Okay guys springs/shocks/coilovers...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay guys springs/shocks/coilovers...advice?

Yeah ok so I scrapped some cash together and now I want to replace the sways and springs (already did the intake, exhaust, spark plugs, brake lines, and bulbs) SOOOOOOO....since I know absolutely CRAP on this topic someone want to comment? I don't want to drop my ride very much...or at least if I get coilovers I can choose. The roads out here are crap and drop + body kit means instant death. So suggestions and prices? I don't want a deathly harsh ride either...or of course with coilovers I want to be able to choose. So you guys tell me...I will end up putting 18's on...but for now the rims are stock. And of course rubber band tires

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 02:53 AM
Banned

Oh yeah...and also as a second thing...suggest what I should spend my cash on...springs/shocks/coilovers....sways...what else? Nothing TOO costly yet like rims or headers. But anything else I heard sways kill the ride comfort...

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 02:58 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Austin519
I heard sways kill the ride comfort...
And springs dont? The springs will kill the ride alot more than sways would. As a matter a fact...over inflating the tires would killl it more than sways would.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:24 AM
Banned

edgalang:
..........DUH..........

I know I'm just doing this on a piece by piece basis. Unx979 is explaining all this stuff to me and confusing me even more. Do I go get coilovers? Or do I stay with springs and shocks? And other Q's for that matter...

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 03:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

actually i think sways do the least damge to ride quality compared to springs and tires. and it helps a lot of handling cmpared to springs too. i think it's a must. a lot of people here goes with comptech, including me, and it's really good (much better than stock). if you want better you can go with the eibach (just like edaglang) and it's even better.

for springs, if you have really crappy roads there, coilovers could be good. I have no idea which one is good though. i have the comptech springs (2 inches) and it's been nice, except that my car is low now.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:32 AM
Banned

edgalang:
Sorry about the snappiness dude I realize now I sounded a bit *****y! It's just because unx979 is explaining stuff to me...and then going back on it and for all I know he could be BSing and snickering and I'm eating it up. Hell, it's like feeding a blind kid good doggie biscuits and saying they're a new type of cookie...

rominl:
Hmm...why is eibach a better sway? What other models? What about strut bars? Man I know crap about this

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by rominl
if you want better you can go with the eibach (just like edaglang) and it's even better.
Just a small correction....I have the Neuspeed competition sways. The Eibachs weren't out yet when I was choosing. Either way, the Neuspeeds are the thickest and heaviest bars around. Just a reminder...ANY suspension mod will help kill the ride...it's all a matter of how much are you willing to go. I for one wont go the spring route since after driving back from Tahoe I was already sh*tt*ng bricks driving though steep ass driveways since I have a front lip. I seriously think you guys with comptechs will scrape the roads where I've been, kit or no kit. If you wanna know what my preference of order where money DOES matter, here it is.

#1 Sways
#2 Strut bars...as many as you can put on (currently 1 unless you dont plan on getting the comptech headers then you can go for 2)
#3a Tires
#3b If you can afford it...tires+rims
#4 shocks.
#5 springs.

Well to be honest if it was the HR OE...then I may just swap #4 and #5 around.

P.s.
And before anyone else responds with no no no you have it all wrong...remember...this is MY order or preference. But if you look at Eibachs site, they claim that stage 1 is springs, stage 2 is shocks, and stage 3 is sways, whereas mine is the complete opposite.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:47 AM
Banned

edgalang:
"#1 Sways
#2 Strut bars...as many as you can put on (currently 1 unless you dont plan on getting the comptech headers then you can go for 2)
#3a Tires
#3b If you can afford it...tires+rims
#4 shocks.
#5 springs. "

Herm...okay let's assume I want some very expensive rims...let's further assume that I won't be getting them for awhile. So....ok...things I can do.

