New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy

Hey thought I would post up, just joined. I don't own a TL just yet but I am in the market for a newer car and I like the TL. Thought I would join and try to learn about them so if I do end up with one I know what to look for and maybe mod it a little. I am looking to get a 02-03 TL Type S, the regular ones don't seem to bad but I want that little extra grunt and handling. I enjoy driving so the more fun it is to drive the better for me. The car is it taking over daily driving for is my 1987 Buick Grand National, fun car but gas will kill me (not driving it right now because I am stationed in Korea at the moment, in the Air Force, and will be home in a few monthes thats when I plan to buy) it is going to be parked and turned into my race/street car for cruising and shows and stuff. Looking forward to learning some stuff from you guys, I am also looking at a few others cars too 02-03 Maxima's, maybe even an 04 if its in my price range, Bonneville SSEi, and a 04 Grand Prix GTP. I will have to drive them before I choose but looking at the specs the TL is up there, only thing that worries me is the tranny issues with the Acura. Did they do a recall on them or are they making people out of warranty pay for them? And how big of a problem is it really? Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:51 PM
3rd Gear

N00bie here too (02 TL-S w/ Navi). Tranny is covered under the recall as far as I know since my car is out of factory waranty. Mine just died last week and they're dropping in a new one. Sad part is I had only had the car for 3 days before it died. Dealership said I can return the car want and I'm still thinking about it. They've got an 01 Mercede C320 w/33k on the lot for the same price so I just might take it back.

You should be able to find an 04 low milage Maxima no problem. I almost bought an 05 w/15k for only $1000 more than what I paid for my TL-S.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

This TL transmission stuff has been discussed ad nauseam. Please use the search function with the word "transmission" for all 500 billion results on the TL's transmission problems.

The Maxima is a nice car without huge flaws like the TL's transmission, but the interior doesn't do it for me. Also, the last generation had rather mediocre crash test scores.

For Amoxi who is considering returning an 02 TL-S/Navi for an 01 C320 let me warn you that the TL's transmission problems pale in comparison to that electrical nightmare. One of my latest issues of Consumer Reports lists the 01 C320 as a car to avoid at all costs. As prevelant as the transmission problem seems in the TL, you are far, far better off than you will be in that Benz.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:25 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the more u read about the TL the LESS you want a TL. lol
Old 05-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy
the more u read about the TL the LESS you want a TL. lol
SO TRUE! ... That's why I went with ignoring all the possible problems and just bought the TL anyway... sure I spent months on research, sure I read up and interviewed other TL owners... but you know what?.. for a TL, for an awesome price, AND fully loaded... that LOOKS NICE?... your common sense goes out the back door and you'll be riding around happy for a while.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackBuick1987
The car is it taking over daily driving for is my 1987 Buick Grand National, fun car but gas will kill me
Back then, my dad has a Buick Regal Limited with a 4 barrels carb, and it was quick. However, I would still rather have the black Grand National. I saw one the other day, and I think it still looks good. Is yours in good shape?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:01 AM
3rd Gear

It's in decent shape, most people say it is in great shape but I am one of the type of car owners that obsesses over every little scratch and nick, but overall it is not too bad for being an 19 year old car with the original paint job. Here is my cardomain page.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/755296 . Since then I have added a new turbo and some other small things. When I get back from Korea is when all the real fun is going to begin, new exhaust, downpipe, alky, converter, new tune, and alot of suspension things to get all the new power to the ground. It is traction limited as is so I can only imagine after all this stuff.

And after further searching I have decided to not go with a TL, but rather a CL. I like the idea of a large coupe with decent rear room, and I figure going with a 6-speed would really be a better choice seeing as how it wont be prone to failure like the auto. Seeing as how the CL and TL are basically the same car sans 2 doors I will probably still hang out and see what you guys are up to. Later!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Advanced

It's in decent shape, most people say it is in great shape but I am one of the type of car owners that obsesses over every little scratch and nick, but overall it is not too bad for being an 19 year old car with the original paint job.
I agree with most people, I think the car's in great shape. The paint is still shiny, and the seats are clean.

Since then I have added a new turbo and some other small things.
I was a little surprises to see/hear about the turbo. I remember the Regal T/T has a turbo, but the thought the Grand National didn't.

I own the TL, so I am not trying to bash it or the CL, but they're front wheel drive, so it's no fun to drive. I'd stick to RWD.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear

Normally I would go for RWD but since I am moving to an area that gets alot of snow, and I have not driven in snow for a long time, I want something that would do ok with it. That and nothing RWD and new really excite me other than the 300C/Magnum but those are out of my price range.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Normally I would go for RWD but since I am moving to an area that gets alot of snow, and I have not driven in snow for a long time, I want something that would do ok with it. That and nothing RWD and new really excite me other than the 300C/Magnum but those are out of my price range.
Get a 99-01 Infiniti Q45t. It's rear wheel drive, has a nice powerful V-8, and is a great looking car. The traction control was amazing on my old car. It drove better than most front wheel drive cars in the snow IMO. I owned my 2000 for 3 tough winters in New England and I NEVER got stuck anywhere. If the Q were to interest you make sure you get a "t" package and stick with 1999 and up. The "t" package is kind of like the type-S package on the TL. (Better suspension, larger wheels, rear spoiler, better seats, there's more that I can't remember) Anyway...just my Good luck with your search!