to do so. I think $199 for 15 months (they gave me 3 free) is well worth knowing that if I plow in to a tree in the middle of the night in the middle of BFE that someone will come to my rescue. The other features (remote lockout, etc) are nice as well. I do find the personal calling minutes to be outrageously expensive though.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by MadisonTLS
I renewed mine for one year. Someone mentioned the other day that you can renew it for 3 months at the time you need it. Didn't check that out but that would be another reason not to renew. I think I used mine once the first year and it was worth it. Locked my keys in the car parked in someones yard for a Badger Football game. Called and the car was unlocked in 5 minutes. That was OnStar not Acura service, right?
Remote unlocking ala the Batman commercials for OnStar is in fact an OnStar service. If you lock yourself out of your car and you are under warranty (like scottt said, its 4 years not 3 ... my bad), then you can call Roadside assistance and they will come over and have someone open the car for you (usually by using the coat hanger type of trick).

Here's a cheaper way to unlock the doors incase you lock yourself out, goto Home Depot and pay $1.00 to have a copy of your car key made. It will allow you to open the doors, but not start the car since you don't have the chip in there ... but, for $1.00 you keep that spare key in your wallet and like magic you can unlock the doors.

I dunno, I guess the $199 a year is just too much for me. Others might find the services worthwhile ...
Old 08-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Pro

I think I would renew it for the stolen vehicle tracking. Its not worth it to everyone but it is to me. To each there own
Old 08-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Instructor

I renewed it a few months ago for the tracking of stolen vehicle feature, nothing else. I did not use it at all the 1st year. Wondering here if I did the right thing renewing. Guess next year will have to think about it a bit longer
Old 08-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Race Director

this is the reason they did not include it in the 2004 TL..

Also It is like insurance, its for incidents..

I remember this guy that crashed his car
and ONSTAR CALLED HIM and he did not respond
and next thing he knew, he woke up in a ambulance..

Another story, one guy hit another guy and just to make sure everything is ok, ONSTAR Called him..

also if u lock yourself out, they can unlock the car for you..

The Cell phone feature is useless, it is TOO EXPENSIVE TO USE!

But that stolen car tracking would be cool, but $16/month * 12 = $192/Year

Thats way too much
Old 08-29-2003, 01:07 AM
Liquid Ice

My guess is that if your car is stolen and you really want it back ... OnStar isn't going to tell you that you can't sign up for a year. They're going to let you sign up ... So if the car does get stolen and its worth the $200 to you at that point ... then you can call and renew. Its not like the system becomes completely unusable after you fail to renew ... you can always sign back up at anytime.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:41 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by LiQiCE
My guess is that if your car is stolen and you really want it back ... OnStar isn't going to tell you that you can't sign up for a year. They're going to let you sign up ... So if the car does get stolen and its worth the $200 to you at that point ... then you can call and renew. Its not like the system becomes completely unusable after you fail to renew ... you can always sign back up at anytime.
I was thinking the same thing, but than everyone would never renew and than when they need it, call ONSTAR UP..

Like say for example I locked my keys in the car and I have no more keys.. And say the Locksmith or whoever will charge $40, I can call up onstar sign up for $16/month and have them unlock it and cancel the subscription at end of the month.. So I got my car unlocked for $16?

I guess but I dont think it would be that easy.. Maybe they have a "process" that does not let the system initialize for 2 days or something.. Or maybe they have a policy, to activate you must have your car, or maybe they send you some special code that u have to enter somehow into the onstar computer in the car..
Old 08-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally posted by 2004TL
I was thinking the same thing, but than everyone would never renew and than when they need it, call ONSTAR UP..

Like say for example I locked my keys in the car and I have no more keys.. And say the Locksmith or whoever will charge $40, I can call up onstar sign up for $16/month and have them unlock it and cancel the subscription at end of the month.. So I got my car unlocked for $16?

I guess but I dont think it would be that easy.. Maybe they have a "process" that does not let the system initialize for 2 days or something.. Or maybe they have a policy, to activate you must have your car, or maybe they send you some special code that u have to enter somehow into the onstar computer in the car..
Dunno, how quickly it would work for the unlocking your doors, but I think for the vehicle theft thing it would work ... Especially if you're willing to sign up for the year. Its extra money in OnStar's pocket!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt use it once in the first year. I re-newed this year only for the stolen vehicle tracking. Its basically a lojack, so its worth the $18 a month. I pis away way more than that, so for the peace of mind its worth it.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:34 PM
Race Director

O you have to sign up for a year? You cant sign up for just a month?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by scottt
...if I plow in to a tree in the middle of the night in the middle of BFE
Two questions:

1. Where is the "middle of BFE" anyway?
2. Do you really think that thieves don't know how to pull the appropriate wire(s) and/or fuse to disable the GPS transmitter?

