Nice "power-slide" in my TL-S...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice "power-slide" in my TL-S...

Late one night last week, I was getting off the interstate at an exit I've been on 100 times. It's a sharp turn to the right that kind of sneaks up on you if your not ready. I guess I really wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going because the next thing I know I hear all 4 tires howling as I'm rounding the bend. All I really had time to do was think "Ooooooh sh!t!" But I didn't panic and just kept my line and the TLS didn't let me down. It was kind of scary though, especially since I wasn't ready for it. It's one thing if you're intentionally pushing the limits of your car, but when it happens by accident (or from my own stupidity) it's a different story. What an adrenaline rush.

This made me wonder, does the VSA come into play in a situation like this? I was more concerned about the road and small median wall fast approaching my drivers side than I was about the ! warning light on the dash.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:27 PM
Pro

Smile

Yeah, I almost "lost it" too a few days ago. I was taking a freeway transition road (makes a full circle) way too fast. The sign says 20MPH but I was going closer to 45 or more and the car just began to go out of control. I never saw the VSA light on but it was as if the car was keeping itself under control. I was damn sure that I was going to spin out, but I didn't. The new sway bars have helped me corner faster, but I won't do anything that stupid again!
Old 08-09-2001, 08:28 PM
Instructor

I bet it did, if you were sliding. You just didn't see it. I've activated mine (the light flickered on momentarily) as accelerated hard just as I entered a wide sweeping freeway onramp, doing only about 40mph at the time, and didn't feel that I needed any help at all. I could feel that the car was fighting the desire to slide sideways, but I never really felt any slide.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:18 PM
Racer

Get better tires and you will have no more scary slides ....

I have Nitto 555 235/40/18, but Toyo T1-S Proxies are even better, or a cheap Khumo Escata 712 will do just fine.
Old 08-10-2001, 03:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Beiruty
Get better tires and you will have no more scary slides ....

I have Nitto 555 235/40/18, but Toyo T1-S Proxies are even better, or a cheap Khumo Escata 712 will do just fine.
Well, even us Toyo Proxy maniac's will get the rear loose when pushed hard enough. The limit just gets higher and at the end of a 1/2 hour run, we have to get out of the car to catch our breath from all of the high-G grunting -- I'm not kidding!
Old 08-10-2001, 04:52 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by EricL

Well, even us Toyo Proxy maniac's will get the rear loose when pushed hard enough. The limit just gets higher and at the end of a 1/2 hour run, we have to get out of the car to catch our breath from all of the high-G grunting -- I'm not kidding!
same with my potenzas... i take turns two to three times faster than the posted speed, and i've only been able to make the tires screech once so far. the only thing u have to be careful about are other things like cracks and oil spills. the other day i was making a relatively hamless 90 degree turn and all of a sudden my rear end just gave out and started sliding. when i pulled out of the turn, i slowed down and saw the oil slick that i didnt notice when taking the turn. but then again, my friends S4 did a nice powerslide in a turn that i couldve taken without a problem. his stock tires suck as well, and he really wasnt ready, so he got a nice little shock from that.