1) NOS
2) Tranny upgrade
3) Sways
4) Strut bar
5) springs/shocks/coilovers
6) AEM computer controlled kit or Unichip
7) Headers
....prolly a lot more

Now I have like 2 g's. A cheap mod...unless I go coilovers is the springs/shocks/coilovers. My thing is...I'm going to have about 200 lbs of stereo in the back for some of the time...some of the time not. So I think I will want to adjust. And I don't want to drop much. So is coilovers the correct route? And is it a worse ride than springs? And last but not least...I have to decide between coilovers if I get coilovers...teins...apexi...whatever else is out there...and I have no clue whatsoever.....soooo...suggestions? What type of strut bar? What type of sway bar? For a small drop what type of springs? Should I get shocks? Or should I get coilovers and if so what type?

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 03:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

oh damn it's late, what was i thinking. sorry edaglang, i DID meant to say neuspeed...... i still remember the big discussion you started about which sways you should go for.

i would also put the sways in the first place. then IF your normal ride conditions can take it, get the springs too. i heard that strut bars are NOT that noticeable to performance unless you have bigger wheels. i have yet to confirm on that but i would probably consider rims + tires since i have the sways already. shocks will hurt the ride quality quite a bit (again this is what i heard, i cant' say anything for sure about things i haven't put in my car).

edaglang, i know what you are saying. with my comptech springs and the oem kits, i already have to go relatively careful around here, especially when i enter my parking, or when i go to malls and so. just tonight when i was going into a mall i saw the curb and i started praying alreayd. although i didn't scrap my lip but i am pretty sure it was less than an inch space.

actually i just came back from lake tahoe too edaglang, i though the roads all the way between here and there are pretty nice? which part of the trip did you encounter horrible ride? i didn't drive coz' 1) i couldn't put chains on my car and 2) my car is lowered and i was scared aboubt snow, but when i was in my friend's car it was pretty ok.

but i am toally with ya about the roads in sf. even with my good old camry (it's high enough right?) i still managed to scrap it once or twice every now and then. the driveways, hills, etc... are simply too high for our cars. i am sure even with a totally stock TLS (without kits), if you don't drive carefully you will still scrap the car.

so the good/bad news is that from now on i can't drive my cars for some trips (for example to yosemitte...) and i can't go to sf as well..... man my car is soooo mobile
Old 01-24-2002, 03:55 AM
Banned

rominl:
See that's why I don't want a big drop . And dare I forget in upgrades...new cross drilled/slotted rotors (because I can't stop worth crap) and new brake pads...

AAARRGGHHH!!!

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 03:57 AM
Banned

Sway bar...strut bar...anti roll bar...all these bars....

Man...I think it's too late to be on now...I should prolly go to bed...whew.

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 03:58 AM

edgalang:
Herm...okay let's assume I want some very expensive rims...let's further assume that I won't be getting them for awhile
OK...to make it easier, lets further assume you will be getting these rims BEFORE getting Comptech Headers. But what would be nice to know is that how far is far? Would you be changing tires again before changing rims? Lets say the answer is yes. if thats the case....If I had your car...I'd go this route including the brands.

#1a Neuspeed competition sway bars. (very agressive)
#1b Eibach sways (agressive)
#1c Comptech sways (safe)

#2 Neuspeed upper strut tie bar
#3 Neuspeed lower strut tie bar

#4 235/45-17 Yokahama AVS db (best/quietest all seasons tires with the highest tread wear rating...theres a big debate on tire sizes so this can explode to a much larger thread...but like i said...we're going with what I want)

#5 H&R OE springs.

#6 not too familiar with shocks since they tend to wear out quick anyways. (I tend to look at the more permenent type of mod).

Just remember...when the time comes to install the headers, the lower strut tie bar goes bye bye since you can only have 1 or the other.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:09 AM
Banned

edgalang:
Okay...that helps on the sways...so Neuspeed is out for me...either Eibach or Comptech...if your rating was in terms of harshness. Hmm. Okay so I have to make a decision there. Of course...a neuspeed sway would look nice with a neuspeed upper strut bar...no lower for me because yes I will be getting headers. Again, tires and rims I won't even think about now. Only getting new tires with new rims. As for the springs...H&R? Why not the Eibach Pro Kit? And who makes the strut tie aside from Neuspeed. It'd be nice not to have names all over the place...Comptech Exhaust, some type of headers, AEM CAI, neuspeed strut, eibach sway, tein coilovers...etc.

