Newbie needs help with color selection and cooling questions, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 03:46 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs help with color selection and cooling questions, please

I have been looking for a new car and have fallen in love with the Acura TL-S. It fits my needs for performance and comfort at a reasonable price. I have never owned a black car before and am concerned about the amount of care requred to keep it presentable. I am also concerned about HOW HOT the black interior might get during the summer. If I had my choice I would select Aegean Blue with Parchment, BUT that is NOT available on the TL-S. I already have a green Camry V6XLE and don't want to get another green car and the white just doesn't turn me on that much. So it would appear that my only option is to go with Nighthawk Black and Parchment unless I go with the black interior and I don't really care for the bowling ball accent trim either. I drive from L.A. to Vegas a lot in the summer and am concerned about how hot the car will get. Will I hate myself for buying a black car? Will I cook inside if I get another color with black interior? I intend to keep the window tint stock, so this is a concern for me. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Also, how well does the Air Conditioner work in the TL-S and how cool does the engine run? I notice that the radiator only holds 7.8 quarts of coolant. (the same as the lower HP, lower compression ratio TL) My 3.0L Camry has over 9 quarts of coolant and runs the same temp at the beach as it does in 120 degree desert heat. The AC also freezes me out of the car while idling on the summer Vegas strip. Can I expect the same performance out of the TL-S? I'd hate to buy a new car for $30K+ and then have to turn the AC off while climbing grades in the summer. I got sick of that with my POS Z-28! Sorry for the long post, but I have been visiting here for quite some time and have found it to be full of great helpful information and comaradarie. Now I'm hoping to join the TL-S club soon! Thanks again for any comments to these concerns
Old 02-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Racer

I'm not sure if this will help, but I got '00 TL. You shouldn't be worry about overheating. TL has two electric fans which kick in together. I live in Philly and we get humid hot summers here. AC works great. Get the TL S!
Old 02-13-2002, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Check out the new 2003 Anthracite, it's pretty nice.

Why not just get the ABP?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:20 AM
Banned

I went through the same thing when I bought my TLS 10 months ago. I traded in a blue TL with the beige interior, and I really wanted the Aegean Blue TLS, but of course it only comes in black. With our Houston summers, a black leather interior didn't sound too appealing.

I checked around, and a lot of people said that it was more the outside color that mattered, and that darker colored cars would be hotter than lighter colored cars. This made a lot of sense to me, so what I ended up with is the Silver with the Black interior.

After almost a year, and one hot summer under my belt, I can vouch that this is true - my TLS was about the same during the summer as my old TL.

BTW - everyone hates the bowling ball trim at first, but it grows on you and now I think it's not too bad. I know several other people on this board think the same. If you really hate it 6 months from now, I'm sure you can find an aftermarket trim kit to replace it.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:32 AM
Drifting

I have an 02 SSM TLS with black interior and no tint. Yes, the interior heats up pretty nicely if you leave the car out in the open; but I've bought two items that helped tremendously: the Inspire rear window sunshade and the Covercraft heat shields (available on this site -- that's my car in the catalog photo ). I haven't had heat problems ever since. When it gets really hot, I tilt the sunroof open to let the hot air out.

The TL's A/C "blows major snowballs" as they say. It's very powerful, and it cools the interior down very quickly.

The engine temperature has never creeped up above the halfway mark for me, even on very hot days.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bowling ball trim rules, liked if from the start, added the trim kit. Have gotten nothing but compliments on it (except for the wife but her vote doesn't count).

I would think about tinting the windows if you get the dark interior. The climate control works pretty good, no complaints with the AC
Old 02-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Like mikester I too live in Houston. We have some pretty extreme heat similar to the areas you mentioned traveling through. I have an Aegean Blue TLS with the black interior. The interior heat has never been a problem. I do have a light (30%) tint all the way around. I didn't consider it a necessity for the heat but more to protect the interior from light damage long-term. Engine cooling is nothing to worry about with the TLS. I too have never seen my needle get to the halfway point!
Old 02-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Pro

Thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like the TL-S has solid AC and engine cooling. That is good to hear. I guess I'm still stuck between the Aegean Blue with Black or the Black with Parchment. I assume both of these body colors will take a lot of upkeep to stay nice looking. Which is harder to keep clean? The Antracite might be nice, but then again it only comes with a black interior, so I would probably stick with my first choice of Blue. I am only thinking of the Black in order to get the Parchment interior. I guess to be practical I should get the White with Parchment for heat concerns. But (no offense to WDP owners) it looks too much like my white work vehicles. The black has that "luxury class" look when it's clean... Just how hot does the outside color make the inside of the car feel?
Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2002, 03:50 PM
Advanced