rw
Old 09-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by sparky57
Two questions:

1. Where is the "middle of BFE" anyway?
2. Do you really think that thieves don't know how to pull the appropriate wire(s) and/or fuse to disable the GPS transmitter?

rw
BFE= bum f*ck Egypt

The stolen tracking is a nice feature, but not a huge one for me. I know if a pro takes the car it's long gone. Fine with me, $500 deductible later and I'm driving a new car.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:00 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
From what I understand, OnStar will still dispatch emergency help if your air bag deploys even if you are no longer a subscriber. It's probably the same situation as cell phones. Cell companies will pick up 911 calls on any cell phone - registered subscriber or not. I'm not sure if it's a liability issue or just a public good issue.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:04 PM
2003 TL-S NAVI BLK ON BLK

I went to go cancel my on star and they lowered my monthly rate to keep me FYI. Its at $12.95 a month now.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Onstar service won't be available moving forward...it's all analog equipment which Onstar has stated that they will not support after a certain point in the very near future... I think it might be 2007...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:21 AM
2003 TL-S NAVI BLK ON BLK

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
Onstar service won't be available moving forward...it's all analog equipment which Onstar has stated that they will not support after a certain point in the very near future... I think it might be 2007...
Where did you read this?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ezyemail
Where did you read this?
Both Acura and Onstar have this information on their website...you need to do a little digging, but it's there... Here is something direct from the Onstar site:

Analog to Digital Update

In November 2002, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers would no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008.

Currently, OnStar relies on a nationwide analog wireless network, as it provides the most extensive coverage. OnStar wants to make you aware of this ruling, and we want to assure you that, if you have an analog-equipped system, your OnStar system will continue to be functional until January 1, 2008.

Beginning January 1, 2008, however, OnStar services in the U.S. and Canada will be available only through equipment that operates on the digital network. OnStar subscribers with affected equipment will be contacted with additional information well in advance of January 1, 2008.

Please note: 2006-model-year vehicles and newer are not affected by this change. If you have an earlier model-year vehicle, click here for Frequently Asked Questions, including system limitations and details.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Pro

Both Acura and Onstar have this information on their website...you need to do a little digging, but it's there... Here is something direct from the Onstar site:

Analog to Digital Update

In November 2002, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ruled that wireless carriers would no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008.

Currently, OnStar relies on a nationwide analog wireless network, as it provides the most extensive coverage. OnStar wants to make you aware of this ruling, and we want to assure you that, if you have an analog-equipped system, your OnStar system will continue to be functional until January 1, 2008.

Beginning January 1, 2008, however, OnStar services in the U.S. and Canada will be available only through equipment that operates on the digital network. OnStar subscribers with affected equipment will be contacted with additional information well in advance of January 1, 2008.

Please note: 2006-model-year vehicles and newer are not affected by this change. If you have an earlier model-year vehicle, click here for Frequently Asked Questions, including system limitations and details.
Here's some more info from Onstar...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...iew=tech_equip
Old 09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Pro

Here's some more info from Onstar...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...iew=tech_equip
Here is some info I got off of the Acura site inside the "Owner Link" login (not available on their general/main site)...

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR 2003 TL OWNERS ABOUT ONSTAR ANALOG SERVICE TERMINATION:

Since it was launched in 1996, OnStar has relied on an analog wireless network to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles. Today, the analog network continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the United States and Canada. However, wireless carriers in the U.S. and Canada have begun to shift from analog to digital networks.

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ruled that wireless carriers, like Verizon and Cingular, will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008. As a result, the analog infrastructure is disappearing in the U.S. Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the U.S. and Canada will only be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

As a result of these actions, Acura and OnStar will no longer be supporting Analog OnStar service as of December 31, 2007.

The turn-off of analog OnStar service to this vehicle includes loss of automatic airbag deployment notification, along with the rest of OnStar’s current services.

Due to the complicated nature of converting to digital technology, Acura and OnStar will be unable to retrofit this vehicle for future OnStar use after the termination date. If you have any questions regarding analog service termination, contact your Acura Dealer or see the following list of Frequently Asked Questions:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ONSTAR ANALOG SERVICE TERMINATION:

What different types of equipment do Acura OnStar-equipped vehicles have?
All OnStar-equipped vehicles have one of two types of equipment:

Analog-Only: OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment were designed to operate only on the analog wireless network and cannot be upgraded for digital network compatibility. Vehicles with this equipment will no longer be able to receive OnStar services beginning January 1, 2008. At that time, service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Analog-only vehicles cannot be upgraded to digital equipment.

Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital): Vehicles that operate with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment operate on both networks and will not require an upgrade in connection with the industry’s transition to the digital network.

