new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new purchase

I'm looking at: Lexus ES300, Acura TL-S, Volvo S-60, BMW 325. Any one had experience with models other than Acura, and any helpful comments? I've just about ruled out the BMW because of persistent rumors of expensive and troublesome problems. If the Acura is so good. . .why is it priced below the Volvo. The comparable Volvo (from engine standpoint) is the T-5. Add on the equal options to the Volvo and the cost really goes up. Any replies ASAP will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Walt
Old 07-19-2001, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to get a Volvo S60 be sure to get the T5. As for the price difference its because of Acura's current mission. Its making many of its cars (TL/CL, RSX) fully loaded. As you probably know, the only factory option for the CL/TL is the navagation system. If you read any mag reviews the number one thing that the TL/CL does best is pushing the value point. Any other cars in its price range really can't compare to it because of its complete package. You buy a TL/CL and you get everything. The S60 T5 is a great car but similarly priced it pushes close to 40k. I'm not clear on how many S60's Volvo is manfacturing but I betcha its less than the numbers of TLs being made. Acura is probably making a smaller profit on each car but probably selling more in general. Don't worry about the TL-S being a 'worse' car than the S60 T5.
Old 07-19-2001, 07:59 PM
Racer

in my humble opinion...

The BMW 325 is an EXTRMELY nice and gorgeous car, but with an automatic tranny it really isn't all that fast. Hell, my Accord V6 could beat a 325i/auto. You really don't get a lot for your money and things like a CD player and a moonroof are optional. By the time you load one up you're into the mid-30's almost, all for a car with a tiny back seat. Beautiful, yes, but it's a very poor value, IMO. But if you want to pickup chicks, the 325i has the highest sex appeal by far of all 4 cars.

Same thing with Volvo - poor value. Its base price looks good, but as you load on "packages" that are standard on even an Accord EX V6 the price just skyrockets. Additionally, turbocharged engines are higher maintenance, require cool-down idles for 30-60 seconds before you shut them down - what a pain! And worst of all, Volvo is owned by Ford now, and that's not a good thing. The best brands that Ford buys (Volvo, Mazda) and the worst ones tend to get better (Jaguar) in terms of quality, and you end up paying $40k for a luxury Ford! ???? They don't build Volvo's like they used to....

The Lexus ES300 is a very nice car, but it's more appealing to the luxury crowd than the enthusiast crowd. It only has a 4-spd auto in a class where pretty much everyone has a 5-spd auto. It's also quite slow - low-8s 0-60 times and low-16s 1/4 mile runs in a class where most are managing high-6/low-7 0-60's and high-14/low-15 1/4 mile runs. And again - similar problems to the above - "basic things" are optional. My Accord V6 has a standard 6-disc CD player and moonroof, so why doesn't a "luxury" ES300???? $2000 extra for those??? gimme a break...

The Acura TL-S is an UNBEATABLE value for the money, it has class-leading performance, and a solid reputation for reliability. If I had my pick of these cars I'd buy a TL-S tomorrow. I drive an Accord V6 now, but my gf/stb-fiance might take it in a year because she needs a car. If she does I'd probably buy a TL-S.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Pro

I looked at pretty much the same lineup before opting for the TLS. The bottom line came down to which car could offer me my "Top Ten" items I wanted in a new car at the most reasonable cost. While I loved the Vovlo, it got very pricey, very fast, with just a few options.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro

Talking

Yeah, I agree, the Volvo was way too expensive fully equipped and it has such a small back seat. The ES is a joke (Lexus really needs to re-tool that car - the dealers can't GIVE them away!). The TL-S really represents one of the best auto values out there!
Old 07-20-2001, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

You left out the important details: your budget and your purpose/use for the car.

If you budget is $32K and under, the TL-S is a no-brainer decision almost despite what your purpose/driving style is. Like everyone says, nothing comes close at this price point.

If your budget is $40K-$45K, I would wait for the 2002 or 2003 (not sure when it will actually be released) Volvo S60S (aka PCC) which is awesome: 300HP Twin Turbo, AWD, 18" Wheels, body kit; a beautiful and limited production car.