Also are you against coilovers? If so why?

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 04:10 AM

1) NOS
2) Tranny upgrade
3) Sways
4) Strut bar
5) springs/shocks/coilovers
6) AEM computer controlled kit or Unichip
7) Headers
Wait...not fair dude. I thought we were limited to suspention mods only and were looking for the best order of most bang for buck upgrades. If that's not the case, then your order is totally whack since NOS would be last on my list. Go go mods are nice and all, but for every second you drive the car, you will always notice your suspention. I cant hear my CAI all the time, but ever turn I know my sways are there. Oh, and dont rule out Neuspeed just yet...call me weird, but if there was any I would personally rule out, it would be the Comptechs.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:44 AM
Banned

edgalang:
Nah I didn't mean that as an order, just a listing. NOS isn't last on my list...but it's down there. Hmm...okay SO again...let's see. We have comptech, neuspeed, eibach sways. Now you'd rule out comptech why? I'm conservative when it comes to ride harshness and drop...I like classy...so I don't want some ghetto rice raked look...nor do I want to worry about scraping my car everywhere I go. Similarly...I don't want my new TLS to feel like my old Explorer...or a tank for that matter. That's why I was thinking coilovers...so I can adjust the height...and of course coilovers with shocks so I can adjust the rebound and compression. I do want a more solid ride...or else I wouldn't be considering sways, springs/shocks/coilovers, upper/lower strut etc. But I don't want to make it really uncomfortable, and of course there are potholes galore out here in Austin, TX. I mean lots. My street is one big pothole. So I want to go middle road...not an unnoticeable difference but not a 24/7 street racer. And I want to try to have at least SOME things the same (not a different brand for everything). That's why I was thinking comptech sways, or eibach kit and sways...or something like that. How would you edgalang, in terms or rideQ, rate the different brands of sways, of springs, of shocks, and of coilovers. And what brands of struts are there and which would you recommend of that. As for what all I want to do outside suspension...I think I know what I want so that's not a big deal...

Austin519
Old 01-24-2002, 05:13 AM

I cant really comment on shocks since I too pretty much have no clue on whats good or not, but as for springs I mostly base judgement on them by ride height.

Coilovers for me arent an option since the way I see it, you cant really take advantage of them unless you plan on taking them down below 2 inches which to me is already too low anyways (dont forget you also have to have a camber kit if you plan of driving it that low for a long time).

Now sways are a much clearer subject for me. When I arranged them in order, I was talking about overall bar stiffness. Neuspeeds will be the stiffest bars of the bunch (thickest and heaviest), whereas Comptech will be the softest just because it also is the smallest (notice I never even mentioned Suspention Techniques).
I find that most people on the board choose Comptech since that seems like thats the only brand they trust, but I seriously doubt anyone really takes the time and looks at each bar individually and rate them independantly regardless of brand name or affiliation.

I too was once like yourself and was anal about keeping only similar brands in the car...but look at it this way, having Comptech sways have nothing to do with having some other type of exhaust, so you cant exactly use the excuse of "Comptech springs are made to go with Comptech sways." like most people used on me waaay back when I was debating the subject. It's not like a home theater system where you worry about remote compatibilities with each part. The way I see it is, I'd rather have the best part for each area regardless what brand or make it is. Why limit yourself to Brand A everything, where you could have better overall performance with Brand A + Brand B.

I've participated in pages and pages of sway bar debate and I still stand with my original descision. If you want the absolute best bang for buck mod for each area, then different names will be inevitable since it's extremely rare for one company to produce the best parts in all of the categories. May just be me, but I'm totally pro consumenr and against monopolies.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro

Austin519...

