New member here with an important question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2000, 03:33 PM

Post New member here with an important question....

Hey guys, how's it goin. Just found this site a few days back and registered today. I should be gettin a new car in a few months, courtesy of the parents (we had a deal that if I got a scholarship to Rutgers I'd get one), and I've got my choices down to three cars: The CL-s, TL-s (maybe), or the BMW 325Ci. I know its stupid of me to come on an Acura board and ask this question, but I'll do it anyway. What are your honest thoughts on the CL-s as compared to the BMW 325Ci. Which one is truly worth getting? Your comments would be much appreciated.

------------------
Chowder
-------
'93 Sentra XE, Mods:
-Super Air flow dented doors
-"Wash Me" insignia on back window
-Customized seats with Simulated "cigarette burns"

[This message has been edited by Chowder007 (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-2000, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at it this way:

you got everything in the CL-S for $30K and best of all i doubt it would give you any trouble for awhile. So it's a guarentee trouble free car until at least you graduate.

On the other hand you will get a nicely equip 325CI for a low $30K. Exceptionally handling and looks great too. It's can't compare to the power of the CL-S or TL-S ( coming out soon). But it's handling is better of course.

Tough choice, but since you are young ... I would go with the 325CI. Although I love my TL but if I was at your age .. i know I wanted a handler rather than a cruiser with a bit of handling character to it .

PS .. you are one lucky guy to have a choice between these 3 great cars.

------------------
2000 TL w/ Nav Monterey Blue Pearl, Burlwood Shift Knob, Spoiler and Inspire Tail light
Old 12-21-2000, 04:03 PM
Pro

I would say go with the CL, because if you have any problems with the car, it will be covered while you are in college and it's a lot cheaper to maintain then the BMW, and besides you will have this great site to visit.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit...
Quiets ride
Old 12-21-2000, 04:16 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QUIETSTORMMVN_IN:
I would say go with the CL...it's a lot cheaper to maintain then the BMW...</font>
Actually, BMWs come with all scheduled maintenence covered under warranty, i.e. - they pay for oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Personally, I wish I would have stuck with my first plan and gotten a used 5-series BMW instead of my TL. Don't get me wrong - I love the TL, but...

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, burlwood shift, Whistler 6-band
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 12-21-2000, 05:14 PM
Instructor

If you can convince them to get you the 330ci instead of the 325ci I'd say go with that. If not I'd get the TL Type S.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights, Gutter Guard Grill,
Looking for 18s, Scratch that
I'm getting a TL-S
Old 12-21-2000, 05:15 PM
Pro

I think I'd do the CL-s. My family has always had BMW's and although they drive great, they require more maintenance than any of my Honda/Acura's ever did. The CL-S is powerful, reliable, and a scream to drive. I agree that the BMW's may handle a bit better, but the CL-S is much more bang for the buck (not just price , but cost of maintenance too). Plus, you can use the fact that you got a more "practical" car to get more point from the parents. =) Either way, you are lucky. Just my opinion.

Gomez- glad you got the TL and modded it out so I could have the shifter =)

------------------
1999 Satin Silver TL
Dunlop SP9000 215-45/17-mounted on CL-S 17" Rims
H&R Springs-Inspire Tailights-20/30/40 tint

Y2k Honda S2k Roadster
- Mingster Aeroscreen, Smokin Front mesh Grill, Clear Sidemarkers

[This message has been edited by yu888 (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-2000, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

1) tl-s
2) 3 series
Old 12-21-2000, 05:38 PM
Acuras Only in

man, what was I riding when I was in college, a bike or #11 bus ? I think you should go with CL-S since it will give you less trouble than the BMW. You are too young for a TL
Old 12-21-2000, 06:09 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gomez:
Originally posted by QUIETSTORMMVN_IN:
I would say go with the CL...it's a lot cheaper to maintain then the BMW...</font>
Actually, BMWs come with all scheduled maintenence covered under warranty, i.e. - they pay for oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Personally, I wish I would have stuck with my first plan and gotten a used 5-series BMW instead of my TL. Don't get me wrong - I love the TL, but...

Hey, no shame in my game! If I knew I was going to throw this much into my car I would have bought a 540i 6spd. But then, I didn't know I would be getting this type of commissions either...no regrets but damn, I have like a $38,000 TL now.

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 12-21-2000, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys. I know that with any Acura I'll be gettin a whole lot more for my money. The thing with BMW is that they tear you a new a$$hole for each option, like leather seats, paint, and cd player just to name a few basic ones. Well, I've got a little time to research each car and find which one is better price/quality wise (and which one the chicks dig more )

------------------
Chowder
-------
Mods:
-Super Air flow dented doors
-"Wash Me" insignia on back window
-Customized seats with Simulated "cigarette burns"
Old 12-21-2000, 11:43 PM

I got the TL, and its a nice car, but if you want a slalom rocket, go German. The BMW is expensive for what it is.

I recommend the Audi A4 1.8T. For a small 4cyl, you can get a lot of power from it buy chipping it, which will boost you to 200 hp. It sas its 150hp stock, but its really a little over 160.

Most people might think this is absolute bull, just like I did, but its true.

