new '99 TL owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2001, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up new '99 TL owner

Hi all. I bought a '99 TL yesterday and would like anyone's opinion on where I should start on modifications... The brakes are already squealing (I'm on my way back to the dealer), but they seam pretty squishy. Anyone have aftermarket brakes... Any advice is well appreciated.

This car is sweet.
Old 05-05-2001, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs up

Yeah...if you've got the cash... I think brembo makes some for acura..i dunno.. but if so, those are some awesome things...also look around this site...shouldn't be too hard to find.... time + patience = a WAY BETTER car than what you started with!!! And we can't go wrong with that
Old 05-05-2001, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

It's friggen beautiful day outside and I'm sitting in the office looking how to spend more cash on my new ride. I'm here in the first place cause I took yesterday off to cruise around. From reading the site, looks like the sparks plugs are the easist/cheapest first upgrade.

ADMISSION: I know Jack about cars.

What is I/H/E and how do I know if I have it? I want to know which plugs to buy. I'm fairly certain that I can't put them in myself. Is it that difficult?
Old 05-05-2001, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

I/H/E stands for Intake/Headers/Exhaust, you have it alright. but what you probably don't have is the aftermarket ones. You can put in the spark plugs yourself, but you will need the plug pulley tool, whatever it's called.

You can check the brakes on this site by click on the left where it says Parts. This is the only place where I would get them from, if I had money to spend on brakes or anything else for that matter.

At least you know how to drive the car, can't say that for alot of folks here in New Jersey.

Oh welcome to the site! and congrats on your new car!

Joey
------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navigation
NightHawk Black Pearl Exterior, Ebony Leather.

Sunroof Visor, Mudguards, 35% Metallic Tint All Around, Acura Burlwood Shiftknob, Alpine CHM-S620 6-Disc CD-Changer, New Nighthawk Black Pearl Paint
In da works...
Video in my Navi Kit, Playstation 2, JL Audio 12" W6 Subwoofer, Audiobahn A1800E Amplifier

Moderator of Acura-TL.Com Forums

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by bdimc2001 on May 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-05-2001, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the answers... I sent in an order for the plugs. Screw this office stuff - I'm opening the sunroof and hitting the highway. Any other TL owners in the Minneapolis area? This site rocks. Hard to find a group of people that can talk to each other in a civil manner and take the time to answer 'stupid' questions. I'm looking forward to learning about what my car can do with a little help. Later, Andy
Old 05-05-2001, 02:50 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and welcome to the family.
You can find a lot of answers to your questions just by doing a search for it.
Happy modding!

------------------
Old 05-05-2001, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

To fix squishy brakes is a two-tiered approach. First, you can replace the pads with firmer aftermarket pads, but be advised you'll possibly experience squealing and more brake dust. Second, and here's where most of the squishiness comes in, is to re-do your brake lines. Stock lines are flexible and stretchy to mask the operation of the ABS and also to save money. Aftermarket stainless steel lines will do the trick, but are not a shade-tree mechanic's job. You'll want to have this done by a reputable professional.

Headers, by the way, replace the stock exhaust manifolds. If you're interested to know why they're better I'll explain, but it's kind of complicated. They're a great mod, and I wish I could be less of a cheapskate and buy some!

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 05-05-2001, 05:41 PM
Pro

Congrats Java,

I have a 99 and love it, bad ass car.

My brakes squeal as well, but they are responsive. the squealing is simply an issue of annoyance, and i'm getting it fixed next week. Its not squishy or anything.

I spoke at length with a service guy from my dealership. He told me that a common problem with the Gen 2 TL oem brakes is that they squeal. He says that is just how it is. I'm gonna make him change 'em anyways, but from what he implied it might squeal again later in future.

Anyways, I love big brakes, but getting a brembo upgrade kit like brake lines, maybe new rotor, etc. is so $$.

According to Comptech catalog, simply changing the brake pads for can make a huge difference. I've heard good stuff about Axxis Metalmaster. Even tho your brakes may be squishy, don't assume that thats how all 99's are. Mine isn't, i do want bigger brakes though because it is a safety issue.

Good lucky with your new Pimpin ride!

Originally posted by java_coder:
Hi all. I bought a '99 TL yesterday and would like anyone's opinion on where I should start on modifications... The brakes are already squealing (I'm on my way back to the dealer), but they seam pretty squishy. Anyone have aftermarket brakes... Any advice is well appreciated.

This car is sweet.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint