NewOwner

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 03:04 PM

Cool NewOwner

I'm a 50 year old male & I had some cool cars when I was young-66 GTO Conv- 3dueces & 4 speed, 70 AMX- 4speed.--wish I still had them. After that tho- I've had the usually boring family sedans, vans, suv's etc. Until 2 weeks ago that is, when we bought my wife a new 2002 TL Type S (WDP W/O Navi, w/rear spoiler). My love affair with cars is rekindled!!

I can't believe this car! We thought we we're going to buy a new Lexus GS300--until we discovered that we could get everything it offered (and more!) for $11-12,000 less! It sure seems like an incredible bargain-with the added bonus that it totally kicks ass! My wife is going to let me drive it a couple of times a week and I intend to do some cruising on weekends (she knows little of my stoplight activities).

My question for all you regulars is this:
I'd like to make this car even quicker but there's no way I could have anything other than a 100% stock appearance-no fat tailpipes or ground effects for me. Also can't do anything that would alter or void warrantee. Also it is not practical to take back to dealer for alterations as we are in the sticks and he's 100 miles away.

Suggestions?
Old 10-11-2001, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NewOwner

Originally posted by wow12
My question for all you regulars is this:
I'd like to make this car even quicker but there's no way I could have anything other than a 100% stock appearance-no fat tailpipes or ground effects for me. Also can't do anything that would alter or void warrantee. Also it is not practical to take back to dealer for alterations as we are in the sticks and he's 100 miles away.

Suggestions?
My #1 Rule. No fat chicks in the car J/K Keep posted for the bolt on Mystery Mod supposed to be coming. Definately buy the CompTech Sways on this site. You can install them yourself. Get a little more meat on them rims. My personal opinion would be to drop an 1" or 2. Not a real noticable mod, unless you know what you are looking for. (=Wife) Drop in filter for better air. Denso spark plugs. Uhhh mmmmm SS that pup when you get a chance. Rest will be up to you at that point Luck
Old 10-11-2001, 03:30 PM
Pro

I've been considering some headers but they are pretty pricey and only work in higher RPM's. On the dyno they increase power by 32 HP at the wheels at 6600RPM but don't really kick in until about 5500 RPM or so.

The nice part is, the wife won't even know they are there during normal operation.

Otherwise, the "Mystery Mod" sounds promising.

Oh yeah, I forgot sway bars. I also have no experience with CAI but have heard it makes the car much louder during VTEC operation but not during low RPM use.
Old 10-11-2001, 03:33 PM
Racer

an Injen CAI or AEM CAI will help too.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:50 PM
Pro

Smile

Best of luck! Have a care, though. Some of these members will lead you into rack and ruin if you let them!!!
Old 10-11-2001, 04:50 PM

Mystery Mod?

How, where, when can I find out more about Mystery Mod?
Old 10-11-2001, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think most of the boys here know about some of them cars (wow12). A 66 Pontiac GTO man what a car 70 AMX takes me back to my Hot Wheels days I remember that also. You say you had 3 dueces I guess you are talking Buick ELECTRA 225 also known as Duce & a QUARTER. I will be 40 in a few months so you made a great choice in a new car for an old man.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

you can buy stuff from this site. just go to the top and click on suspension, etc.... and you can find all you want. tim is the admin of this site and he owns the store too. the store is called autocarparts.com (people always say "acp" here)

tim probably sells the cheapest comptech stuff you could find, and his service is nothing but excellent
Old 10-11-2001, 11:20 PM
10th Gear

3 deuces

Actually, the 3 deuces is a description of the three two barrel carbs that were on top that cubic inch monster. My dad had a '65 hard top GTO (Goat) that would snap the front end off the ground with those old Torque Twister tires. Oh what nastalgia...
Old 10-12-2001, 01:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Go comptech headers and exhaust and it will do some gains to power.......w/out voiding the warranties.
Old 10-12-2001, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Mystery Mod?

Originally posted by wow12
How, where, when can I find out more about Mystery Mod?
when the CL site is back up and running from it's software upgrade will post the link to the topic in there. It's 12 pages, mostly people disagreeing that the mod exists, but as you read on you get better info!! Congrats on the car and remember to keep it slow for the first 600-1000 miles!!
Old 10-12-2001, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Found the link below (in the meantime)..... happy reading. Just a little note, we should be finding out what the mystery mod is within the next 3 weeks. The product is being introduced at SEMA (which is a big aftermarket manufacturers show) which is the first week in November. That's where it's being introduced, then after that, we should be able to buy it!!

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ht=Mystery+Mod