Newbie question about modding.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 03:19 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Newbie question about modding.

I know this topic has been talked about over and over, but from the topics I've read, I have yet to see an answer that satisfies my curiousity. I've read that installing the Comptech headers would get you the most performance boost for the dollar (like getting a supercharger would if it was available for our TL-S). But what makes my question different is...

What gets you the most performance/dollar modification WITHOUT replacing anything?

My reason for this is that if I buy new sway/antiroll bars, what would I do with my old one? Same goes with springs and exhaust. To me thats a bit of a waste seeing as I wont be selling them to anyone (since noone would want stock anything) and they wouldn't fit in any other car that my family drives. I've looked around on the parts page of this website, and the only thing that comes into mind that doesn't look part of the stock engine is a cold air intake setup. If this is the case, which should I get...and does that filter come with it...or am I just getting the pipe? Again I apologise for being ignorant since the only experience I've had with cars is when I'm playing Gran Turismo.

(Just to get you a clearer picture in what I had in mind, the first mod I was gonna do before thinking about the cold air intake was to spray paint my calipers red...but again, I'm too chicken to do anything myself.)

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 05-22-2001, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't really think of anything besides maybe getting your wheels chromed. I got chrome wheels from the dealer (they look like the stock rims, but chrome) and IMO they look sweet as hell. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

chris
Old 05-22-2001, 03:31 PM

God DAAAAMN, you were gonna paint your calipers RED?!? Do NOT do that to your car. Your car is a beautiful blue, and red caipers would look horrendous.

Other than that, I would suggest -- if you are going to mod your car at all -- first starting with the suspension. Get some springs for 300 and an anti-roll bar/sways for another 150. I havent bought mine yet (the TL-S), but I have read that this should cost you ~$450 for parts and about ~$150 for installation. Your car will handle a lot better and look a lot nicer.

Headers cost about $1200 and a few hundred more to install. I'm not sure I'm convinced with the HP gains from headers, but I sure would like to hear more input on them. I dont think I'd get 'em.

Cold Air Intake has been talked about a lot, but I dont know if it makes much of a difference. There have been plenty of people who semed to have said it is more noise than power, with the CAI making very little gains in power. But who knows. I wouldnt get it.

If you want beauty mods, then the springs are my first choice. Get a bodkit here for less than a $1,000, painted but not installed.

Just dont paint those calipers red!
Old 05-22-2001, 03:32 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing that comes to mind where you don't have to replace anything is the VFAC(I'm not sure what that stands for). But what it does is allows you to control the rate of fuel at certian rpms..

The other thing you could do is add a subwoofer, some really cool music. That will make you drive faster!!

------------------
June 10, 11AM - N. Cali / Bay Area Meet - Click Here!
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/phanthavong/mytl.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>2001 SSM. 02 tails, 02 vent trim, burlwood knob.

Mods? What mods? I can't afford mods, I'm getting married!!
Vin says 2001, but it's really a 2000 with an upgraded cupholder!!
Old 05-22-2001, 03:43 PM
Bada Bing

You could always auction the stock parts on ebay. There are plenty of buyers out there, you've just got to know where to look. People are always selling their mods and going back to stock or wrecking their cars/breaking something and finding the cheapest way to repair them. If it weren't true why would junkyards be in business?
Old 05-22-2001, 03:48 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest dillema is that the way I see it, modding the TLS is like modding the Integra type-R, where most of the mods are for the regular TL/Integra GSR. How much more would specific mods acualy benefit us TLS owners. I've heard of people modding the Integra type R and accually getting worse performace because the parts that was in the stock type R are of higher quality than those of the aftermarket crap. For a TL owner, getting a better roll bar would definitely be a better buy than for the TLS owner where he had a better roll bar in the beginning. Thats why I'm hunting around mods where I wouldnt have to replace anything first. I have a friend who installed the CAI in his integra and I must admit, it's pretty embarrasing whenever he slams that thing in 3rd to pass someone up. The noise is extremely loud, and people tend to move out of our way pretty quick. Personally, I'd rather have a low rumbling V8 sound than a high pitch turboed 4 cylinder.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

I'm with ed, feeling the mod bug for 01 3.2TL. Any words of wisdom on chipping? I know a bit about GM cars on this one, but...this is my first foreign job!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

hands down the biggest go faster mod is headers on the 3.2 engine!!!!!
the fact the acura now gets 270hp out of the same 3.2 as my TLs by simply redisigning the exhaust manifold is proof of this. the exhaust manifold design of the 99-03 3.2 is the weakest link in air flow, replace it!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura also redesigned the intake on the '04. IMO, the only "addition" is the supercharger but part of the kit requires replacing the intake and if you are pushing more air in, you want to get it out as efficently as possible...there come the headers. scalbert did a detailed analysis of hp/$ and the results might interest you.

s/c myths

As for the intake, I like the Icebox. The filter is easy to clean (in fact there is a K&N that fits perfect), it's not quite as noisy as the AEM and no water ingerstion concerns.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:22 PM
I'd rather be driving:

The stock exhaust manifolds are absolutely asthmatic!!! Get the headers! (I'm holding onto my stock manifolds in case I have to return the car to stock, then I won't have to hunt eBay or the junkyards for stockers).
Old 03-27-2004, 11:52 PM
@ slide or die @

does someone even make intake manifolds for the TL?

*remember TL-p wont repons as good to mods as TL-S...

===
'99 @65kmi
some mods,
too lazy to write
em right now.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:32 PM
5th Gear

Thnks, guys. I have seen quite a bit about headers - guess I need to start shopping!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:59 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

keep everything stock in case you want to sell or update your mods or car. A dealer won't give you anything for your mods if you sell the car later. know a guy who had 5 grand in addons to a civic (rims, intake, exhaust, system, bodykit), dealer told him he would get say 10 grand for a stock civic or a modded up one. TH eguy took his car home switched everything back got the 10 grand for the car and sold the parts on ebay. The Dealer will enter the year, type, and condition of the car into a computer and that gives them a offer price for your used car. The dealer doesn't care if you say "there is 3 grand in addons". He can't sell it for threee grand more, nor willl he want to gfo through the headache of buying a mdded car and then finding a buyer for the same car. often cars go straight to the auctions after the dealer buys your old ones.

I had bad luck with a exhaust install and if I would have asked for the removed stock part (wil do now) I would have saved a ton of money. IMO
Old 03-29-2004, 10:05 AM
TL-S driver

exactly! I'm keeping all my stock stuff so I can put them back on when I sell the car. If the buyer doesn't car about the mods, then they are coming off and stocks are going back in. At least I can make some of my money back when I sell the aftermarkets parts.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Racer

Everyone says headers make a big difference.. but if you look at the Dyno Comptech did for the 99, it looks like difference is negligible.. and even then, only after 5000 rpm or so... what gives? The dyno is the main reason I haven't gotten headers for my 99 yet........ Check it out here

http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/1999TLplot.pdf
Old 03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
TL-S driver

you will only feel the difference in the high range of the RPM's. Low end feels the same. The biggest difference is when VTEC is engaged.