Newbie about to purchase TL-S with questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie about to purchase TL-S with questions

I will be leasing a new TL-s this week and I have two quick questions.
First, I am having difficulty deciding on a color. I really like the ABP, but I am concerned about long term durability of a "darker" colored car. I take great care of my cars and in keeping them clean, but I still worry about really loving such a color by year 2.

I currently have Toyota Solara in Diamond White Pearl and I love the color. I can go a few weeks without washing it if necessary.
Also, chips and door dings are easily hidden since the color has a white base coat. I read some of the complaints people have had with this color. I have times noticed the minor color difference. The way the Solara rear bumper meets the car it can be more easy to notice the difference.

I think the car will look beautiful regardless. I am also going to have Comptech springs installed, have the windows tinted, and a spoiler added. For me, the blue does add a bit more sporty look to the car, while the white gives it more of a luxury look.

It's just a tough call for me and I would appreciate any thoughs.

Lastly, here is the deal I have on the table. 39mo lease, 399+tax, 12K miles/yr , with 2K out of pocket and another $1k I am putting in for the springs, install and tint. Does this sound like a good deal? I feel pretty good about it, since they started out at 460+ tax for 48 mo.

Can't wait to bring my new ride home.
Thanks-
PNC
Old 09-10-2001, 08:03 PM
Racer

Try this: Flip a coin - heads for ABP, tails for WDP. Before you flip, make a commitment that you are going to stick with the result. If it comes up heads and you think about trying for 2 out of 3, get the WDP.

Can't really comment on the lease deal, I don't do those. Not that there's anything wrong with leasing, I just don't.

Whatever you decide, you will love this car. Unless you pick the wrong color, that is.
Old 09-11-2001, 06:55 AM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wondered about the ABP after my purchase, but now nearly two months later...

I love the color! It looks different in all types of light, and different than 99% of the vehicles out there.

You can't go wrong with either choice, but don't worry about liking the blue.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:07 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the NBP and love it BUT, it gets dirty VERY easily. The silver looks pretty cool and low maintence.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:15 AM
Cruisin'

Just hold out till the dealer gets one in without the questions...
Old 09-11-2001, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Newbie about to purchase TL-S with questions

Looks like a good deal if you're talking about a TypeS w/Navi
Old 09-11-2001, 10:06 AM
No, you are a dork.

I would go with the WDP because of the luxurious look.. It is amazing when polished and even beautiful when not. The dark colored cars show everything including water spots after a rain or car wash.....
Old 09-11-2001, 12:28 PM
Advanced

javagod-
It's w/out the Navi. It concerns me that you say it's a good deal if it includes the Navi. Should I be working to get a better deal? What's a good deal on a TL-S w/out Navi. I don't need it, but I wouldn't mind having the option if I should be asking for it at that price.
Thanks-
PNC
Old 09-11-2001, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Why don't you purchase instead of lease? Especially when you want to add all the modds on to it.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:08 PM
2nd Gear

PNC,

I can't comment on how good the deal is without more information. What's the cap cost? What's the residual? What's the money factor? What're the deposit, acquisition cost and disposition fee? What's the overmileage fee? By paying $2,000 up front, you are essentially paying an extra $51.28 per month. That makes your monthly payment $450.00, not $399.00. Shortening the lease does not necessarily make it a better deal. How much did the residual change?

For what it's worth, I'm in the middle of negotiating a deal on a TL-S w/o Navi, wheel locks, mud guards, trunk tray and stripe (Dealer list price of $429 for the extras). So far I've been quoted $31,012 cap cost, nothing down, $19,026 residual, 39 months, 12,000 miles per year for $474.00 (includes 6 % sales tax). That works out to $447.00 before taxes. Frankly, I think the cap cost is high, so I'm still working them. A 60% residual for 39 months is pretty close and probably not negotiable. NEVER judge a deal based solely on monthly payments. They can play too many games with the variables and get the payments where you want them and screw you on the other numbers. Good luck.

Jim
Old 09-13-2001, 02:45 PM

Talking PURCHASE it...and go for WHITE!

Why not just BUY the car if your planning on doing all these mods to it? Better for you in the long run. I personally don't lease myself and don't knoe whether that's a good deal or not so can't help you there...but I can help on color. I have the WDP and love it. It's clean, it's classy and it's just plain beautiful. :p Dark colors are harder to take care of and with the ABP, it might just be a fad for now. What would you rather have...sporty or luxurious? Along with this, fads come and go...white stays around forever. Good luck
Old 09-13-2001, 02:55 PM
tea elle

The blue is too faddish and it will get dirty easily. WDP is better when dirty, but silver is the best
Old 09-13-2001, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tea elle
The blue is too faddish and it will get dirty easily. WDP is better when dirty, but silver is the best

I second that motion

I was set on silver before I stepped foot into the dealer. When I finally saw the cars I was amazed how nice WDP looked and thought about it for a minute, naaaah. Silver has always been my favorite color for my cars. No other color even crossed my mind
Old 09-13-2001, 03:28 PM
Instructor

I love my WDP. But I envy those with ABP--they are beautiful! No help, huh? Sorry. One thing I noticed, and why I did NOT buy the blue...the swirl marks on the dark cars I saw in direct sun light looked like road maps. And my "Pearl" never shows swirl marks.

