Next mod Pulley or cold air intake? help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next mod Pulley or cold air intake? help

need help guys! Its been about a year since i've had a performance mod. to tell ya the truth I'm jonesin for another, i've become way too acustomed to my current power. I've gotten dizzy doing searches on pulleys & intakes & to tell you the truth, i'm not sure which way to go with my next performance mod. What way would you guys go & what will give me the most bang for the buck. If i was on my own i'd say screw it & get both mods, but being married ya gotta sneak these things in little by little if ya know what i mean? thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
haha I like your style...the whole sneaking thing! Im about to be married myself (this summer) so Im trying to get all I can now! haha, anyway. Honestly the pulley will probably give you more gains, but will cost you more once you pay for it and installation...looking at probably $300+ including installation give or take, so I guess similar to a new Icebox. If you had a TLP I would say get the AEM V2 intake - wow can I tell a difference in the power, almost how it was when I got the headers on. But looking at the dynos of the regular CAI on the Type S...doesnt really give that much power till very high in the RPM's, while the pulley will help out throughout the RPM range (and your wife wont even know you got it, cause you cant see it unless you know what you are looking for )

plus with your current intake setup, that is quite a bit less restrictive than stock - so that would mean an even less difference between that and a CAI.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
PULLEYS! increase throughout the whole powerband. plus it wont be as loud as the vacuuming sound that you get from a CAI. oyeah even under the engine, the pulleys will be sorta hidden and you cant really tell the difference if you get the Unorthodox Racing pulleys. the CAI, its just too obvious. a colorful pipe just running from the block and inside. imean thats if your wife does look under the engine and study the sound of your car! haha. but yeah i would just go with pulleys. i dont really like the sound of CAI's too much. my friend has the V2 on his, when he drives around it sounds like a big vacuum suction and it gets annoying IMO.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 PM
TLs on 19s

DO a pulley and tell me how u like it cause i have the K&N filter with resinator removed also . . and looking into a pulley within the next couple of weeks (just no unichip)
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Drifting

ok thats 3 for pulleys, think i'm leenin that way too.
so would i have to change out all the pulleys or would i only have to change out the main engine pulley. Is this something i could change out myself, i've done all my other mods by myself. i'd hate to stop now, besides that i'm a penny pinchin bastard. where can i get the best price on UR pulleys? any of you guys done the work yourself?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
well.. i just want a pulley. never got around to actually go buy one. i know that the AEM ones are like 140 everywhere. but its been tested to have no real hp increase. it does get you to higher RPM's faster, but no real boost. UR pulleys, the best price for just the cranks would be 170. thats the BEST price. i have the number for a guy who only sells the whole package, thats a 3 set pulley for the TL for 300 dollars. so shoot my a PM and i'll see if i can get in contact with him if youre interested
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aaronnn
well.. i just want a pulley. never got around to actually go buy one. i know that the AEM ones are like 140 everywhere. but its been tested to have no real hp increase. it does get you to higher RPM's faster, but no real boost. UR pulleys, the best price for just the cranks would be 170. thats the BEST price. i have the number for a guy who only sells the whole package, thats a 3 set pulley for the TL for 300 dollars. so shoot my a PM and i'll see if i can get in contact with him if youre interested
thanks aaron, but my question is, is it necessary to change out all 3 pulleys? do the other 2 do you any justice?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Show me da MONEY

Originally Posted by seattle dale
need help guys! Its been about a year since i've had a performance mod. to tell ya the truth I'm jonesin for another, i've become way too acustomed to my current power. I've gotten dizzy doing searches on pulleys & intakes & to tell you the truth, i'm not sure which way to go with my next performance mod. What way would you guys go & what will give me the most bang for the buck. If i was on my own i'd say screw it & get both mods, but being married ya gotta sneak these things in little by little if ya know what i mean? thanks in advance
I definetly know what you mean by sneaking things in by the misses (married life gotta love it), I just snuck my CAI and sway bars right under the misses nose. I would say go with the pulley, that's my next mod. Just as soon as I can sneak the order in.
Apparently pulleys will give me the low end power i am craving for.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by muffaburn
I definetly know what you mean by sneaking things in by the misses (married life gotta love it), I just snuck my CAI and sway bars right under the misses nose. I would say go with the pulley, that's my next mod. Just as soon as I can sneak the order in.
Apparently pulleys will give me the low end power i am craving for.
your wife must not know how to open the hood cause that cai would stick out like a sore dick! lol
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Show me da MONEY

Not neccessary to change all three. Just the crank , and you will also need a new belt. EXCELLERATE sells UR pulleys on the forum's look him up he is a ACURAZINE vendor
Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Show me da MONEY

your wife must not know how to open the hood cause that cai would stick out like a sore dick! lol
She does not touch my car and I don't touch hers. She's to pritzy to even know where the hood latch is anyway
Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Comptech Freak

intake all the way
Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Drifting

She does not touch my car and I don't touch hers. She's to pritzy to even know where the hood latch is anyway
doesn't she at least notice the sound difference, are our womenn that oblivious
Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Show me da MONEY

doesn't she at least notice the sound difference, are our womenn that oblivious
If I have the radio up she does not even notice it, sneaky...
Old 02-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by samkws
intake all the way
do you have pulleys?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Comptech Freak

do you have pulleys?
no not yet
i wanted to get the smoked headlights first
Old 02-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Talking

If I have the radio up she does not even notice it, sneaky...
damn you are a sneaky bastard!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:53 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have pulleys?
lolz go with the pulleys man

how much does installation run on it tho?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by yunginTL

this is the problem

install a pulley is more expensive than the Intake

Intake is better IMO, a nice sound as well~
Old 02-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by yunginTL

i have no idea, still haven't found out if it is something you can do yourself?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Show me da MONEY