What kind of hardware does my OnStar-equipped vehicle have?
To determine the equipment type in an OnStar-equipped vehicle, you may:

What you do... If the system responds... Then the vehicle's equipment is...
Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button.

(If there is no white-dot or phone button, the vehicle has an analog-only system.)

System replies "Ready" Analog-Only
Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button.

Step #2: Say "Help" System replies "OnStar Ready"
Along with other options, you hear one of these digital-specific options: "Advisor Playback," "Digit Dial" or "Digit Store." Dual-Mode
(Analog/Digital)

What is analog?
Analog wireless service operates in the 800 MHz frequency range. Analog service transmits voice on a continuous radio wave using frequency modulation similar to an FM radio. All 800 MHz analog systems operate under a common industry standard, known as Advanced Mobile Phone Services (AMPS).

Why is digital the new alternative?
Digital technology allows a higher volume of cellular communication everywhere with clearer quality overall.

How does the transition to the digital network affect me right now?
You don’t need to do anything at this time. The analog network still has the most extensive coverage available in the U.S. and Canada. In addition, the FCC ruling requires wireless carriers to support the analog network until early 2008.

Will I still be able to get an OnStar subscription after January 1, 2008?
Yes, OnStar service will be available to vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. If your vehicle has analog-only equipment, you will not be able to receive OnStar service as of January 1, 2008.

Will my OnStar-equipped vehicle’s analog-only system still work after January 1, 2008?
No. As of early 2008, wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog network. Therefore, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar will offer service only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Digital service has been around for a while – why does OnStar still utilize analog service?
When OnStar was launched in 1996, analog was the most prevalent wireless service available and provided the widest range of coverage for nationwide service. Even today, analog continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada. Vehicle manufacturers are now producing most OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, and are expected to produce only dual-mode (analog/digital) OnStar-equipped vehicles by 2006.

Will a digital upgrade program be available for subscribers with analog-only?
No. Due to the complicated nature of converting to digital technology, Acura and OnStar will be unable to retrofit these vehicles for future OnStar use after the termination date.

What is the FCC?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is a U.S. government agency charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC’s jurisdiction covers the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. possessions.

Where do I go with questions about the FCC ruling regarding the wireless transition from analog to digital networks?
For more information about the FCC ruling, visit www.fcc.gov, or click here for a downloadable version of the ruling.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 AM
3rd Gear

Due to the complicated nature of converting to digital technology, Acura and OnStar will be unable to retrofit this vehicle for future OnStar use after the termination date. If you have any questions regarding analog service termination, contact your Acura Dealer or see the following list of Frequently Asked Questions:

This is a complete crock of s#it. I have a 03 TL and an 03 Chevy Avalanche. Both had analog Onstar when I purchased them. Early last summer GM ran a campaign that updated the analog Onstar unit. The upgrade consisted of the Digital Onstar unit and that was it.

The entire upgrade is replacing the Onstar control unit, still have the same roof antenna, same rearview mirror with onstar button, same wire harness. Nothing needs to be changed except for the main Onstar unit itself.

This is a complete line of crap from Acura and Onstar about the complicated nature of analog to digital, its about as complicated as switching from an analog telphone to a digital one. All you need is to replace the unit, you dont upgrade the old unit with the new technology.

Onstar losses out on $200 a year from me and Acura gets some negative points for not supporting this properly.

Dennis
Old 11-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Registered Charity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DStetter
This is a complete crock of s#it. I have a 03 TL and an 03 Chevy Avalanche. Both had analog Onstar when I purchased them. Early last summer GM ran a campaign that updated the analog Onstar unit. The upgrade consisted of the Digital Onstar unit and that was it.

The entire upgrade is replacing the Onstar control unit, still have the same roof antenna, same rearview mirror with onstar button, same wire harness. Nothing needs to be changed except for the main Onstar unit itself.

This is a complete line of crap from Acura and Onstar about the complicated nature of analog to digital, its about as complicated as switching from an analog telphone to a digital one. All you need is to replace the unit, you dont upgrade the old unit with the new technology.

Onstar losses out on $200 a year from me and Acura gets some negative points for not supporting this properly.

Dennis
Given the fact that our 2G Acuras are going to last a LOOOONG time, it seems bizarre to me that if they can upgrade them, they wouldn't. Someone in finance must have figured out that it wouldn't be worth it?

You wonder what would happen if enough people got together --
Old 11-21-2006, 03:59 AM
3rd Gear

I agree on getting people together to complain but honestly, I don't see the Onstar as being that successful with Acura due to the limited models it's offered in and 2 from another post here it appears many people used the free year worth fo service than cancelledit alltogether.

I actually like having the service and the few times I need it I am glad that they were there (especially locking keys in the car with the baby in the car seat ).

At this point we are just about to look for a bigger car anyways for a second child and this is just a small point added to my reason to trade in the TL over the Avalanche.

Dennis