Old 12-21-2000, 11:57 PM
I love my G sedan

I would recommend you to get a CL-S. 325ci is kind of weak in acceleration so it is not too practical in terms of the usual driving. Both of CL-S's horsepower and torque is much higher than that of 325ci. It seems to me that TL is more like a successful family man's car than a young folk's car. If your parents already have a four door or a minivan or sport utility, then you don't need another 4 door, is it? Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2000, 12:21 PM

Oldirtyxu,

I checked out the Audi A4 1.8T on the web and it looks like a really nice car. When I load it up with what I want it comes to 26k something, which is really reasonable compared to the 325Ci (I have a price ceiling of 30-32k, but I'd prefer not to have my parents spend over 28). Plus its got 170 horses, which isn't that bad, if I really need more power I'll mod it. One thing I was curious about was that "chipping" thing. Is that just modifying the computer? If so, have you driven one thats been chipped?
Old 12-22-2000, 01:23 PM
Pro

save up some money, wait, and get a 330 =P
Old 12-22-2000, 02:15 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chowder007:
...I've got my choices down to three cars: The CL-s, TL-s (maybe), or the BMW 325Ci. I know its stupid of me to come on an Acura board and ask this question, but I'll do it anyway. What are your honest thoughts on the CL-s as compared to the BMW 325Ci. Which one is truly worth getting? Your comments would be much appreciated.
</font>
Here's how I see it:

TL/CL advantages:
  • Value and price. You get an awful lot of content and awfully high quality for a price that's thousands of dollars less than the competition.
  • Space. The TL/CL is a lot more spacious than the 3-series. The Bimmer will hold two comfortably. The Acura will hold four.
325 advantages:
  • The 3 series is the best-driving sedan in the world. Period. As good as the Acura is, it's not in the same league.
  • You can get a manual transmission on the 3-series.

The bottom line, though, is that they're very different cars. The TL/CL is a luxury tourer. It handles well, rides wonderfully, and cruises like a dream. It's got lots of space, it's quick and quiet. The 3-series is a sports sedan. It handles superbly, is perfectly balanced, gives you great feedback through the wheel, pedals, and seat of your pants.

You won't go wrong with either, but they're apples and oranges.

If it wasn't for my growing daughter (and all her growing friends...) and my ever-practical wife, I would have bought a 2000 323i. We needed the space, and it fit our budget better. But I am very, very happy with the TL; It is the right car for me at this point in my life.

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000

[This message has been edited by black2000 (edited December 22, 2000).]
Old 12-23-2000, 09:14 PM

Yes, my friend's brother has as A4 1.8 that is modified, and his mother has a A4 1.8 automatic.

With the new computer chip, the turbo really kicks in. It's about a $700-$800 upgrade, and you get about 30 hp from it. Too bad it doesn't do the same with the 1.8T golfs.

I've driven his moms, and it feels kind of weak, because it was also an automatic. But, what I did like, is that the car doesn't kick when you tap on the gas pedal.

If you get the Audi, definitely get the quattro option. It's worth it. The 4wd handling on the A4 will beat the Acura's and the BMW's.

The only downside is that it's a little less roomy, and the instrument panel is lit up red, instead of blue like the VW's.

But your bang for the buck is definitely a CL Type S. I personally hate the styling of it. It competes with the new BMW 330, which still beat the CLS, but look at the price difference.
Old 12-24-2000, 02:51 PM

If you intend to purchase a manual transmission, the BMW is the only choice as Acura has yet to offer a manual.
NSXT
CT Airbox/I/H/E/Short Gears/4:55 R&P
Dali Composite Clutch/Flywheel/Sways
Old 12-24-2000, 03:23 PM
Rx Master

Honestly i went thru the same decisoin that u are going thur, I wantred a bmw, the 323 at the time for the prestige factor and i wanted a car that would have all the ladies, go oooowwwwwww, nice car. BUt when iu was at the dealer and they wanted almost 600 a month for a lease, i nearly laughed my ass off. FOr a 30 grand car, actually it startsd at around 26 then u start adin shit and u have a 38 grand tiny ass car, NOt worth it I said.
SO i went to the acura dealershipo and i saw the TL and THe CL-s and I was very perplexed, didnt know which i wanted, but after ai drove the cl-s and got up n it, my choice was made. I had already had 2 maximas before, 89 and 98, so ididnt need a 4 door again. Wanted a sposty car and acura cl-s was more sporty than the bimmer i thought. I am very happy with my cl-s and the fact that i pay 479 for a fully loaded one makes me happy. See my pic and sig for all my stuff.
WG

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, and bel 950 radar detector
exaust and coilovers to come soon

Old 12-24-2000, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Personally, I love the Bimmer...it costs more, is engineered better(IMO), handles like no other...It's in a category all its own...If yo are conscious about money, I would get the TL or CL, if money no object, the Bimmer, but fully loaded..
Ed
Good Luck!

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-24-2000, 09:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
BTW, those 1.8T's in the audi's and Vdub, you can do wunders with, man..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-25-2000, 12:44 AM

Man....try to pull for an Audi S4.
2.7 V6 biTurbo.

Sacrifice your phone line, cable TV, and try to spend less than $1 a month on food. With that you can definitely pull off the extra cash.