Need: Transmission Shop in San Mateo area

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need: Transmission Shop in San Mateo area

Hey all,

Tranny #2 died at 104,000 miles...

Acura's not willing to bend a bit to fix/discount a bit under warrenty...
so I'm lookin at $3500 for tranny #3 replacement...

which sucks ass...

So... wondering if anyone in San Mateo county could otherwise recommend another transmission shop for me to better spend $3500. I'm hoping to have #3 reinforced since the rest of the car is still running strong.

Please advise. Much thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Racer

its so messed up what these bastard at acura do to us. sell a a car with a half ass transmission and then say go screw.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
I feel your pain. Try to speak to acura customer service nicely and see if they can do 50/50 for you. expect the worse outcome so you don't get aggravated with the result. It is your best bet to have it repaired at dealer if they give you discount. As some have said the updated part may have fixed the problem. We got one of the top two most expensive repairs in a car; the engine and the transmission. while other cars may have many problems, but they may not add up to just one repair of our car. Good luck. I hope acura do give in on this issue.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Was this just the local dealer saying no, or did you try Acura of America? Was the dealer the same one that did the prior replacement?

If you have a good relationship (lol) with the dealership, a chat with the General Manager/Owner could result in an in-house labor rate or some type of arangement. Always worth asking !
Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Your garage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hm...mine was replaced at 118k (good-willed) for about 200 bucks. My dealership is absolutely amazing, love all the people there. Service is cheap and FAST and everyone is super-friendly.

Sounds like you guys found asshole dealers..
Old 10-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Looks like you are in the Bay Area. What dealer was this?
I only have experience with Sunnyvale with no issues (only 60K miles though).
/Steve
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
A rebuild should be less than $3k on a 5AT, even with the expensive OE kit.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Advanced

Update on Tranny #3

Hey all,

Yep I'm in the Bay. I bought the car from Mike Harvey Acura in Burlingame.

DO NOT GO TO MIKE HARVEY ACURA... they are infamous for their shady business.

[allow me to vent a lil on their customer service... you can skip down to the details if you'd like]

On the day that tranny #2 broke down...

*ring ring

[Mike Harvey Acura]: Hi this is Mike Harvey Acura, how may I help you?
[me]: Hi, my transmission is making a whining noise and gears are starting to slip. I'm uncertain if I am able to continue driving.
[MHA]: Ok sir. What day would you like to come in?
[me]: What?
[MHA]: what day would you like to make your appointment sir?
[me]: um.. as soon as possible? I'm uncertain if my car will be able to move soon.
[MHA]: well what day do you want? monday, tuesday, wednesday... you know?
[me getting steamed]: listen... lady... my TRANSMISSION is failing as we speak. can I come in NOW to have it checked?
[MHA w/ attitude]: no sir. you have to make an appointment. now which day'll it be.
[me]: your next opening.
[MHA]: ok good bye. *click

uh... she didn't tell me the day nor time..................

- 5 minutes later... car failed... pulled over... flares lit... immobilized -

*ringring

[same lady @ MHA]: Mike Harvey Acura, how may I help you?
[me]: Hi. I just called about 5 minutes ago about my transmission failing. And well, the car has stopped. I'm immobilized.
[MHA]: okay...?
[me]: well... can you send a tow truck?
[MHA]: sorry we don't do that. go get your own.
[me]: forget it, I'm calling Roadside Assistance
[MHA]: yeah you go do that *click

like I said... PLEASE do not go to MIKE HARVEY ACURA in Burlingame. THEY SUCK!

Anyway... moving on...

Tranny #2 was replaced at Oakland Acura, as the car broke down while I was at Berkeley for the weekend. Nothing spectacular.

onwards with the details for tranny #3

First and foremost, the "update" and "retrofit oil jet kit" as well as "reprogramming the ecu" don't do jack. Actually nah, that's a bit harsh. They do help a bit in making the tranny last a bit longer. Fact of the matter is, it's not a matter of IF another new tranny from Acura will fail, but a matter of WHEN the new tranny will fail.