I have done most of my mods myself with the exception of my headers and springs. Pulleys will probably also be done by a professional. By the way I am a penny pincher as well.
<-----what is in my pocket right now, damn modifications!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Comptech Freak

I have done most of my mods myself with the exception of my headers and springs. Pulleys will probably also be done by a professional. By the way I am a penny pincher as well.
<-----what is in my pocket right now, damn modifications!!!
do not mess up the pulley, pay someone to do it

it's a 2 hr job so intake is better, since you can install yourself
Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Drifting

[QUOTE=muffaburn]I have done most of my mods myself with the exception of my headers and springs. Pulleys will probably also be done by a professional. By the way I am a penny pincher as well.
<-----what is in my pocket right now, damn modifications!!![/QUOwhen your wife finds out about your mods, you'll be missing the other 2 things in your pocket as well!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Show me da MONEY

^^lol
Old 02-23-2005, 11:28 PM
All go, no show

Go with the pulley.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 AM
El Presidente

Pulleys Dale, from what my friends say it provides power across the band. i think you'll like that
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 AM
NorCal you Beezy!

ill get both... That what im doing right now. Pulleys and CAI! Man, im pretty sure you been married for a while now... Just say Its a hobby that makes you relieve stress... if she loves you she'll understand or maybe not.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Racer

I'm in the same boat.....w/ the sneaking around the wife w/ mods for my car. I've got the Icebox which isn't obvious like other CAI. I just ordered my crank pulley, and I'm REALLY thinking about getting headers too. Not sure if it's worth it......thoughts?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

id say go pullies, thats the next thing i wanna do
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by fiveoh-tl
I'm in the same boat.....w/ the sneaking around the wife w/ mods for my car. I've got the Icebox which isn't obvious like other CAI. I just ordered my crank pulley, and I'm REALLY thinking about getting headers too. Not sure if it's worth it......thoughts?
headers worth it??? YES, they are by far the best power adder. that is the first thing I did.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:42 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Get the UR crank pulley and the Comptech Icebox. Icebox looks and sounds almost stock but give the most gains of any CAI. The UR crank pulley is the only one you need as the other two are only for looks. You can install the Icebox yourself but you will needs a shop to install the crank pulley. My local speed shop charged me $70 to install the pulley on my TL-S. They also did the custom tune on my Unichip at the same time.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Drifting

intake
Old 02-24-2005, 03:23 PM
In Pursuit of Perfection

You can always buy the UR pulley for 2bills and install it yourself. it really isnt that hard, you just need the right tools, plus theres instructions that come with the pulley.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Drifting

sorry i disappeared last night, got called into work. 8 hours of DT. now whats she going to say about the pulley. Seriously its ok for me to mod, BUT if you buy that, i'm buying this. My mod ends up costin me double. Bitches!!! LOL. So you think EXCELLERATE will get me the best price on a UR pulley. I'll have to find a shop to install it.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
G35 Freak

I installed an UR pulley on my G35. Best mod so far. I don't know about the TL, but it was pretty easy in my car. Just take the belt off, remove the bolt in the center of the pulley, change pulley, replace belt with shorter belt. That was it. I guess with the motor sideways in the TL, it might make it a little tougher without much room there....
Old 02-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I installed an UR pulley on my G35. Best mod so far. I don't know about the TL, but it was pretty easy in my car. Just take the belt off, remove the bolt in the center of the pulley, change pulley, replace belt with shorter belt. That was it. I guess with the motor sideways in the TL, it might make it a little tougher without much room there....
took a gander of my crank pulley placement. looks like a major chore to get to the damn thing. ist thing 1st lets buy the thing. where can i get the best price. i'd tried looking up excellerate stated earlier in the thread, not having much luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dj5
Get the UR crank pulley and the Comptech Icebox. Icebox looks and sounds almost stock but give the most gains of any CAI. The UR crank pulley is the only one you need as the other two are only for looks. You can install the Icebox yourself but you will needs a shop to install the crank pulley. My local speed shop charged me $70 to install the pulley on my TL-S. They also did the custom tune on my Unichip at the same time.
hey dj5, do you know if i get my ur pulley if i'll have to have my unichip retuned? same question if i were to get an intake?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Boomer SOONER

took a gander of my crank pulley placement. looks like a major chore to get to the damn thing. ist thing 1st lets buy the thing. where can i get the best price. i'd tried looking up excellerate stated earlier in the thread, not having much luck.
Last time I PM'd excelerate...he still had a few at that $185 price, but with my stereo at over 1100 watts RMS...I would have to get the pulley that is not underdrive cause my alternator is doing all it can now, and that pulley is more expensive. And its not complicated to get too, just you have to have a freaking strong air gun to get the bolt off...like 150+ft/lbs, so thats why most people take it to a shop - they should be able to do it in about 1 hour.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro

put up a chart

Pulley= estimated cost + installation/ hp gains...advantages? disadvantages?
Intake= same shit

im also interested in what i should do for my first performance mod
Old 02-24-2005, 05:45 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
hey dj5, do you know if i get my ur pulley if i'll have to have my unichip retuned? same question if i were to get an intake?
Adding the crank pulley would have no impact on the Unichip. Since you are have the high flow K&N filter and no resonator then the air/fuel change would not be significant enough to retune the Unichip.

I added the Icebox and UR crank pulley at different time. IMHO they both seemed to give about the same gains. I would estimate 7-8 whp from each.

You will also need two new belts if you do the crank pulley.

Quick Reply: Next mod Pulley or cold air intake? help