No 350Z for me

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:57 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 350Z for me

Troph Nissan called me Saturday morning and told me someone had canceled a 350z just like I wanted if I would give them a credit card number they would hold it for me. I ran over assuming that the price would be sticker after 30 min of talking and filling out paper work they showed me the car, beautiful and equipped just the way I wanted Touring 6spd silverstone. Sticker was 34k and some change. When Jerry Johnson and I went back inside the manager came out and said I might not "want" to give over sticker, but he had a guy coming later that would give 42k for it. That is insane 8k over sticker for a car that will be made in large numbers this year and next. I can't believe a Nissan dealer would act this way. I guess a customer that has bought 7 New cars in the last 5 years would make a bad customer for Nissan. I'm sorry I wanted this Nissan and I am sorry I went to Trophy Nissan. Everyone I can think of will hear about my experiences with Trophy and Nissan. I hope no one would want a Z bad enough to pay 8k over sticker.

Now, I have a new definition of Z-ness.

Neil Stewart
Old 09-03-2002, 11:09 AM
Racer

I would report that toi Nissan of America

That is bs how a dealer would do that. The soul purpose of that car was to undercut other cars like the boxster S and Z3 and Audi TT. The Z was supposed to offer similar ot better performance for much less $$$. I personally think the car has one of the worst looking and cheapest looking interiors I've ever seen. Can't argue with the performance though. I would never even pay MSRP for car let alone more. I'd rather have an S2000 for $29k than a Z anyday. Besides, what's a z without 2 turbos?

Subaru was much cooler about when the WRX arrived here. There were amny dealers selling them only a few hundred $$$ over invoice. There is a mountain bike club that one can join for $20 and after 6 months of being a member, one can get a WRX at invoice.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Supply and Demand my friend. It's just business.

If you were selling something and someone offered you $8k more than the guy before him, would you turn him down?

Yeah I didn't think so....

Everyone I can think of will hear about my experiences with Trophy and Nissan.
Be careful what you write on the internet. Someone got sued for libel and slander for doing pretty much the same thing you did.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:58 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes they are doing that all over if someone cancels a preorder. Nissan tol d them they have to sell the preorders at MSRP, but if someone cancels it is no longer a Preorder it belongs to the dealer. One pix showed one with 10,000 dollar markup!
Old 09-03-2002, 12:15 PM
Pleasure Unit

Paying over MSRP for a new car is one of the dumbest things you can do, especially when everyone knows that cars depreciate the second you drive them off the showroom floor.

For example, the Z was $34k sticker - and you paid full price, so the second you pick it up, it is worth $32 (if not less); so you lost $2k already. Now imagine if you paid $42k for a car that was worth $32k, a loss of $10k without anything to show for it. Considering that no new car built today - especially mass produced cars - will ever be worth what you paid, dealer got you by the kuhones.

It really doesn't matter if you could use/lose the $, it has to do with gouging and stupidity (of the buyer). The dealers make enough money at MSRP - especially on a sports car (always a higher margin), so make a little more at an extra $8k per car and the owner can put it towards a new mansion or Benz S600.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-03-2002, 12:22 PM
8th Gear

If a factual retelling of a situation with a car dealer gets me sued, so be it. What I said in this fourm was intended to advise people how I viewed the way they treated me. I don't have any problem with profit for the dealer. I also understand supply and demand my friend, but in my opinion 8k mark up over ticker on a 34k cars is nuts. The way they went about telling me what they wanted for the car was as bad as the amount. If any one thinks this is a good deal on the Z buy one. I have an idea lets get rid of stickers all together and let the market set the price. Sound good? If you think what I described here is a good way to do business then by all means buy from Trophy.
I decided to purchase a 02’ Honda s2000 @ sticker and am glad I ended up going that direction. So, in a way I’m lucky things worked out the way they did.
Neil
Old 09-03-2002, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

the 350 is nice, but for 42k I would sure rather have a lot of other cars......
Old 09-03-2002, 01:33 PM
Racer

Good call Neil

and good luck witht eh S2k.....I'm with you on that choice and very jealous. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro

Re: No 350Z for me

Originally posted by FNSTypeS
I'm sorry I wanted this Nissan and I am sorry I went to Trophy Nissan. Everyone I can think of will hear about my experiences with Trophy and Nissan. I hope no one would want a Z bad enough to pay 8k over sticker.