I wanted the parchment in the ABP also, but I had to settle for the black. It's still cold here, so I can't vouch for performance in the summer, but I would rather go through the trouble of putting up a sunscreen and leaving the sunroof tilted than have to keep a black exterior clean. My ABP looks pretty good even when dusty, the black cars show dirt really well.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Southbound
I guess I'm still stuck between the Aegean Blue with Black or the Black with Parchment....The Antracite might be nice, but then again it only comes with a black interior, so I would probably stick with my first choice of Blue. I am only thinking of the Black in order to get the Parchment interior. I guess to be practical I should get the White with Parchment for heat concerns.
Whenever someone has a tough time choosing color, I always have to throw my $.02 in. Why dont you get SILVER?? Silver blends with everything. Its very easy to maintain. Doesnt really ever look dirty and when you wash it it looks fabulous. Also, there's no better team to be on than TEAM SILVER!!!
Old 02-13-2002, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Black will show every swirl, all dust and all the dirt, but does look great when clean and waxed. Might take alittle more time to care for then white or silver.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Yup...as an owner of a black exterior TLS, I can tell you that it is almost impossible to keep the car clean!! No matter how much I wash or wax, it seems to have dirt the next day. The ABP definitely looks the best in daytime, but I gotta say that towards evening and at night, the black is best by far!
I have the parchment interior and 35% tint all around. I have absolutely no heat problems, even on 98 degree days.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by nameeri

Whenever someone has a tough time choosing color, I always have to throw my $.02 in. Why dont you get SILVER?? Silver blends with everything. Its very easy to maintain. Doesnt really ever look dirty and when you wash it it looks fabulous. Also, there's no better team to be on than TEAM SILVER!!!
I don't know why people like silver - it does blend with everything. Like the road .

I wonder if there are stats showing silver cars get hit more often because people don't see them against the road.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:10 PM
Drifting

Another thing you may consider is what you may scuff onto the leather. A black interior may be hot, but it's hard to stain. I imagine that the parchment interior will pick up scuffs and marks from shoe soles and leather belts much more easily.

Greymage: I know what you mean! I own an SSM TLS and on overcast days I make it a point to turn my lights on. I have seen silver cars blend right into a gray sky or the road.

Good thing the TL-S has enough distinguishing features from all sides that it's hard to miss the car. But still...
Old 02-13-2002, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have a nbp/parchment and i love the car. i didn't get ebony coz' i was afraid of the heat in summer too. but seriously the ac in our car is awesome and the whole car can be very cool in a matter of mins.

and daverman is definitely right that parchment is hard to keep. i need to clean the floormats so often, and also vacuum and use lexol on my leather very very often. otherwise stains everywhere...
Old 02-14-2002, 01:20 AM
Banned

Southbound:
I haven't read everyone else's posts b/c I have a huge test tomorrow but I'll comment yours...by the way I have a 2002 Black/Black Acura TLS...and I live in Austin, TX (summer = 112 degrees) and I park in an open parking lot.

"I have been looking for a new car and have fallen in love with the Acura TL-S. It fits my needs for performance and comfort at a reasonable price. I have never owned a black car before and am concerned about the amount of care requred to keep it presentable."

Immediately after you get the car...go claybar it real good...prepare to invest 4-5 hours in this...but claybar it, then put on a good 4-5 coats of Zaino. Also immediately put Lexol on the interior leather and vinyl.

"I am also concerned about HOW HOT the black interior might get during the summer. If I had my choice I would select Aegean Blue with Parchment, BUT that is NOT available on the TL-S."

Ugh...blue and parchment? Gross. I have no tint yet and it gets mildly hot in the car...but I always either crack the sunroof...or use my covercraft windshield shield...and it stays pretty cool (~85 degrees)

I'd get an ebony interior no matter what honestly...it just looks sleek, period. And I don't know what you mean about stock tint...stock tint is no tint.

"Also, how well does the Air Conditioner work in the TL-S and how cool does the engine run? I notice that the radiator only holds 7.8 quarts of coolant. (the same as the lower HP, lower compression ratio TL)"

The AC usually cools my car in ambient 112 degrees down to 65 degrees in under 4 minutes. So it's good for me. I can't give you an exact temp on the engine...but I've raced mine in, as I said, 110-115 degree heat, for hours and no trouble whatsoever.