Here's my .02. I just installed CompTech Springs, kept the original sways and the ride is still very nice. There is no addidtional harshness at least not that my a$$ can measure!! And the car doesnt even have body roll under cornering. Its great! Love it. I dont plan on upgrading the sways either, dont really see the need to. I would say just go with springs. If you have the money go with Coilovers, but just keep in mind that you wont be out there adjusting the ride height all the time cuz its still a pain to do, so why not get springs in the first place? Just a thought. Oh yeah, here is what the car looks like on the COmpTechs:

Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I would do this in order:

1. Springs
2. Tires
3. Sway bars
4. Shocks
5. Strut bar

I've had my springs for almost 3 years from Comptech, and still have the original shocks. The ride isn't even that harsh, plus, I've got 18s. Just remember, lowering the car's center of gravity will help you the most in handling. It will also prevent brake dive and acceleration squat. Plus, it will make your car look more sportier. Sway bars are nice, and the only time you can tell your ride is stiffer from the sways is when one wheel hits a pothole or going over a bump. Of course, if you have some mad cash that you want to spend, go get Tein coilovers for about $900-$950. It is both ride and height adjustable.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:48 AM
Banned

edgalang, nameeri, acuraTL:
Thanks for the help guys...eibach sway sounds good for me...I'm gonna look at prices now. In terms of quality edgalang...anything I should be worried about?

nameeri you've assuaged my fears on springs I hope that all the "rock your ass" bumpiness is just hype. Still not sure if I should get coilovers or just springs....those teins hmm...not bad. I guess maybe I should go get some used springs...that drop my ride a little...ride on those for awhile. If I like that then I should sell them later and get coilovers, otherwise I'm not out alot. By the way, nice ride

Acuratl, I agree with your listing at least in the sense that that is what I am going to do...springs, sway, upper strut. The reason against shocks is well...I can always get a full coilover kit later and used springs now...or even new springs...and it won't cost much...and it'll let me see how I like a lowered and stiffer ride...plus it's conservative and I just got a conservative streak in me today. The reason against new tires is that I want 18's on my ride...and I don't want to buy new tires until I get 18's. And I don't want to get 18's until I have enough money to get a GOOD set of spun forged light weight rims...which look good but most importantly are light. I seriously like a 5 spoke design, or a 3 spoke (think mustang) design that's brushed not chrome. So that's against the shocks and tires...aside from that I completely agree.

Thank you, all three of you, and rominl you too...for your input. Now I just have to go get my eibach sway, my springs, and my strut. Tell me what you guys think about those...all I see available from Tim is the H&R OE Springs for the drop I want...somewhere around 1" (keep in mind I'm putting in a lot of equipment...so that's another couple hundred pounds in the car, and I'm getting 18's, I want no rubbing, and I may get underbody kit...so not a lot of drop). I've heard the H&R OE suck, and not just that but one brand??? Just one? Suggestions on a good spring that drops .75-1.25"? Does the same thing go for the upper strut tie bar as it does for the sway bar edgalang? Aka the thicker the worse the ride? Or since it's a nose-tail bar you won't notice it in terms of ride? All I see for strut is the neuspeed...any other choices?

Lastly...the antiroll bar from eibach...is the same as sway bar yes? That's what I want?

Austin519
Old 01-25-2002, 01:19 AM

Does the same thing go for the upper strut tie bar as it does for the sway bar edgalang? Aka the thicker the worse the ride? Or since it's a nose-tail bar you won't notice it in terms of ride? All I see for strut is the neuspeed...any other choices?

Lastly...the antiroll bar from eibach...is the same as sway bar yes? That's what I want?
Let me help you out about the logic behind the parts you're getting.

Strut bar.
The thicker the better. Well....It's actually more important if its stiffer, but thickness usually plays a role behind making it stiff. If you can find a material that can be equally as sturdy but 10 times lighter...then by all means go for that. But untill you do, then you want the thickest and heaviest bar around. I personally try to stay away from hinged bars like DC sport or the weapon R bars since that adds 2 weak points to the bar, vs the Neuspeeds single piece bar thats solid all across. That's why I went for the Neuspeed bar.

