New to the club!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the club!

Hey all, just got myself a 99 yesterday, and after driving it for a short time I can honestly say that I love it. I came from an 89 Prelude, so this is quite a difference for me. The VTEC is awesome, and it really hauls ass. Hoping to get tint and possibly rims/intake soon.

Anyway, I do have a couple of questions...

First of all, where can I find cheap OEM parts? I know the Black Market may be useful, but I just need a couple of small things, because with 107k on the car, its missing a few things. And while we're on that subject... Where do most shop for aftermarket stuff? What sites have pretty much everything for our cars?

Second, I have a Pioneer DEH-4500MP deck from my lude. I was considering putting it in the TL, but after hearing the stock system, I like it. But... I can't play burned cds! Whats with that? Are there any that work? And also, would I run into any problems installing it? Would I need anything additional to make it work with the stock system?

Last, what are the best first upgrades to do? Cheap/free things, and performance wise. Just curious as to what others have done. I don't have a ton of money right now after buying the car, but I was going to get a couple things out of the way now that I have a car that I actually want to put money into.

Thanks, I appreciate any help. I realize there is a search, but they seem to filter out too much, and don't seem to be very helpful. If it was like Google, I'd never make a post here heh.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Fallen

For free mod, you can remove resonator which would give you improved sound

also, you can black out and clear your head lights which would get you more aggressive looks, and for around $40, you can get nice exhaust tips for better looks.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:58 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

congrats and enjoy
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RevinV12s
For free mod, you can remove resonator which would give you improved sound

also, you can black out and clear your head lights which would get you more aggressive looks, and for around $40, you can get nice exhaust tips for better looks.

The resonator sounds like a good idea, I just need some sound haha. And I was thinkin about blacking out the tails, but can you use TL-S tails on a 99? (sorry if its a noob question).
Old 07-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first of all i cant play burned cds im my 99TLp etheir duno y so thats y i just got an aftermarket HU and second yes u can put tl-s lights on your car makes it look alot better
Old 07-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Advanced

i bought a can of tail light tint for $8.99 and i think that looks good on my black tl
Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
TLingggggggg

The thing with the burnt cd's not reading what you can do is try burning with better quality CD-R's (Taiyo Yuden Brand) and burning it at a slower speed and Voilaaaahhh it works pretty decent on the Cd player.....yeah what you can add is the 02-03 tailights which I really want also and maybe some 17 inch rims and a spoiler and dont forget to change the cupholders into the newer 02-03 cupholders which is like the cheapest mod at around 12 bux, which holds your drinks better then that wobbly 99-00 or 01 ones.....you can also do tints which is like around 150...
Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 AM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

debadge. costs like 6 bucks. remove your exhaust resonators (both of them 30-60 bucks at a shop. free from a friend). flip your liscense plate around so its below your bumper.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Open Bar Dude

02-03 tail lights is a great mod that I did. I just have to burn my cd's at the highest possible quality setting (slowest) for them to play in my 99...after that, no issues
Old 07-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Cool, there are definately some good ideas in here, and hopefully in the next week I can get a few of these things done. Minor things that most people wouldn't notice, or care to notice, but definately an improvement for myself heh

Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Hi and welcome

You can find parts at this website:
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp

If you wish to do few mods by urself you can find good info on this website ( This is also acura forum like this one):

http://www.acurainspired.com/forums/index.php?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Racer

Chrome Shift Plate
Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced

I do have another question...

Why do a lot of aftermarket parts say they only work for 2001+ models? I realize things are different for the '99 (after taking out the resonator last night), but can they be THAT much different? What are the only things I really can't use?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Racer

Welcome aboard mate.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Az User

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,721 Posts
welcome
Old 07-06-2006, 04:56 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok, I can give you some good info since i been a loyal member on this forum. Since ur new to the forum and the TL car itself, there are some cheap mods you can do for now until you tackle the major things. I know some members have already mentioned some of these mods you can do but ill make sure i cover most of them anyways.

Cheap Things/Small Mods

1.Remove your intake resanator. It will give you a better sound thats more agressive sounding until you actually get a cold air intake. You can find the Do it yourself guide on www.abunchofcars.com

2. Debadge your trunk. Get some goo gone and some floss or fishing line. Let your car sit in the sun for a lil while so the adhesive behind the Acura Lettering and Symbol as well as the 3.2 badge heat up and become soft. Then just slide some floss or fishing line behind them to remove them from the trunk. Then take some goo gone and let it soak into the adhesive and wipe it away. You might wana come through with some wax or polish to remove any residue afterwards or any kind of light shadow of where the badges were. Its gona give you a nice clean appearance.

3. Chrome Shift Plate. If you have the 99 Model TL, your in luck. When acura manufactured the 99 TL, they made all the shift plates chrome. They then decided the chrome might reflect the sun into the drivers eyes so they revamped it and had them all painted over with silver paint. You'll notice your shift plate right now is painted silver. Simply get some Grafitti remover. Remove the shift plate from the car, you can find out how by searching through the forum. Spray the Grafitti Remover all over the entire shift plate and let it sit. then get a plastic credit card or similar to that and start scraping away all the silver paint which will then reveal the original chrome beneath. Adds a much more sharper and classyer appearence to the inside of the car.

4. Paint your Engine Cover. Remove your engine cover from the engine. Lightly sand the entire engine cover and battery cover if you choose to, just enough so that the covers are scuffed up. Make sure you wash the covers before sanding and wash again after sanding. Dry as well after each wash. Get a can of sandable primer from a company called Dupli Color. It can be found at pep boys and some other places i believe. Prime the entire cover lightly. Dry, Then do a second coat. Let that dry and then Get a can of High Temperature Paint or any other type of spray paint and spray a couple thin and light coats of the color paint you chose. If you get a high temp paint, Dupli color makes high temp paints which are great but there are some other brands as well. If you wana go into further detail with the painting of the engine cover, wet sand after you prime the covers.

5. Mesh Grill. You can take your stock grill out and take it apart. Bunch of screws on the back side of the grill you take out once the grill is off the car itself. Go to Lowes and get some Gutter Guard Aluminum Mesh. Do a search on Mesh Grill and you probably find the thread from when i did mine with some pics if the pics are still there. Your gona have to take the mesh which comes in regular aluminum silver color and cut out the shap of the grill. Its a little more complicated when ur doing it but do a search on that mod and you'll figure out exactly how to do it. I did it to mine and you can see my grill which is my Main pic under my member name. Its a cheap mod, mesh costs like 2.50 a sheet. Get two sheets, one for practice or rough draft. But if done right the end result is nice. You can finish it off by painting it black or whatever you want.

6. Get some nice chrome exhaust tips if you want to improve the look of the back end.

7. Change your intierior lights to LED bulbs which is not super cheap but around $50 max for all your bulbs. That would include the trunk light and license plate light.

8. As far as performance goes, there isnt really any mod thats super cheap. The cheapest mod in that department would most likely be the Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Crank Pulley which is $175 shipped from the vendor Excelerate on this forum and will cost ya about 60-100 bucks for the install of it. Its gona give you more bang for your buck i think. Add like 8-10hp and more torque. Your also gona have to change the belts which is about 30 bucks since the new pulley is smaller and ligher. Do a search for Unorthodox Racing Ultra S Crank Pulley and you'll find the Write up i did on that mod when i had it put in.

9. Paint your Brake Calipers. Get some Dupli Color High Temp paint, must use high temp paint for ur calipers, nothing less. It can be another brand but make sure its High Temp paint. Clean your calipers with some soap and water and take a wire brush and scrub your calipers up with it. the wire brush will remove heavy grime and brake dust build up. Rinse it down after with some more soap and water and let them dry. Then just lightly sand the calipers up with some sand paper and clean them off again. Dry and then get to painting. Do two thing coats. Not one big heavy one. This will add a nice look behind the rim.

And if you wana buy some performance parts, you can buy them from EXCELERATE which is a vendor on this forum. Ive bought several things from him. Great service and best prices. Quick Shipping too. You can pay him with Pay Pal or Money order.

Well, Hope all this helps. Thats about everything really cheap i can think of. Lata
Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Great write up!

Now I'll have to get to cleaning my shift plate and debadging my trunk (at least of the 3.2LT Type-S badges).

Also, can't you flip the front license bracket to have the plate hang below the bumper? I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by rascalion
Great write up!

Now I'll have to get to cleaning my shift plate and debadging my trunk (at least of the 3.2LT Type-S badges).

Also, can't you flip the front license bracket to have the plate hang below the bumper? I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend.
Whoa - if you have a Type S (2002-2003) then you cannot chrome out your stock shifter plate. That chrome underpaint was only on the 1999's. You'd have to buy one of those shifter plates.

Doing that to a Type S will ruin the shift plate.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fla-tls
Whoa - if you have a Type S (2002-2003) then you cannot chrome out your stock shifter plate. That chrome underpaint was only on the 1999's. You'd have to buy one of those shifter plates.

Doing that to a Type S will ruin the shift plate.
YES, ONLY THE 1999 TL HAS A CHROME FINISH UNDERNEATH THE SILVER PAINT. YOU CANNOT DO THE CHROME SHIFT PLATE MOD TO ANY OTHER YEAR TL. ONLY THE 1999 MODELS. If you had a 2000 and up, you have to buy the shift plate that is chrome but then again i believe the other models have a D5 as well which is an aditional hole compared to the 99TL's plate. If yours is only 4 speed then u can buy the 99's shift plate and do the mod and put it in yours.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced

Excellent, thanks dvs! Great writeup, a few of those things were some things that I was definately considering, as I would love to do a few cheap/easy things just to improve the look of the car. Yesterday I took off the sunroof visor, mudflaps and intake resonator, and just got 5% tint today. Totally changes the look of the car. I think right now I'm gonna go to Checkers and get some exhaust tips, as I don't feel like ordering any, I'd rather get em now heh.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by FliedLice

Second, I have a Pioneer DEH-4500MP deck from my lude. I was considering putting it in the TL, but after hearing the stock system, I like it. But... I can't play burned cds! Whats with that? Are there any that work? And also, would I run into any problems installing it? Would I need anything additional to make it work with the stock system?
Too many coasters cds. I opted for aux adapter to the back of teh hu (headunit) and connected it to my ipod. Now i get 700 songs instead of mere <20.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
3.2TL

Im Sorta a noob like this guy, I still smell brand new and I could use this stuff besided from the thing I just did on dvsxlt247's list. I just searched for that Shift plate and I did it. 1 word...COTDAMN!! It is straight up Blingin son, and I love it, it was so easy. It was funny cause like the paint came off like a snakes skin, so I took it off in one piece and the Chrome was revealed, its a Beauty I tells ya.

-Dan
Old 07-19-2006, 05:01 PM
3.2TL

Took off the Resonator last night and tried it out today, Sounds Super Nice, so is this Technically supposed to get more air in the Car or even colder air?