<The New Guy! =-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<The New Guy! =-)

Hey Guys!
I posted in "The Official 2G TL Members Directory", but that's not intended for responces or discussion so I thought I'd post here too...

I'm new around here but I've been browsing the AZ Forum and researching for quite awhile now. I actually don't have a TL yet, but I am VERY SERIOUSLY considering purchasing a TL in the next week or two. If I wasn't so busy the next two days, I'd probably have one this weekend! Soon though...

I guess I'll be one of the new "gearheads" (expert DIYer) around here... I have always worked on my own cars, minor and MAJOR projects alike (engine rebuilds, tranny swap, general electrical, etc, etc...) and I try to contribute as much as I possibly can to whatever community I join. I totalled my last "toy" a few months ago so now I need another one. And I think A TL will be nicer and allot cheaper to mod and maintain than my last one.

I live in Southern California (Lancaster) and will probably be getting a 2002 3.2TL Type-S. Color undecided... I want a dark exterior with tan interior, but they're hard to come by... Most of what I'm finding is light colors with tan, or dark colors with the black... I'll probably have to compromise somewhere...

I am aware of the tranny issues and am keeping that in mind, when checking up on potentials. However, I'll be buying the parts to do the 6MT swap hopefully before it ever goes out (if it does). (Starting with an -S ought to make it a ton easier)

I was almost debating the TL, because I couldn't find any with an aftermarked double-din HU. I have a complete system I pulled from my other car ready to go into the TL, but wasn't sure if a double-din would fit... Believe it or not, my stereo compatibility was a HUGE factor in which car I'd get, But after some looking, I see it'll go in just fine... I am SOOOO looking forward to having my stereo back. The on in my beater sucks!!

Looking forward to having a nice "new" car again... my 88 Honda is getting kinda old... Have any recommendations/suggestions for my new purchase?

I noticed there was a guy around here somewhere from Quartz Hill... I'm right around the corner; we'll have to meet up sometime. Look forward to getting to know the rest of you too.

Cheers!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Just chillen..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, what a cool noob! lol. Welcome and of course use the search feature!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:57 PM
B A N N E D

hey great. we have a mini meet today in huntington beach

please come!!! look in the "acurazine meet" forum section or just PM me!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome! This is the place to learn all about the second generation TLs.

Try to pick a TL that is still covered by the extended warranty on the transmission. Note that some 2003 TLs are not covered. The coverage depends on the VIN number. The later-half 2003 models are not covered. (Cars with salvaged titles are also not covered.)

Don't forget to check your local craigslist.org for used TLs. That's how I found my 1999 TL.

Here's the Los Angeles edition:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Bob
Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FL3.2TL
Wow, what a cool noob! lol. Welcome and of course use the search feature!
Wow.. My 4th post and I'm already a "cool noob." Gee thanks buddy!
And I course I know how to search... I'm only a "noob" here! I'm not new to the online car communities by any means!
Originally Posted by vzuptnguyen
hey great. we have a mini meet today in huntington beach

please come!!! look in the "acurazine meet" forum section or just PM me!!!
Dude... wish I coulda made it. Unfortunately my prior commitments that kept me from hunting down my car this weekend, woulda also kept me from making the trek to the down for the meet as well... I'm sure I'll get in on some of the meets once I get my car and have a few clear weekends! I'll keep an eye on that folder.
Originally Posted by Bob_F
Welcome! This is the place to learn all about the second generation TLs.

Try to pick a TL that is still covered by the extended warranty on the transmission. Note that some 2003 TLs are not covered. The coverage depends on the VIN number. The later-half 2003 models are not covered. (Cars with salvaged titles are also not covered.)

Don't forget to check your local craigslist.org for used TLs. That's how I found my 1999 TL.

Here's the Los Angeles edition:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/

Bob
Thanks for the info. I checked out cragslist and only found ONE in all of California that would actually be the color combo I want. But go figure, it was also a little more expensive and a little more inaccessable (too far away) than the others I've found as well. I'd rather compromise my preferences and save a few grand.

I'm definately going for a 2002 Type-s... I can't justify an extra $3K or $4K more just to get one year newer, when I've found a couple '02s with fairly low miles. Of about 12 I've found within the area, 2 are well under the 100K warranty limit, and one of them is over it but has a brand new trans installed by Acura. All 3 are advertised as clean and well maintained, so I'm hoping they are as good as they look/sound when I drive down to check them out. I should be able to find at least one good one out of all the ones I've found.

Color is only a preference... seeing I'm buying used, I can afford to compromise on that a little bit. Besides I'll probably do a little "tweaking" and customizing along the way. I'm really dying to get a new car, so I may just have to run down and test drive a few this week if I can. Who needs to work anyway... they can wait!

I'll usually be lurking from work but unfortunately I cannot log-on there, so although I'll be quite active, I wouldn't expect my post count to go up very fast. I just have to make up for it, with the size of my posts.