Sway bar.
Same concept as above, but it seems like you are over emphasing the "rough ride" comment a lot. That's why I mentioned about over inflating your tires would cause a rougher ride than adding the sways comment. If you are too conserned about the ride stiffness...then by all means dont get springs at all. Get the most agressive bars, since that setup still wont be comparable to one who would get the most conservative springs (HR OE) and decide not to get sways, but would still outperform it. Find out more about the Eibach kit since I'm pretty sure the rears are solid like the rest of the bunch, but the fronts are still unverified. As for Neuspeed, thats the only one I know that is completely solid front and back.

BTW anti-roll bar is the official name of the piece....sways are more of a slang way of saying them. And no, you want the Neuspeeds...and the only reason why you shouldnt is because of the cost factor or unavailability (unless you plan to take your car offroad...then in that case, you want the softest sways or none at all). Only then would I go down for my second choice and get Eibach.

Dont worry about the strut bars and sways...the choice is clear. If I were you, I'd focus more about wether or not I'd want springs, and if I do, then what height and ponder on that.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:19 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Input from a coilover owner...

Let me add my .2 cents in. I have the Apexi N1 WS Coilovers on my 99 TL. To be honest, before I put them on, I thought the ride was going to be really harsh. But to my pleasant surprise the ride quality was pretty close to stock, even with my 3" drop plus the oem bodykit. Of course you will feel every bump now (same with springs) but the handling is improved 100%. Also since I live in NJ, I needed the adjustablity for the winter season. Just 3 weeks ago, I had to raise my TL back up because it started to snow. Raising and lowering the car is very easy. It comes with its' own wrench to turn the screw (for lack of a better word for it) inside. I can even do it with the tires on but it will be much faster if you take the tires off. I don't know about the other coilovers so I can't comment on them.

So it really depends on what you want. Do you live in an area that you need to adjust the height of your car? If not, stick with the springs because they are much cheaper than the coilovers.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:08 AM
Banned

edgalang:
Congrats man...you have singlehandedly decided my strut and my sways for me Neuspeed strut and sways. Done deal...no more thinking on that. And much appreciation too.

Blackshadow:
Hmm...well tell me what you think. You'e always got good advice too . So, I was thinking ok...I will get the Neuspeed strut and sways. Now, since I don't know if the ride will even be harsh...let me get some springs...not too much...just $200 or so...drop my ride about 1". See how that looks...see how it rides on the roads out here...how rough it is etc. If I like it next year I'll grab the coilovers. The reason I would want the coilovers is to adjust the ride height because of two things. Racing/showing I want to drop it...for obvious reasons. However the roads out here are SO poor that with a low ride I would kill my underbody kit...so I would want it stock height so that I don't scrape and so it's not so bumpy. On top of wanting to adjust for that, I also have final numbers on my stereo stuff. Speakers and amps total weigh in at 210 lbs. With added computer, batteries, caps, addition mystery components etc...you're looking at about 320 lbs I'm going to be putting in for showing and sound-offs, and taking out for racing. That 320 lbs sounds like it'd be a bit of a drop in itself. So I would want to adjust for when I had everything in and when I did not. That's my 2 reasons for coilovers...that and once a year I go off road down to my farm house. Are they good reasons? Or should I just get a good set of springs that drop 1" and hold on to those for a year, save my cash, and see what happens next year? You tell me. And of course, give me a good suggestion for .75-1.25 drop springs...

Austin519
Old 01-25-2002, 02:35 AM

No problem, just dont take my word on it. Just like any other advisor, I'd much prefer for you to think about it yourself and later realise that you made a wise decision. If you were near me, I wouldnt even be typing to you and just give you a test drive since that speaks for itself more than anything.

Now that we got 2 parts done...what are you waiting for? Go ahead and buy and install the 2 since not all of them are going to come in all at once. You might as well have a taste of what each part is like on its own rather than doing them all in one single install and having no clue on what part does what. Ride around in the sways for a bit on the stocks. Once you get used to it, you'll realize that the springs would be more of a aesthetic mod more than anything.

