Next car: TL Type S or SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Next car: TL Type S or SUV?

I can't decide on this one. I believe you should at least have one car in a household. My wife has a 99 Toyota 4Runner Limited, which is great, but just doesn't have that pick up and cornering (overall performance) that a car would have.

TL TYPE S would be very cool, but I am thinking about those half car / half SUV kind of vehicles, like the Toyota Highlander or Lexus RX300.

I think I would be most interested in the new next generation Lexus RX300 that should be coming out in 2002 or 2003. They made the similar Toyota Highlander somewhat sportier and up close it looks very good. But something about having a SUV is kind of cool, maybe I am thinking about the 4wheel drive and all too. Can't explain it. I just want it all!

Old 03-03-2001, 01:58 AM

Hi acuraguy!

I wanted to let you know that last year I was in the same place. My husband has a Chevy Tahoe, and I wanted a TL. Well, there is only ONE Acura dealership remotely near here. I ordered a TL and three weeks later, when it still wasn't in, I finally gave up on it. I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee instead. While the Jeep is great and we both love it, being a dual SUV family is no fun . We spend over $200 a month on GAS sometimes. The new Type-s TL is so cool, and will have better resale than any SUV. I totally regret not holding out for the TL, except that now we can get a Type S!

One thing I do hate about my Jeep is that somedays, you just want to drive happy! And I bet I wouldn't be very happy taking a tight curve at 40mph like I can with the Acura!

I say go for the Acura!!!

------------------
Samantha
Old 03-03-2001, 02:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Hi, I am looking to get a a new car or SUV in November of this year and was sold on the TL until Acura came out with the MDX. I think just about every aspect of this SUV is great. But then the TL-Type S is now coming out making my choice real harder. I think I will stick with getting the MDX since I'm a current SUV driver who likes the high seating position and since the MDX drives like a car anyways. Just wanted to share my opinion, good luck choosing!!
Old 03-03-2001, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies my fellow members. I guess what it comes down to is that I want it all :-) TL Type S & a Lexus RX300.

But you do bring up good points, can't be as agreesive in your SUV then in a car. The TL Type S is the High Performance version, where as a SUV is nice and rugged and larger.

Still can't decide.
Old 03-03-2001, 10:32 AM
Instructor

TL-S hands down for me. My wife has a 2000 Pathfinder which is definitely a nice vehicle albeit a bit under powered compared to the 2001's. It's a nice ride but in general, I don't think I will buy another SUV for a few reasons. The vast majority of people like my wife and I reallly do not use the "utility" aspect of the SUV. The 4wd comes in handy in snow, but we don't tow anything and never go off roading (which the Pathfinder is barely adequate to do so anyway). So what do we have? A large expensive vehicle that gets horrible gas mileage with not a lot of interior room, is underpowered, and is no fun at all driving fast although is does cruise nicely on the highway. I will opt for a sport wagon next such as the Audi, Volvo, or possibly Subaru once we have kids which will achieve all we need in a vehicle but without all of the drawbacks SUV's bring to the table. If you truly enjoy drivng, the TL-S will blow any SUV out of the water.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Yeah, you're right to a point. We test drove the Lexus RX300 and liked it a lot. The bottom line it still is a truck no matter how car like it is. I guess personally for my lifestyle and need, a sportwagon with 4wd will do the trick. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Originally posted by acuraguynj:
Acuraboy,

I hear what you're saying, but maybe a comprimise is an SUV built on a car platform, such as the Toyota Higlander / Lexus RX300 or BMW X5. This maybe the way to go to still have some performance and yet look rugged ;-)

Old 03-03-2001, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Acuraboy:
TL-S hands down for me. My wife has a 2000 Pathfinder which is definitely a nice vehicle albeit a bit under powered compared to the 2001's. It's a nice ride but in general, I don't think I will buy another SUV for a few reasons. The vast majority of people like my wife and I reallly do not use the "utility" aspect of the SUV. The 4wd comes in handy in snow, but we don't tow anything and never go off roading (which the Pathfinder is barely adequate to do so anyway). So what do we have? A large expensive vehicle that gets horrible gas mileage with not a lot of interior room, is underpowered, and is no fun at all driving fast although is does cruise nicely on the highway. I will opt for a sport wagon next such as the Audi, Volvo, or possibly Subaru once we have kids which will achieve all we need in a vehicle but without all of the drawbacks SUV's bring to the table. If you truly enjoy drivng, the TL-S will blow any SUV out of the water.
Acuraboy,

I hear what you're saying, but maybe a comprimise is an SUV built on a car platform, such as the Toyota Higlander / Lexus RX300 or BMW X5. This maybe the way to go to still have some performance and yet look rugged ;-)