Personally one of my MUSTS was the AC, as I'm a Tejas boy...and it's great I think. Only thing that's better is the AC in the 02 Explorer. That thing's an icebox. You'll be happy, I promise.

Austin519
Old 02-14-2002, 02:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

you have an exam tomorrow and you are still posting that much including the big deal on the trim and sills?! man go back to study!!!

but i am sure we all appreciate your help. so let me say, thank you Austin519, you da man!
Old 02-14-2002, 03:00 AM
Banned

rominl:
"but i am sure we all appreciate your help. so let me say, thank you Austin519, you da man! "

Don't start thanking me until I actually get it done...

Austin519
Old 02-14-2002, 09:10 AM
Banned

I agree with mikester and the rest who had the same dilemma you do. I wanted ABP with parchment, because I was concerned about a black interior building up too much heat in the summer (yes, I know I'm in New England but we *do* get heat in the summer ). Anyway, I've gone through one summer with the ebony interior (without tint) and I had no problems. The A/C is *very* powerful and cools the interior in no time and if you tilt the sunroof when parked it helps vent the interior (good idea no matter what color you have).

As for the "bowling ball" trim, like everyone else says--it grows on you. I like it better than the wood in the parchment interior because that looks like fake wood. The black wood is *so* fake (because of the color) that it doesn't look like wood at all (IMHO) and instead just looks like black bowling ball trim.

And FWIW, my ABP always looks cleaner than my black '97 Maxima SE even though they both get washed about the same amount (which is never enough).

Go for the ABP with ebony. You won't regret it.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:04 AM
Pro

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys, for all of the input. From the responses, it seems that I can't go wrong no matter which color/combination I choose. I'm also glad to hear that the AC and cooling system are both overkill. At this point I'm starting to think that my decision might be made by whatever deal I can manage to get. I was all prepared to buy a couple of weeks ago, and then the 03 suddenly appeared. Now, I've got to at least take the time to make sure that nothing has changed enough to make me regret getting the 02. I can't believe that they haven't made a slight change to the tail lights, etc. Something doesn't add up with the new Acura.com dimension specs. If it really is a couple of inches taller... something else would have to change. The interior dimensions are listed as identical and SO IS THE CURB WEIGHT. You can't make a car 2 inches higher without changing the weight? Would love to see some pics of the 03! The CLS pics show that they changed the front end fog lamp area and put clear glass all the way across the top of the tail lights and added a hand parking brake. I was expecting to see some sort of similar changes in the TLS. So far all we have heard is that the front emblem may be different? I wish the website would update their photo gallery so that I could get on with my purchase! I would love to see the guys who are in the Park Avenue Acura area snap some photos and post them for the rest of us to ponder... I knew that this was a great forum. Thanks again all for your responses! "Lawd, I'm Southbound"... Allman Bros...
Old 02-15-2002, 07:54 AM
Advanced

I think there was speculation earlier that the extra 2 inches was the height of the Onstar antenna.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

well if anything ia m more concerned about the extra 0.6 inch wheel gap above the wheel.... don't acura think that they already make the tls like an suv?
Old 02-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Greymage

I don't know why people like silver - it does blend with everything. Like the road .

I wonder if there are stats showing silver cars get hit more often because people don't see them against the road.
I drive with my lights on all the time, so it's not really an issue.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:02 PM
tea elle

Re: Thanks guys!

I knew that this was a great forum. Thanks again all for your responses! "Lawd, I'm Southbound"... Allman Bros...
This man knows his music. The Allman Brothers Rock! In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and Mountain Jam from Live at the Filmore in 1970 are two of the all-time greatest driving songs. Finally, somone on this board that isn't consumed by the hip-hop, gangsta thang.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Question Which Color

NBP or ABP, that is the question. We have the NBP with parchment here in Houston, and it does just fine. We went with those lighter colored chairs for the "heat" reasons, plus we just like a little better than the black interior.

The AC in the TLS is what I would call average, and it does the job. It does not have the capacity or a quick cool down like an Avalon,,,but it will cover you up to 100 degrees and 100% humidity.

The NBP does have BLUE in it,,,some people have not noticed that until after they buy it - that is where the "nighthawk" part of it comes from.

Upkeep, on both the NBP and ABP should be just about the same. The punch line on both cars,,,,If a bird craps on it, you must "mist and wipe" it off every day. Under the intense sunlight and heat the crap WILL be bake into the paint within ONE day !

