neone that has denso iridium installed on a tl......

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 04:27 AM
j83
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question neone that has denso iridium installed on a tl......

sorry must of missed a post or something but, this guys says its great(but the dood owns a cl not a tl), and another says that it does nothing, the other says he has it but not installed. so if you have it hooked up, how is it? was it worth $85-90, do you feel anything? sorry if i sound rude, i need some modifying to do....... thanx for any info i know what the whole set up of the iridium thing is made of and what it does but... well you get the point
Old 04-23-2001, 03:04 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I seen a dyno with about 3HP gain. Of course it doesn't mean it was from the Iridium spark plugs, it could have just been from changing the old spark plugs to new ones.

Check out their site.....decide for yourself www.iridiumsparkplugs.com

I just bought the halo spark plugs.(www.haloplugs.com) They are only $5.95 a piece rather than $14.00 a piece. They claim horespower, but no prove. The do claim better MPG, which would make the sparkplus pay for themselves after 2-3 months.

I haven't install them yet, but hopefully they will perform as expected. I will post my comments after I install them. This will be around wednesday or thursday.

Originally posted by j83:
sorry must of missed a post or something but, this guys says its great(but the dood owns a cl not a tl), and another says that it does nothing, the other says he has it but not installed. so if you have it hooked up, how is it? was it worth $85-90, do you feel anything? sorry if i sound rude, i need some modifying to do....... thanx for any info i know what the whole set up of the iridium thing is made of and what it does but... well you get the point
Old 04-23-2001, 05:59 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Originally posted by Bitium:
I seen a dyno with about 3HP gain. Of course it doesn't mean it was from the Iridium spark plugs, it could have just been from changing the old spark plugs to new ones.

Check out their site.....decide for yourself www.iridiumsparkplugs.com

I just bought the halo spark plugs.(www.haloplugs.com) They are only $5.95 a piece rather than $14.00 a piece. They claim horespower, but no prove. The do claim better MPG, which would make the sparkplus pay for themselves after 2-3 months.

I haven't install them yet, but hopefully they will perform as expected. I will post my comments after I install them. This will be around wednesday or thursday.
Get your plugs dyno'd before and after you install them! That way the other members on the board will know if they are worth it or not. Help out your fellow TL'ers!!!

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 171HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (3HP & 7ft/lbs torque increase in peak power)
- Jet-Hot coated CompTech Headers
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 6.9 sec (G-Tech) [with i/h/p]
Old 04-25-2001, 09:34 AM
Instructor

BNut,

that is not a very effective way of showing power because dyno varies from run to run. You could gain that 3HP just by making another run and making no changes to the engine at all.

Now if you get something like a 20HP increase.. then that might be a different story... but for something as low as a 5HP gain.. that can be achieved just by doing multiple runs with same mods..... plus you have to make sure the engine is at the same temp as before, oil temps same.,. etc etc.. to get correct comparison results....
Old 04-25-2001, 09:45 AM
Racer

personally if you are only getting 3 hp gain from them i say big flippin deal! i mean really out of a 225 hp engine 3 HP aint worth bragging about. you couldent feel 3 hp even if you tried. and about the dyno thing if you have to get all that picky about keeping the 2 dyno runs exactly the same just to prove a 3 hp gain seems like a big waste of effort.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony

Old 04-25-2001, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Plugs schmugs. It's all in the driver. 3 HP is nothing. Eat a fat dinner and that 3 HP difference is gone.

------------------
Old 04-25-2001, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by magnetic1:
BNut,

that is not a very effective way of showing power because dyno varies from run to run. You could gain that 3HP just by making another run and making no changes to the engine at all.

Now if you get something like a 20HP increase.. then that might be a different story... but for something as low as a 5HP gain.. that can be achieved just by doing multiple runs with same mods..... plus you have to make sure the engine is at the same temp as before, oil temps same.,. etc etc.. to get correct comparison results....
Silly rabbit, I did a total of S-I-X dyno runs, 3 before and 3 after the plugs were isntalled... I took the best reading from before and after the plugs were installed to determine my gains... also, peak hp is NOT important, I gained 7ft/lbs of torque and b/w 5-6hp through most of the rev range.

