New Member!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking New Member!

Sup guys and girls!
Been on the forums for like 2 months now, just for researching about modifying the TL
From Palm Beach Gardens FL
Just recently finance a 2001 Acura Tl w/Navigation! (Bought it for my good friend of mines)
I was lucky enough to find the car with the full Oem Body kit and the spoiler also! (Thats rare to come by...)
It's a Buy here and Pay here dealership with only 1g down and 80 bucks every week. The whole car costs was selling for 8g but was able to lower with 6995
(not to bad at least!)
Anyways the exterior is Gray and the interior is Black leather in Mint Condition!
I was like... I fell in love with it hahaha

Give the TL 8/10 cause of...
1) Mileage is 163000k (Not a big issue cause i know it can last over 300k)
2) The Navi Screen is melting and peeling (Annoying me)
3) SRS is on the Cluster ()
4) TCS Button doesn't work for some reason
(when I press the button, it didnt lit "trac off" up on the cluster)
5) The CD for the DVD Navi was jamm and couldnt get the CD out!
(Right now im taking apart the DvD system and was able to get it out)
6) Transmission been replaced but have no information whatsoever about it
7) Have to replace some parts like the Driver sun visor, Navi screen, ash tray
smh
8) Was a smokers car (good thing is that I don't smell any cigarettes at all! I notice the ash inside the ash tray but it was for the coins only)
I think thats it for now lol

There some mods that i wanna put into the car soon
1) Drilled/Slotted Rotors from Ebay
2) AEM or injen CAI
3) 02-03 Acura TL OEM tail lights (looks cleaner on the TL and doesnt have to be OEM)
4) Interior Lights, 8k D2R bulbs, Liscense plate bulbs ( Just order them recently should be coming this Thursday)
5) Planing on lowering the car by like 3" but I have no idea about any suspension modifications... I know some brands like Ebiachi and Tiens
6) Major Tune Up... for the past 4 days I have been putting 20 dollars each day for the TL... I think theres something wrong on that ( Btw I been using Shell 93 octane and it burns fast even on highways, I read on the fourms that Mobil and Cheve gas station are good for the Tl)
7) JDM inspire fogs lights (im not gonna lie... they look bad a$$ on the TL)
8) Adding some Fusa, tsuna, and VIP curtains from Junction Produce ( they look nice IMO)

Future mods:
1) Supercharged or turbo ( I dont think we have the option for a turbo since its a front wheel right? Or none were made for that year. Correct me plz)
2) Engine swap with a Acura Tl type-S 02-03 boosting up to 35hp (should be a direct fit since its the same generation with almost the same looks)
3) Exhaust change... dont know the brand ( there worth like... 1g?!)
4) Headers ( Heard that you can gain 30hp+! Haven't research about them yet)
5) Transmission replace in the future...

I think thats it for now
So guys and girls let me know what you think

Peace, Tuna
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not to be mean but do u know much about cars or engines.
reason i ask under ur future mods ur first one

i dont think we have the option for a turbo since its front wheel drive??????????????

have u never heard of a turboed integra or a dodge srt4or turboed civic or any of the other countless cars that come turboed and are front wheel drive also u continue to go o i want headers 30 hp gain why would u put headers on a car u might turbo waist of money.

first thing i think you should do before u mod a car is learn about it a lot and not just the tl i mean all engines.

if you dont know the basics sry, but u have no bussness modding your just going to waist your money and most likely break shit

now i really am not trying to be mean just pointing out what you should already know

also you way over payied for your car by like 2k

and never buy cheap ebay parts use you money wisely
The following 2 users liked this post by Sleeper3.2:
KatabaticSaint (09-26-2012), TunaTheFish (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow, you payed too much for that tl w/ that many issues

at least when i over-payed for my tl by $2500, it didn't have anything wrong w/ it, except maybe needing an alignment

like sleeper said, you need to learn your car before you mod it

once you at least know the basics, you can kind of figure out how to do certain mods (i.e. air intake or something)

welcome
The following users liked this post:
TunaTheFish (09-25-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
look at our vendors, dont go on ebay for ur shit.

majority of the time there's someone on this forum that can hook u up with something for ur car.

but sup, welcome aboard
TunaTheFish (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
DO NOT modify your car until it is paid off. From your post I can tell that you are sub-21 year old, and this seems to be your first car.

With $6,000 balance on the loan and monthly payment of $250 (rounded) you still have two years of payments. Stash your $20 for the preventative maintenance and do not play Paul Walker early on. Learn to do the basic DIY procedures like oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, brakes; buy yourself a set of good tools and read the DIY section here.