So that is it...lots of opinions,,,,basically, go with the color and interior you like best,,,you will be just as happy with one as the other!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro

Right On! tea elle!

"Ain't but one way out"... I may be giving my age away, but I can still put 200 good miles behind me by cranking up the Allman Brothers Band, Live at the Filmore East! "You don't love me" is good for 50 miles all by itself! "Eat a Peach" will get you another 200... ****y Betts in his prime was the best guitar player of all time... Since I have admitted to being middle aged, just what are the demographics of Aegean Blue owners? I have decided that I really like this color and want to order it this week. Now I'm wondering, out of curiousity sake, how old are the people who chose this color? Is it the young group who select it to stand out from the crowd, or is it just a nice color that has a broad spectrum of buyers? I have a 50th birthday coming up in two weeks, and this is my present to myself... am I too old to buy a bright blue car? Should I stick with the more conservative classic black? Never had any kids, just me and my wife who love to travel. Yet as the dreaded birthday approaches, I can't help but remember... "what those young girls can do to you"... (lyrics from "You don't love me", Allman Bros. Band, circa 1970) Anyone else want to admit to their age? I'd appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one who refuses to give it up...
Old 02-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Re: Right On! tea elle!

I have a 50th birthday coming up in two weeks, and this is my present to myself... am I too old to buy a bright blue car? Should I stick with the more conservative classic black? ...
1. You are old enough (and so am I) to do any damn thing you want. You can even buy the car and paint any color you want; however, that is not logical.
2. "conservative classic black" - - Keep in mind the Acura NBP is not classic, and with the parchment interior and adding "hand painted" matching parchment pin stripes - - most seem to think the Black is SEXY!
3. And that ABP, is most likely one of the prettiest "Blues" in the market place!

Man, don't worry about age,,,I am the OLDEST one on the board!

NOW GO GET IT BABE !
Old 02-20-2002, 12:32 PM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Memphis and I went with the white due to the fact that my last car was black on black and you could actually smell the car burning when you leave it in the sun for a few hours. If you go with black, definitely get parchment leather. Also go get the darkest mirror tint legal in your state. I have 35% 3m mirror tint and it blocks 98% UV and 45% heat, plus you can still easily see out of it even at night.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:33 PM
tea elle

Yeah, I hear ya loud and clear about the music. Listening to Duane and ****ie trading leads...sharing leads...Duane was a friggin' god of the slide guitar...so amazing.

When you listen to the Allmans, are you able to tell ****ie and Duane apart? I have this debate with some people I know who don't think I can tell which is which, but I absolutely can. They have such distinctly differently styles, yet they play together so flawlessly.

Anyway, in terms of the Blue paint, I just find the color to be a little on the trendy side...like if I got that color I think I'd get tired of it in no time. I got the silver because it shows the lines of the car better than any other color, it looks great even when dirty, its the easiest color to maintain, it doesn't get nearly as hot inside as the darker colors, and I've owned three black cars already...too tooo much stress about the car never looking as good one hour after its been washed.

Also, the color of the wheels looks so great with the silver car. I think if you get the Blue, you gotta get chrome wheels because it just doesn't work with the brushed Type S wheels.

I'm gonna be 38 in April....I still remember 1970 pretty vividly. I was a little hippie kid back then...listening to the Beatles, CSNY, Bob Dylan and Led Zep in first grade!
Old 02-20-2002, 02:33 PM
tea elle

allmans

Yeah, I hear ya loud and clear about the music. Listening to Duane and ****ie trading leads...sharing leads...Duane was a friggin' god of the slide guitar...so amazing.

When you listen to the Allmans, are you able to tell ****ie and Duane apart? I have this debate with some people I know who don't think I can tell which is which, but I absolutely can. They have such distinctly differently styles, yet they play together so flawlessly.

Anyway, in terms of the Blue paint, I just find the color to be a little on the trendy side...like if I got that color I think I'd get tired of it in no time. I got the silver because it shows the lines of the car better than any other color, it looks great even when dirty, its the easiest color to maintain, it doesn't get nearly as hot inside as the darker colors, and I've owned three black cars already...too tooo much stress about the car never looking as good one hour after its been washed.

Also, the color of the wheels looks so great with the silver car. I think if you get the Blue, you gotta get chrome wheels because it just doesn't work with the brushed Type S wheels.

I'm gonna be 38 in April....I still remember 1970 pretty vividly. I was a little hippie kid back then...listening to the Beatles, CSNY, Bob Dylan and Led Zep in first grade!