New Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Brake Pads?

Looking to improve the stopping distance on my 03 TL-S by just replacing the OE pads with some aftermarket variety. First of all, is this realistic, or do I really need to replace rotors as well to make any appreciable difference? I know that EBC Greenstuff pads are often recommended, but I've read in a number of places where they leave a lot of dust and tend to squeak. I would not be happy with the squeaking as my brakes are now silent. I guess what I'm wondering is if there is another pad that would perform like the OE (quiet, clean, etc.) but stop somewhat better. I'm a retard when it comes to most things automotive, so I'm relying on you guys...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:55 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Using after market pads does not mean you need to change your rotors. In order to get the most out of your brakes and you seem to want better braking, you should get both the pads and rotors changed. As for EBC, I have had them on for quite sometime.
1) no they do not leave a lot of dust - actually a lot less then stock ones.
2) squeaking - this may happen for the first 100-500 miles, perhaps more depending on your driving habits. This is just during the breakin period. (again this is different for different folks).
I have had mine on for about 20,000 miles and they are great. At first I set-up my TL with just pads - about 1 month later added rotora's slotted rotors and have seen a difference... Both the pads and rotors are a great combination.

The reason to change both - the OEM rotors tend to warp - many have complained about this. Aftermarket ones - slotted - seem to hold up a lot better under hard braking. Good Luck.....
Old 01-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
no matter what you do you wont really improve the braking distance.

as for the green stuff, they produce teh least amout of dust of all the high end brake pads, and mine never squeeked
Old 01-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Racer

Thank you both for your responses. So if changing rotors and pads to aftermarket varieties won't markedly improve stopping distance, what does improve? Braking feel? Are people moving away from the OEMs simply because of warpage?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:29 PM
2003 SSM TLS

What upgrading your brakes does do is make the brakes much more durable when it comes to repeated hard stops. The key is the performance pads and rotors are designed to operate and handle higher temps that come with repeated hard braking. If you ever had your brakes 'fade' because they get overheated than you will benefit from changing to some slotted rotors.

Use caution when upgrading to high performance pads with aggressive compounds without upgrading your rotors. They tend to chew up stock rotors fairly quickly.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Aftermarket pads and rotors add the "feel", makes it like the braking distance has improved.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Racer

I see what you're saying. What is it then that makes one car have a very short stopping distance (say, for example, a BMW), and another car considerably longer (like our cars) if switching to better (high performance) pads and rotors isn't the answer? What would be required to get the better performance from our cars? Again, I plead guilty to the charge of ignorance when it comes to automotive issues.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Does changing to aftermarket rotors actually make a big difference? Will it actually be cost beneficial since the stock ones tend to warp alot?
Old 01-05-2005, 02:33 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Switching pads and rotors do add very little to your stopping distance if you are not upsizing your rotors. By using something like the big brake kit, upsizing rotors, pads and lines, you will get increased stopping distance. The benefit just aftermarket ones, gives you slight increase and much better feel and wear, which seems to last a bit longer than the OEM ones. Just like a new pair of shoes, you feel the difference and lasts longer, but is it the shoes or is it you? A bit of both.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I tend to disagree with you guys, properly bedding in performance rotors and pads will guarantee you a better bite than stock. My braking definitely improved, especially in wet weather.

If you want the feel, change your lines to stainless steel.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

I would like to see a test, one with OEM vs. Aftermarket pads and rotors and see the difference. I agree with you TeknoKing on the lines being changed to stainless steel. Definately a difference in stopping distance.

On my Camaro, back in the day I had shown a difference of 30 feet, that is with changing the lines, pads and rotors....