Oil leak? My ass!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak? My ass!

(vent mode on)

I've been taking my TL to a shop down the street for oil changes lately. The last time, they told me "the mechanic found an oil leak, better have that checked out." After a couple days, I noticed a PUDDLE (not a stain, a freaking puddle) of oil where my car was sitting in the garage. I looked under the car, and could see oil DRIPPING from the plug. I reached up, and sure enough, they had left the plug a little loose. I can only assume, ON PURPOSE.

I hate mechanics so much. Just assumed I was some know-nothing punk who he could milk for $$$. His little game could have caused thousands of dollars in damage to my car.

That does it; I'm doing ALL maintenance on my car MYSELF from here on out.. including oil changes. These thieves can't be trusted.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the DIY crew.... most routine maintenance is easy to do, some stuff will require you to take it to a dealer or mechanic, but try to find a reputable company and ask around..... some mechanics just see a nice car and they assume your a dumbass and therefore can milk you for your cash....
Old 08-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mentl
(vent mode on)

I've been taking my TL to a shop down the street for oil changes lately. The last time, they told me "the mechanic found an oil leak, better have that checked out." After a couple days, I noticed a PUDDLE (not a stain, a freaking puddle) of oil where my car was sitting in the garage. I looked under the car, and could see oil DRIPPING from the plug. I reached up, and sure enough, they had left the plug a little loose. I can only assume, ON PURPOSE.

I hate mechanics so much. Just assumed I was some know-nothing punk who he could milk for $$$. His little game could have caused thousands of dollars in damage to my car.

That does it; I'm doing ALL maintenance on my car MYSELF from here on out.. including oil changes. These thieves can't be trusted.
My sentiment exactly......Start :buff: , then go back and him until he looks like this ---> :busted: . After your done whipping his ass, . Then go to the bar and :blaze: and until you . When you regain your senses find a pretty blonde to do this to ----> :bananahump: . And thats it! You will feel alot better.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Instructor

If you want it done right the first time, then you've got to do it yourself...
It's better to spend money learning how to do something than it is to pay someone else to do it for you.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Racer

Hehe elementz

I basically do everything to my car myself, EXCEPT for the oil changes, because I figured its so much of a hassle and its a simple enough job that I can let the monkeys do it.

Never again!

What do you guys do with your old oil? Does your garbage company pick it up?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:29 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Nope, the oil needs to be properly recycled. I think it's actually illegal to dump it either in the garbage or down the drain. Just take it to autozone or pepboys and they have a recycling tank in the back for free!
Old 08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

In NY, gasstations will take used oil also.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Racer

Ahhh cool. Thanks!

(I'm originally from Oregon; they pick it up at your curbside. Now I'm in Illinois; I don't think they do)
Old 08-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Baaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahahhaahahhahahahah
Old 08-05-2004, 04:37 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MENTL...unless you want to get on the floor, get oil all over your hands when you take that plug off and lets it drain for 1hour before you can close the plug again, change the oil filter AND pour the new oil...i'd suggest you just visit different people to do this in 10minutes...not and hour.

Oh, you know that it will cost you $10less of so to do it yourself...it comes out to around $18 for the 4qts of oil and the filter...instead of paying $25for a 10minute oil change.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

can not trust anyone now-a-days...

Hey mentl, that is why this forum is here, any questions you need answered we can help... i did all my own work since day one.. the car has been to dealer 1 time for a recall and I stood there the whole time and watched.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by etxxz
MENTL...unless you want to get on the floor, get oil all over your hands when you take that plug off and lets it drain for 1hour before you can close the plug again, change the oil filter AND pour the new oil...i'd suggest you just visit different people to do this in 10minutes...not and hour.
Yeah I could find someone else, but I'm fed up with car mechanics!

A couple years back, I went into a Jiffy-Lube type place. They talked me into some additive crap to put in the oil... they put it in, and my car wouldn't even start! I said 'get that crap outta my engine RIGHT NOW' and they did... everything went back to normal but I learned my lesson.. don't let the monkeys talk you into anything

Originally Posted by etxxz
Oh, you know that it will cost you $10less of so to do it yourself...it comes out to around $18 for the 4qts of oil and the filter...instead of paying $25for a 10minute oil change.
I promised myself a long time ago that I would start doing it myself AND use the savings to justify using Mobile-1.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing your talking synthetic oil...yeah, any place will charge in the $50s for this kinda change when its the same process just a more expensive oil!!

if this' the case you'll be saving around $20 per oil change...also loosing $10total if you compare to using regular oil. I respect you having the balls and the determination for this. I'm 17, athletic, did my i/h but i'm too lazy to change my own oil!!!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:38 PM
All the way to redline

Originally Posted by Elementz
My sentiment exactly......Start :buff: , then go back and him until he looks like this ---> :busted: . After your done whipping his ass, . Then go to the bar and :blaze: and until you . When you regain your senses find a pretty blonde to do this to ----> :bananahump: . And thats it! You will feel alot better.
hmm can you find a blonde before and after to make twice as good?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Future JDM Whore

Originally Posted by Elementz

lmao dats a good one elementz wow good use of smilies lollllllllllllllll
Old 09-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Instructor

hope he didnt strip the threads on your oil pan... that would suck
Old 09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
first month that i had my TLS was in january so i went to valvoline to let them change my oil since it was so cold out. they too left my plug loose and i went on to find little oil streaks in front of my house for about a week until i realized what had happened. they also put my filter on so tight i had to mangle it to get it off. i do not trust any of those guys for anything.

SSTS
Old 09-13-2004, 05:47 PM
10th Gear

"If you want it done right the first time, then you've got to do it yourself...
It's better to spend money learning how to do something than it is to pay someone else to do it for you."
totally agree with this but the rest of you sound like a bunch of tools talking about mechanics as monkeys. i've been a mechanic for 8 years and have never sold anything that didnt need to be done or messed with anyones car with malice, and still make a very good living. if if the rest of you think you could rebuild or replace an engine in the crappy warranty time (usually 5 or six hours) that it pays i would love to see all you trash talking keyboard warriors do it.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
first month that i had my TLS was in january so i went to valvoline to let them change my oil since it was so cold out. they too left my plug loose…
Not in the defense of anyone here, more so, just to point out the ignorance:

Acuras (Hondas?) use a crush washer that must be replaced on the plug on every oil change. Use of the incorrect washer, or worst, non at all will result in the symptoms all y'all are describin'.