Besides...now it's your turn. Since you are pretty much set on buying springs/coilovers anyways, I want you to try and convince me on WHY I should get the springs. But I usually wont listen unless I hear from someone who's been there and done that and have done sways first before the springs. Usually its the other way around, and it's not untill they install the sways do they realize what they were missing.

After doing so, my question to you Austin is this. Am I missing out on anything other than the drop by not getting springs? (degreasing the submarine effect scores little points for me since I mostly do highway driving anyways, and if you do experience this alot, then you have other things to worry about like rotor warpage or tranny trouble) If so, then I'd rather keep my underbody kit safe. It has already been through enough (for me a little scrape is more than enough) and coilovers for me is not an option.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Racer

Thumbs up Springs

I have a types S and wanted to spend the minimum $ for now, and get the most results. I first put on the HnR OEs that say the drop will be .75 and .75. I didn't care for the drop cause it was so minimal. I then put on the HnRs Sports and there the tits! The ride is still great! Had a 4 wheel alignment and the camber if fine. Paid $179 for the shocks and $120 for the install at an Import shop. Good luck!This pic has the Sport Springs and 19" Wheels
Old 01-26-2002, 02:48 AM
Banned

billyvader:
Appreciate the pic and the advice But beware my car will have underbody and 300 lbs of equipment! Not only that...but with 19's your car should be another 1" or so off the ground vs. my 18's (from the tire edge) so a drop for you of 1.75=.75 for me I believe. Still though, your ride looks good

edgalang:
Yeah yeah I know I know And I definitely will put them on one at a time...except things I cannot install myself...aka springs or whatever. I can put sways and struts on myself...so yes I will definitely put on one at a time...and test out the ride. I should do side to sides for the sways and quickstarts and stop for the struts yes? As for the springs...realize that in a heavy object like ours...having the center of gravity lower to the ground be it .5" or 3.5" will definitely increase handling, that's just a physics certainty. Can I notice a 1" drop's improvement in handling vs. worse of a ride? I don't know...but I will tell you Believe me...if you got me to buy these (and you did) then I have to get you to buy something too...so we can both be poor together! However, I don't know what springs to buy but yes, I am buying the neuspeed struts and sways this weekend...I am going to shop for prices but I will probably buy from Tim...although I do want to save every penny...

Thanks again guys...but I NEED BRANDS TO BUY FOR A .75"-1.25" DROP!!! And you guys haven't told me anything about that!!!

Austin519
Old 01-26-2002, 04:23 AM

I can put sways and struts on myself...so yes I will definitely put on one at a time...and test out the ride. I should do side to sides for the sways and quickstarts and stop for the struts yes?
Just to clarify things. I'm talking about the Neuspeed strut BAR. It's only auxilary compared to the springs and sways and doesnt really do jack other than stiffen up the front under heavy loads. Starts and stops wont do a thing to test the bar out. All it would do is prevent the front from any excessive twisting that it may encounter on a sharp turn...but remember, stock tires would usually give before any twisting really happens, that's why everyone keeps saying to have stickies on first. Anyways, install and forget about it. Only untill later would you really have the need for it...but since its so cheap and easy...might as well add it to the list of mods.
Old 01-26-2002, 04:43 AM
Banned

edgalang:
You've successfully confused me again. Okay so you say that the neuspeed antiroll (sway) is a HUGE difference...and that it's a must. I thought you said the same about the upper strut tie bar...is that not true for some reason now? Don't do this to me now edgalang!! Oh and by the way...I have to decide on something...for Tim's sake I have labeled another site Site X per Tim's preferences.

Front Sway:
Tim - $161.96
X - $134.00

Rear Sway:
Tim - $ 161.96
X - $123.00

Front Upper Strut Blk:
Tim - $113.96
X - $89.00

Front Upper Strut Polished:
Tim - $132.96
X - $97.00

Okay so that already makes me feel better...in that I'm saving cash (though I'm actually spending it!). If I get the front and rear sways and the front upper strut blk...I'll end up paying $346 + s/h...not bad at all! However here is where the Q's come into play...first, I do want the upper strut tie bar right edgalang? You're not going to go back on that right? Second...I can get it in black, or polished. I don't really know which one to get. I have a silver AEM cai in there now...which I'm gonna get chromed I'm sure one day...and probably try to get everything else in the engine bay chromed, or carbon fibered. So should I go with the chrome, which will stand out, but not match the sways, or should I go black, which will match the sways but I may have to chrome later? Suggestions on that one? And have you guys seen better prices than site X for this stuff?