Holy $#!%! It's almost bedtime... can't believe I've been on here over an hour already. Thanks for the comments guys! I catch ya later.

Peace!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Welcome get the Noble Green if there is one around, sexiest color ever made
Old 01-07-2007, 01:14 AM
TL.....mmmmmm

Good luck man hope you get what you want and deserve =)
Old 01-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Advanced

well I'm going to LA to check out two cars today. One only has 50K miles on it, but found out it has a salvage title. They guy that has it owns a body shop and replaced a door. The plus is, the paint and body are nearly perfect, but the salvage title has me cringing... trans warranty isn't honored on salvaged car is it?

Bank is closed so I couldn't get their money, even if I wanted to, so today is only to look.
Only reason, I'm bothering with that one, is because there is another one I'm looking that is nearby and good shape. was mechanic owned and maintained... BRAND New trans by acura last year (still under waranty), fully loaded...

Still a few more I might look at, but won't be able to do it during the week (without taking leave). We'll see...

Gotta run... Check out some cars!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:59 PM
03' NBP TL-S

You've come to the right place. This is the best forum to learn everything about TL's. Welcome.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
welcome! you should get the EBP Type-S ala Canadia
Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
they go wooooot wooooot

WDP ftw!!! hehe
Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bambo2888
WDP ftw!!! hehe
huh?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
akaYUNG LEE but im Chico

Originally Posted by CL Platano
Welcome get the Noble Green if there is one around, sexiest color ever made
Only dominican people buy the Green Color Tl's since it Reps the green plantain. Thank you, love always,

Mario Aka Sandunga
Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Well, I checked out and test drove 3 cars today (all 2002). They all drove and handled well. First time for me to actually drive a TL... I fell in love even more!!

First one was a white/tan Type-S owned and maintained by a mechanic. I could tell he took very good care of it, but being a "city car" had a couple minor blemishes... Nothing major, but worth pointing out... It had a new transmission, as well as Navi, but the deal-breaker for me was that it was still registered and insured in Florida (private party), so I'd have to go through the trouble to transfer the title and licence it myself.

The second wasn't anything too impressive. It was a Green/tan Type-S. I never really did like green on a car all that much, but I was impressed with how nice the color looked in person. The owner was difficult to understand over the phone (heavy oriental accent), so what I didn't know was that the car had a salvage title. He showed me where it was fixed, but the paint had several noticeable blemishes on the car and it didn't have navi... Mileage was low (60K) as well as the price, $10K but the car could have been in much better condition. Salvage title or not, I wanted one that was clean and didn't need anything. Wasn't too impressed. The previous car was in better shape...

The third one was absolutely beautiful!! It was an Aegean Blue Pearl (Black interior) Type-S. It only had 50K miles. It also had a salvage title, but the owner owns a body shop and had pictures of the damge. Believe it or not the only damage was to the driver door ,so it was replaced and painted. That's it!!
You wouldn't even be able to tell unless he told you!! Everything else on/in the car was immaculate! Seats looked liked the were never even used. Still tight with no wear, clean all around and everything worked. Had OE Chrome wheels, spoiler, and Navi. It was privately owned, but the owner is also a dealer to handle all the paperwork and told me he could let me have it for $12K out the door (that includes tax and title). He also offered an additional 3 month warranty no charge... but I have to verify the warranty on the transmission with Acura. (I got the VIN to check it out).

Not my 1st choice of interrior, but I actually liked the way it looked with black, and the Aegean Blue Pearl is definately my color of choice...

I just want to check that Acura will still warranty the transmission (just in case), and that my credit union will finance a car with a salvage title. The seller told me that Acura offered to check out the transmission for him when he was there for parts, but it wasn't a good time, and now he's selling it. Apparently they never even knew it had a salvage title... Don't ask, don't tell?!? The car looks beautiful enough, you'd never even guess it was "technically" salvaged... Do you think it'll be a problem? Car was immaculate in every other aspect...

Think it's worth checking out or should I run as fast as I can?
What do you guys think?

Other two cars are duds... if I don't get this one I'll have to go check out a couple others...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Advanced

Just registered the car on Acura Owner link and here's what I got:

VIN: ******************
Trim: 3.2 Type S with Navigation 5 Speed Automatic
Ext. Color: Aegean Blue Pearl
Int. Color: Ebony
Radio Code: Not Provided [ Add Radio Code ]
Benefits of entering your Radio Code

Year Purchased: Intend to Purchase
Order NAVI DVD

Navigation Code: Not Provided

Your 2002 Acura is included in the 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL Campaign.
To view the press release regarding this recall, click here

Your 2002 Acura is included in the 2000-03 TRANS WARRANTY EXT Campaign.