Thank you drive though please...

Oh yea, I have also beat my previous best 1/4 mile time in 30 degree warmer weather, but that's not a good way of showing an increase in power either... some of you people crack me up... I spend an extra $60 to dyno my plugs just so people like you can rag on me and tell me how it don't mean shia.

Old 04-25-2001, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Hey BNut, I don't know about the other guys but I do appreciate your informative post. With improvements like that I think it's worth a try. And I'd like to add, 7 ft lbs of torque is a big deal! Don't let the other guys get to you. Lot of critical people nowadays!
Old 04-25-2001, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Bnut, I never knew the answer to this, did you do a dyno with some new factory plugs then with some denso plugs, or did you just use your old plugs then do a dyno with new plugs? If it's the latter, how old were your stock plugs?
Old 04-25-2001, 06:59 PM
j83
Pro

ok so im getting some people sayin not worth it and some saying its worth it, so far from all this 3-7 hp and couple extra torque, makes a difference, i can buy something for like 500 dollars and what 2 or 3 hp difference and etc but this 80(still alot but)dollars and that throughout rpm range sound good to me. "gotta go out explore different shiznits otherwise be stuck wid a stock tl", thanks so far neone else wid some ideas of this spark plug? i seen some ppl sayin they just bought them, but yet noone installed it in a tl or nething?!
Old 04-25-2001, 07:38 PM
Pro

Exclamation

Originally posted by BNut:

Bnut, lay the smack down.

Guys, I'd believe Bnut if 1000 ppl told me otherwise. This guy know's whats up.

Anyways, whether or not its just gains from old plugs to new plugs, you're gonna get that gain too! I mean, no one ALWAYS has new plugs in their car for crying out loud, and I'm sure Bnut's 2000 Accord didn't have some 150k miles on it

Which means my 1999 TL will most likely see MORE gains than what Bnut has dyno'd.

------------------
Kenny
3.2 TL

Old 04-25-2001, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Forget about spark plugs... I mean, c'mon, they are just spark plugs! Spend your $80 on some nice indiglo gauges!
Old 04-25-2001, 09:27 PM
slickTL17

Originally posted by Nate:
Forget about spark plugs... I mean, c'mon, they are just spark plugs! Spend your $80 on some nice indiglo gauges!
Nate is is a business man too.
How many people do you have so far?
Old 04-25-2001, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by 1999TL:
Hey Bnut, I never knew the answer to this, did you do a dyno with some new factory plugs then with some denso plugs, or did you just use your old plugs then do a dyno with new plugs? If it's the latter, how old were your stock plugs?
My "before" dyno's were done with the stock NGK platinum plugs that had 33k miles on them. I had two different mechanics look at the plugs and both of them said the stock plugs were in good shape. I also bought a gap checking tool and the stock gaps were within the factory specs of .038 to .043 (if my memory serves me correctly)

Old 04-25-2001, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by sutlTL:
Hey BNut, I don't know about the other guys but I do appreciate your informative post. With improvements like that I think it's worth a try. And I'd like to add, 7 ft lbs of torque is a big deal! Don't let the other guys get to you. Lot of critical people nowadays!
Thanks for the encouragement. Its gets frustrating sometimes and I have to vent a little bit.

At least I know you and Kenny got my back.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:00 PM
j83
Pro

hey bnut so do you recomment the denso spark plugs?
Old 04-25-2001, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by preludeshfan:
personally if you are only getting 3 hp gain from them i say big flippin deal! i mean really out of a 225 hp engine 3 HP aint worth bragging about. you couldent feel 3 hp even if you tried. and about the dyno thing if you have to get all that picky about keeping the 2 dyno runs exactly the same just to prove a 3 hp gain seems like a big waste of effort.
Read the other message I just posted... I guess 7ft/lbs of torque is not big deal either.... 5-6hp through 3,000rpms of your rev range range is a big deal if you ask me, but it seems like unless I got a 20hp spike at my peak for 100rpms of my rev range you wouldn't really care.