Austin519
Old 01-26-2002, 05:23 AM

I thought you said the same about the upper strut tie bar...is that not true for some reason now?
Its not a huge must but to make things easier..........get it and get it now! lol I was just correcting you earlier to not call it Neuspeed struts....because struts are completely different and that this is the strut BAR. As for chrome or black.........well I went black because I'm always a form following function type of guy...but if i had to do it all over again I'd get chrome since it would match the headers and polished injen nicely. I'd also get red pulleys.......but thats a completely different subject. (because the injen is polished with red trimmings including the hoses...and my engine/battery is blue)
Old 01-26-2002, 06:34 AM
Banned

edgalang:
Hmm, ok so what's a neuspeed strut? And what about the chrome upper strut bar not matching the sways...doesn't that look retarded?

Austin519
Old 01-26-2002, 07:38 AM

A strut is part of the suspension...that is underneath the sheet metal (a part that you cant really see) when you lift up the hood. As for the sways, they are burried deep underneath the car, so unless you were a contorsionist, you wouldnt even know they are there.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:19 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blackshadow:
Hmm...well tell me what you think. You'e always got good advice too . So, I was thinking ok...I will get the Neuspeed strut and sways. Now, since I don't know if the ride will even be harsh...let me get some springs...not too much...just $200 or so...drop my ride about 1". See how that looks...see how it rides on the roads out here...how rough it is etc. If I like it next year I'll grab the coilovers. The reason I would want the coilovers is to adjust the ride height because of two things. Racing/showing I want to drop it...for obvious reasons. However the roads out here are SO poor that with a low ride I would kill my underbody kit...so I would want it stock height so that I don't scrape and so it's not so bumpy. On top of wanting to adjust for that, I also have final numbers on my stereo stuff. Speakers and amps total weigh in at 210 lbs. With added computer, batteries, caps, addition mystery components etc...you're looking at about 320 lbs I'm going to be putting in for showing and sound-offs, and taking out for racing. That 320 lbs sounds like it'd be a bit of a drop in itself. So I would want to adjust for when I had everything in and when I did not. That's my 2 reasons for coilovers...that and once a year I go off road down to my farm house. Are they good reasons? Or should I just get a good set of springs that drop 1" and hold on to those for a year, save my cash, and see what happens next year? You tell me. And of course, give me a good suggestion for .75-1.25 drop springs...

Austin519
Austin:
From what you've said, IMO the best thing for you is the springs.
Reason is that you mentioned that the road is pretty bad, you will have an additional 320 lbs of stuff, bodykit.

But if you are going to enter your car for a show then definitely get the coilovers so you can slam it.

BTW, any drop from stock height will aid in handling. But of course the lower you drop it the faster you can take a turn. I have a 3" drop on my car and I can take corners pretty aggressively. But I know I couldn't do that with just a 1" drop. But any drop is better than stock.

So here is what I suggest. Just get a cheap pair of springs for now and test it out. If you find that you need the adjustability, then get the coilovers later.

Sorry but I am not that familiar with springs and which ones are better than the other. But a lot of guys on here have comptech springs so the majority of them can't be wrong. But it's up to you. Keep asking around to see what springs are best for you.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2002, 03:15 AM
Banned

edgalang and BlackShadow:
MUCH MUCH appreciation guys. Thanks a lot for your help. I have decided to get a cheap pair of springs...or well not cheap but not some fancy pair. I just need to find some that drop maybe 1.25" or so. I just got to see Systek's dropped 1.75" with H&R sports...and I think with 18's and a 1.25" drop it should be just about right...and I shouldn't have to worry about scraping or anything. You guys have helped a lot, thanks!

Austin519