Description 00-04 CL & TL A/T RECALL
Date 6/29/2004
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status Fixed

Description 2000-03 TRANS WARRANTY EXT
Date 9/27/2002
Type Warranty Extension Campaign
Status Open

Looks like I should be safe either way, huh?
Since I plan to do the 6-speed manual swap anyway, should I be worried?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Well... As it turns out, my credit union won't finance a car with a salvage title,
so I guess that solves that dilemma doesn't it?!?

Well, I'm checking out one local tomorrow... it has 106K on it, but has a new trans and supposedly was maintained very well.
Owner has all receipts at least. All other cars I've found are actually right around 100K or more, so it's going to be tough finding
one under warranty unless the trans was actually replaced in the last year...

Guess I'll need to start setting aside money/parts for that 6-speed.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Keep looking. don't be in a rush. There are plenty of them out there. Look around. Dont settle for what you really dont want.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Keep looking. don't be in a rush. There are plenty of them out there. Look around. Dont settle for what you really dont want.
Oh, I am... I've been looking for a new car off and on for over a year, and more seriously since September when I totalled my last car... What's another few weeks, or even a MONTH??! I've waited this long, and they're only gonna get cheaper! I now have another dealer looking for them as well... I even have a friend that's an auto broker I might get on on he chase too...

After seeing one with black interior that was REALLY clean, I'm not concerned about what color the interior is anymore... Both look SHARP!! So I'm actually not all that picky on color combos as long as the car and interior looks VERY CLEAN. Minimal blemishes, looks sharp, has navi, and basic add-ons are a plus (tint, wheels, spoiler, etc.). I think I want Blue, Black, or Silver (in that order)...

Seeing how I'm busy this weekend too (business), I may have to wait until the following weekend, to look at any more (unless this local one really impresses me). My loan pre-approval is good for 90 days, so I got time...

I'll keep ya updated on my progress....
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TL Sport
....The third one was absolutely beautiful!! It was an Aegean Blue Pearl (Black interior) Type-S. It only had 50K miles. It also had a salvage title, but the owner owns a body shop and had pictures of the damge. Believe it or not the only damage was to the driver door ,so it was replaced and painted. That's it!!....
To me, it just doesn't ring true that the car only had damage to the driver door. How could such limited damage result in a salvaged title? Did he provide any more details why it had a salvaged title?

Best of luck with your ongoing search. As mentioned above, take your time.

Bob
Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
As previously mentioned with a Salvage title you will not be covered under the extended transmission warranty. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find one that is solid.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys... I'm taking my time and looking some more.

The Dealer/body shop had pics of all the cars they fixed. The car I recently totalled only had body damage to one door but was still slavaged over a technicality, so I'm kinda know how it works.

Regardless, "As previously mentioned" my Credit Union won't even finance a car with a Salvage title, so there is 0% chance of me getting one. Gotta find one with clean title. Private or dealer...

Was looking online some more, and just found another 2002 TL-S that was posted by a dealer today. It's the same color blue (ABP) with black interrior, about 61K, but no navi (which I could care less, I can add it to my DVD HU for only $500 bucks). It's not certified, but is located at a "local" Honda dealer about 45 minutes away.

They offered a free carfax report and it checks out pretty good. It was a leased car for the first 2 1/2 years, so you know they had to maintain it well. They put 28K miles on it. It was then offered for sale as a certified used car and the owners put about another 34K on it. Then it was sold at auction to the current dealer (transferred to CA fron NJ) were it currently resides. Asking price is currently just under $14K (marked down from $15k), so maybe I could barter down just a tad more and get it for $13.5K or $14K OTD? (based on a succesful review and test drive of course). I might see if my broker/friend can get it at dealer wholesale or something... otherwise I'll only be able to go down Thursday.
Most promising one at the moment, but I'm still looking.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (especially you other guys from California), but most of the 2002 TL Type-S' I'm finding are over or almost out of warranty (or salvaged) if under $13K. Most clean title ones are $13k+ private party or $16-$18k at dealers. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm finding very few (like the one I mentioned) that look nice, have clean title, and are still under warranty.
I'm not getting impatient just yet, but if a good deal comes along, I think I should probably snatch it up while I can... whatcha think?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Drifting

welcome! and good luck in your search
Old 01-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Advanced

I GOT MY CAR!! (well... almost).
I have the Title in hand, but have to work with my bank & DMV to have ownership transferred and then go back to pay the balance and pick it up.

I got an ABP 2002 3.2TL Type-S. I got it for $10,500!! (plus tax & reg)
Clean title, no accidents, warranty/recall work already done & I'll be the 3rd owner.
Has a few little scuffs and scratches... but nothing real major.
Most of them should buff out, and should look fine with a good wax.
Car is bone stock for now. (but won't be for long...)

It only has about 6K left on the recall warranty, but since I saved myself 3-5 grand on this one,
I plan to put that money towards the 6-speed.

I guess there's no point for pics...
you all know what a stock ABP 2002 TL-S looks like.
Now I can really start putting in my and feel like a "real" member.

Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait, Can't wait......