Now, I have a new definition of Z-ness.

Neil Stewart
Another person screwed by Trophy Nissan

A buddy of mine got screwed over the same way when he was buying his 20th anniv. Maxima last year. All the paperwork was done and all he got to do was go in sign and drive. When he came in they basically told him he can't have it at the price they negotiated with and the salesman forgot to figure in some other fees . So he ended up buying at North Texas Nissan in Denton.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Heh, I've been out to Trophy a couple of times... and they can be asses...
Old 09-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Has been sold for a while

I wonder If someone was really going to offer $8,000 more or if that was just a stupid sales tactic? Either way
Old 09-03-2002, 02:48 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FNSTypeS
I decided to purchase a 02’ Honda s2000 @ sticker and am glad I ended up going that direction. So, in a way I’m lucky things worked out the way they did.
Neil
With the money saved you can now go get that CT SC!
Old 09-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Banned

Re: No 350Z for me

I would deal with Courtesy Nissan. I know alot of people up there that work there. They treat there customers much better.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Racer

i pretty much believe it's just a sale technique. however, as they don't have to worry about selling this car, i'm sure they can sell it $3000 over the sticker price. but for $8000 more, i doubt it.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

I saw a 350Z on the road in South Florida last Friday. It was on I-75 near Pembroke Pines.

The moron driver was doing ~65mph in a ~70 mph zone, in the left lane!

From far away I thought it was Audi TT. Then as I came closer I realized it was no TT.

350Z is quite wide and pretty large overall. Looks very nice.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
$42k= BMW 530 with AT, Premium package. I'd rather have that than the Z at that price. If you really want a Z, wait until they've been out a few months, you'll get a deal then.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Like here in S'port they are selling the H2 15K over sticker price.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

Man dat sucks!
But as someone that works at a dealership, I've seen my fair share of shady tactics (esp. from punk ass managers). As for the mark up, it doesn't surprise me. I remember about 2 years ago when people were paying 10k and even 40k over MSRP for the ugly and slow PT Cruiser when it first came out!!! One of our Chrysler stores even had two guys bid each other for the 1 model that was in the showroom and the guy that "won" paid 40k over MSRP! That salesman was all as you can imagine. So, based on the PT Cruiser phenomenon I wouldn't be surprised at some ridiculous stunts over the new Z.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Instructor

silverbullet,
maybe you get better treatment since you know the people who work there
I went with a friend who wanted to buy an Altima3.5SE about a month after it first came out, yet they still asked for FULL sticker, when it had over 550miles on that car (one of the few on the lot that was a manual). My inner thought keeps telling me its been demo'ed like crazy, yet the salesman insists it was a transfer car.. riight.. from 500miles away?
Then, the salesman even asked what i currently drove, and when I pointed to my typeS, he asked if it was auto or manual. (Shows what he knows.. but my story continues) I tell him its sportshift, and he immediately responds, "oh, we have something like that too," pointing to the AUTOMATIC altima sitting in front of him- "you can move the gate yourself like a manual"

I think I've said enough.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:01 AM
Banned

It's been about 2 years since I been up there. But at that time they were okay.

Originally posted by DuckBlue
silverbullet,
maybe you get better treatment since you know the people who work there
I went with a friend who wanted to buy an Altima3.5SE about a month after it first came out, yet they still asked for FULL sticker, when it had over 550miles on that car (one of the few on the lot that was a manual). My inner thought keeps telling me its been demo'ed like crazy, yet the salesman insists it was a transfer car.. riight.. from 500miles away?
Then, the salesman even asked what i currently drove, and when I pointed to my typeS, he asked if it was auto or manual. (Shows what he knows.. but my story continues) I tell him its sportshift, and he immediately responds, "oh, we have something like that too," pointing to the AUTOMATIC altima sitting in front of him- "you can move the gate yourself like a manual"

I think I've said enough.