Lady-TL, your friend cracks me up!
Old 09-13-2001, 03:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Have SSM and it's really easy to take care of since you can't really see the dust unless you take a real close look. I love the black color, but you have to keep it clean all the time. I really enjoyed looking at my black Civic after waxing it. It's like looking at a mirror (sort of). You can even see the reflection of the leaves on a tree.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by LarryLynx
I love my WDP. But I envy those with ABP--they are beautiful! No help, huh? Sorry. One thing I noticed, and why I did NOT buy the blue...the swirl marks on the dark cars I saw in direct sun light looked like road maps. And my "Pearl" never shows swirl marks.

Lady-TL, your friend cracks me up!

You like my monkey boy huh? hehe But yeah, swirl marks are a must for all dark cars, especially black and I would say blue next. Envious? At times.....cause you knoe it looks good...but as always, I'm happy with the white cause it looks just as great. LOVE IT! Hey you're from WOODLAND...no one's from Woodland. haha.....I go to Davis...probably the only reason why I've even heard of Woodland.

Phatnasty....GO FOR WHITE! Monkey friend says NO NO BLUE!
Old 09-14-2001, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree with Av8torjim, that if you do not have all of that info then you have no idea of the validity of the deal that the dealer is making.

Try getting the dealer to NOT tell you the montly payment and gather the pertinent info and use a lease calculator and determine the monthly cost yourself.

As for the mods, you are aware that you are paying for mods that after 39 months may be lost when you turn the car in. Ask the dealer if these could be built into the lease, it is a far fetch, but if they can be, then you would only have to pay for a portion of the cost.

Another thing to keep in mind, Greenspan is almost definately set to lower rates by 1/2% very soon. This cut would lower the money factor, thus the monthly cost.

Good luck, information is golden, get it all before you sign.
Old 09-14-2001, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by phatnastycat
javagod-
It's w/out the Navi. It concerns me that you say it's a good deal if it includes the Navi. Should I be working to get a better deal? What's a good deal on a TL-S w/out Navi. I don't need it, but I wouldn't mind having the option if I should be asking for it at that price.
Thanks-
PNC
You can get one with Navi for about $31,600 + tax. I got mine almost 6 months ago for $31,900. Since Navi is a 2K option I believe you should be able to get the base model for $29,600. But I HIGHLY recommend the navi if you're in a coverage area.

For a lease comparison, my payments are $488 + 8% tax = $527 for 36 mos. with the residual at $20,900 (bit on the higher side). This is with $1500 down ($500 towards cap cost red., rest towards tax, license and the mandatory bull***t fees - doc prep. fees etc. etc.)

Do not focus on the monthly payment - you will get RIPPED OFF! The purchase price (less cap cost reduction), money factor and residual are the only things that you need to worry about.

Look for a purchase price as above, money factor depending on your credit - I got .0032 (.0032 * 100 * 24 = 7.68%) which is good. The money factor is not listed on some leases so specifically ask the finance dept. You can calculate this also from the "rent charge" on the lease.
Old 09-14-2001, 01:01 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

With all these advises floating around on what color people think you should get because YOU'D be happier with it, I'll give you what I think that'll make ME happier. DONT GET THE ABP. Listen to them, and do your part to help put less ABPs on the road. Why not try for the NGM?
Old 09-16-2001, 03:41 AM
Advanced

hey....speak of the devil....my friend and i bought our TL's at the same time.......he bought the ABP and I bought the WDP. At first i was like...'damm..i kept saying i was going to get a white car before....but that ABP looks niiice.' Even considered getting the ABP as well....which wouldn't have been good with BOTH my friend and i having the same color. They had a navi ABP at the dealership already.....but i opted on waiting 2 more weeks for the white.

After our purchases....i'm glad i bought the WDP. To me it does look classier....but don't doubt that at times i'd like to sport the ABP. ABP looks nice....and its rare. If you are going to do the whole 'ricer' bit....ABP might be a better color to go with.

One thing though with the WDP. The paint difference (two tone)due to plastic v. metal cohesiveness is apparent. If it bothers you...don't get WDP. Its not as noticeable on the darker colors.

Hope this helps.

Cali meet anyone?
BTW *needs help on good 'tuner' shops in the so cal area....St. Andre's isn't cutting it*

Old 09-16-2001, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Went this past weekend to get my deal finalized. The dealer is selling the car (with dealer installed options of mudguards, trunk tray and all-weather mats) at 29,662. That's a little just over $1K over invoice and $600 under Edmunds TMV. I put a refundable deposit down on the car, so if anyone thinks this is a bad deal, please let me know. BTW, I'd love to have the Navi, I just can't justify the $2K. I don't travel enough, and I know my way around the ATL pretty well. Plus, it doesn't residualize well with a lease.

The dealer has an ABP on lot as a demo and when I took a closer look at I could see the "spider-webbing" all over it. I immediately decided that as nice of a color it is, I don't want a dark car. I am sure the dealer hadn't been babying the car, but I envisioned potential paint wear over time that I wouldn't appreciate. I decided to go with the DWP. However, they didn't have one on the lot, and they have a waiting list already for that color.
So, I finally decided to go with the silver. I have always liked silver on cars as long as it is a metallic silver. When I saw one on the lot in this color, I decided it was the color for me. Too bad that one was already sold.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
-PNC
Old 09-16-2001, 08:59 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way, it will be worth the wait to get a brand spankin' new car. You don't want a car that's been sitting in a lot all day. Good choice on your color, welcome!