From your post it sounds like the car has issues as is; with SRS light being on, and no history of transmission service. First, do the transmission fluid change 3x3 (search for the instructions on the forum), do the oil change, and check the condition of the timing belt.

Since you are locked in for two years with your loan, preventative maintenance should be your #1 priority. You are already underwater on your car (IE, loan amount far exceeds what your car is worth), so if anything major fails you are stuck with car payment and no car.
TunaTheFish (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the club. Like the other guys said don't waste your money take your time and learn from the members, and do lots of research. When your young you want the pimped out vehicle, but first pay it off.
TunaTheFish (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys much appreciated.
Yeah I understand I should pay off first but as like for future reference mods after everything is payed off
This is not my car actually, I have a Toyota Tercel 95 with 83k miles on it and the repairs are outrageous! -__-
So I help one of my co workers finance the TL cause its her favorite and so on...

Went to the Acura Dealership and found out the Transmission was rebuilt with 33k miles

Yeah realize the ebay rotors are horrible cause what Ive been reading is that they crack easily.

Gotta replace the Pads soon too and replace it with the Hawk pads.

Any other advice and opinions? still a newbie here
Old 09-25-2012, 03:57 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Old 09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Instructor

AZsilverTL:
Thanks man
Yeah i wanna learn to do oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, brakes bymyself (with a buddy) instead paying for labor fees
Time is all I need lol the tools im set since my dad was used to be a mechanic

Sleeper:
Yeah your def right man... sorry just got excited with all these mods i wanna do but i gotta learn the foundations first
My first project was installing halos/painting the housing/new HID kit on my moms is300
took a total 6 hours(with a buddy) and it turned out pretty nice
lots lots lots of researching like you said
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Dreem1er:
Dont worry! I got you man!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
You sure you didn't buy a black with tan interior? I just traded mine in last Monday and it was being sent to an auction. Sounds like you bought the exact issues I traded in...
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I'll nudge you the way you should go after my own trials with car.
1. Intake resonator removal. It's free.
2. Change the small things convert interior lights to led change headlights to 6000k prehaps buy switch backs, 02 Tail lamps
3. Pay it off
4. Fix all problems
5. Coilovers, do not buy/cut springs you'll regret the compromise in ride quality for not much of a difference height wise.
6. Headers, xs-power headers don't exist anymore despite what you might hear, pay a little extra for quality
7. Mid muffler delete, no need for an exhaust just yet.
8. Brakes, no need for ebay visit our vendors/black market
9. Rims, and get sometime tasteful please
10. Celebrate with a blunt

Then you may want to consider the fog lights and other major body/interior modifications
After this you can consider changing to a j32a2(tls engine) making it a 6speed, and getting that exhaust its an altp btw the 1,000 dollar one and supercharing, unfortunately turbocharging isnt something thats made easy on these cars, not because its front wheel drive there are plenty of fwd turbo cars. Its because the ecu wouldnt work with a turbo really and theres about a million and one things that can go wrong and the same number of things to do it properly. Good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Also the TCS light turns the traction control on, you cant turn it off its always operating.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
where the heck are the pictures!??!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Instructor

big10purdue:
It was Gray with black interior

KatabaticSaint:
Still a newb ,intake resonator remove
and a mid muffler delete?

I like your list
Coilovers: Form @ Function TYPE 1 Coilovers are good but i heard there stiff from the rear.Tiens are good also but they wont go low as much as the F@F What do you have?

Lights: Got some LEDs coming in the way this week, and got 8k coming in to
need some new or used oem headlights cause i tried to remove the orange/amber corner lights the other day and part of it broke and later moisture got in the passenger side

TCS: I tried clicking the TCS button but theres no show/sign that it is off on the cluster

Turbo/supercharged: Yeah I know its possible to have a turbocharged in front wheel drive (Saw my old tercel turbocharged on youtube lmao) but saw most RSX have supercharges in them and most Acuras have complicated ecus thats what my friend told me
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Drifting

at the top of the site go to TL

scroll down to second gen tl click it

u will find this there

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/new-official-2nd-gen-tl-diy-thread-706083/

learn from it

ff1's are great, but IMO the rears are too soft best bang for ur buck to slam
if ur looking to buying function form type 1 or 2 PM me

i have ff1, some 2g tl owners went from teins to ff1/2 due to their slamming capabilities
Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
basically everything is said just take your time and do your home work get the car running right first then worry about modding

welcome
Old 09-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Drifting

clean up ur inbox
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Pm sent