On this failure, the car went first to Acura of Serramonte (good service... and real nice facilities). Unfortunately, Acura of America wasn't willing to pick up the tab as I am over warranty (104,000) so the dealership gave me the shrug too. Understandable. Serramonte asked me for $3500 for a replacement.

I figured I could better spend that sort of money elsewhere, so I had the car towed once again... this time to B&E Transmissions Inc. (BTC Transmission Center... they changed names a few times). I've been told that this is the place to be for transmission work here in San Francisco. Looking at getting a full custom rebuild for a little less than what Acura was asking for.

The car should be going under the knife in the next day or so... so I'll update then.

*fingers crossed
Old 10-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by virginTLS
Hey all,

[allow me to vent a lil on their customer service... you can skip down to the details if you'd like]

*ring ring

[me]: Hi, my transmission is making a whining noise and gears are starting to slip. I'm uncertain if I am able to continue driving.
[me]: um.. as soon as possible? I'm uncertain if my car will be able to move soon.
[me getting steamed]: listen... lady... my TRANSMISSION is failing as we speak. can I come in NOW to have it checked?
[MHA w/ attitude]: no sir. you have to make an appointment. now which day'll it be.

*ringring

[me]: Hi. I just called about 5 minutes ago about my transmission failing. And well, the car has stopped. I'm immobilized.

Anyway... moving on...

Tranny #2 was replaced at Oakland Acura, as the car broke down while I was at Berkeley for the weekend. Nothing spectacular.

First and foremost, the "update" and "retrofit oil jet kit" as well as "reprogramming the ecu" don't do jack. Actually nah, that's a bit harsh. They do help a bit in making the tranny last a bit longer. Fact of the matter is, it's not a matter of IF another new tranny from Acura will fail, but a matter of WHEN the new tranny will fail.

On this failure, the car went first to Acura of Serramonte (good service... and real nice facilities). Unfortunately, Acura of America wasn't willing to pick up the tab as I am over warranty (104,000) so the dealership gave me the shrug too. Understandable. Serramonte asked me for $3500 for a replacement.

I figured I could better spend that sort of money elsewhere, so I had the car towed once again... this time to B&E Transmissions Inc. (BTC Transmission Center... they changed names a few times). I've been told that this is the place to be for transmission work here in San Francisco. Looking at getting a full custom rebuild for a little less than what Acura was asking for.

The car should be going under the knife in the next day or so... so I'll update then.

*fingers crossed
Ok the oil jet is for a completly Unrelated issue in the tranny, and does serve a purpouse. you wouldnt want that failure while driving. When was the last tranny replaced?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
10th Gear

i was going to say if you provided the tranny i would of replaced it for about 300.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Hey all,

*ring ring

*ringring

Anyway... moving on...

*fingers crossed
I agree, Burlingame Acura is terrible. I had VERY bad purchasing experience
there. I ended up canceling the order and going elsewhere.

/Steve
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by vinovelo
I agree, Burlingame Acura is terrible. I had VERY bad purchasing experience
there. I ended up canceling the order and going elsewhere.

/Steve
So what Acura dealer is good in the bay.
I've had a good experience at Los Gatos Acura. They changed my tranny, and I was over the 100,000. I would like to go there more for fixes but they are just to far from SF.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I have to agree with Los Gatos as far as sales side....purchased my TL-S at Sunnyvale...good sales and service, but pricing on Acuracare was high. Walked into Hopkins in Redwood City to buy Acuracare...was flat out told they couldn't sell it to me as I was over on mileage and timeframe from purchase (total BS).

Called Los Gatos....got a price $300 or so less than any other....drove over and wrote a check..no problems....

Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LAMike240
I have to agree with Los Gatos as far as sales side....purchased my TL-S at Sunnyvale...good sales and service, but pricing on Acuracare was high. Walked into Hopkins in Redwood City to buy Acuracare...was flat out told they couldn't sell it to me as I was over on mileage and timeframe from purchase (total BS).

Called Los Gatos....got a price $300 or so less than any other....drove over and wrote a check..no problems....

Mike
Hey guys,

What is the Acuracare?

I have to agree that Mike Harvey does not always provide good services unless it is in black and white. So far they had replaced my back seat cover and parts for my transmission. There is no extra from these guys.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Advanced

Update on Transmission #3 (rebuild)

Hey all!

Got the car back from Bryant Transmission Center (BTC... previous known as B&E Transmission). A quick recap of the context of the story is that BTC suggested that they open up the tranny first and take a look at what's the deal inside. If enough components are ok, they'd just overhaul and rebuild the sucker instead of spending more with picking up a new one. Sounds fine to me.

After inspection and deciding to stick with this one, they put in a full overhaul kit with new clutches, seals, torque converter and all that jazz.

Car had some minor problems the first day I got it back, but after bringing it back the next day for troubleshooting, the car's been driving good (for a month thus far)

Feels very efficient and responsive.
Gears/clutches grab nice n strong.
Shifts feels crisp and clean.

Hope #2.5 (#2 rebuilt) will last long. On the bright (and somewhat comfort inspiring) note, BTC gives a 2 year / 24k mile warranty.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:24 PM

Were there any updates installed during the rebuild to improve durability?

How much did the job run?

If they did a good job, and used good parts, it should last another 100-150k.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
Were there any updates installed during the rebuild to improve durability?

How much did the job run?

If they did a good job, and used good parts, it should last another 100-150k.
Ditto.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 AM
Advanced

a painful $2800... (though 700 less than what Acura was clawing for)

Was told by Skyline college's automotive technology professor that BTC's the place to be in the city if you have transmission issues.

Fingers crossed.

But ya regardless of paranoia, the car's been driving great

Remember! say NO to Mike Harvey Acura in Burlingame!!!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:23 AM

a painful $2800... (though 700 less than what Acura was clawing for)

Was told by Skyline college's automotive technology professor that BTC's the place to be in the city if you have transmission issues.

Fingers crossed.

But ya regardless of paranoia, the car's been driving great

Remember! say NO to Mike Harvey Acura in Burlingame!!!
Glad to hear its finally fixed. BTW wheres BTC?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:28 AM
TL.....mmmmmm

I saw you got ur second tranny at Oakland Acura, my cars tranny failed going 70 in the middle lane of 580 with my car at full capacity, lol, but anyways, i liked their service department, they were cool, anywayz good luck with the new tranny =)
Old 11-26-2006, 10:51 AM

$2800 is a great price...could you give us more info on the parts replaced and the brand of parts used?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Lookin over the invoice... the final total was $2886.06

I don't know the brand names of the parts that went in since BTC made all the decisions. They are familiar w/ the Honda/Acura 6cyl transmission issues and know the weakest links in the system. I asked them the repair and reinforce what needs to be beefed up to prevent future failures.

Here's the parts list per the invoice.

Master overhaul kit including:
- clutches
- gaskets
- bushings
- seals
- sealing rings
- filter

Torque converter

Transmission fluid

A/T Cooler Jet Kit

Linear control solenoid
Shift solenoid B
Shift solenoid C
3rd gear pressure switch

So far so good (had the car back @ 2 months). Fingers crossed for the tranny to outlast the car (very dry laugh). But nonetheless, here's the info on BTC should you guys (hopefully not) need their services.

Bryant Transmission Center
660 Bryant Street (between 4th & 5th)
San Francisco, CA 94107
415 543-9789
Ask for George
Referred by Phil with the silver 02 Acura TL-S (doubt it'd help w/ a discount.. but building rapport is always a good thing yea?)
Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Advanced

How has the tranny been working out for you?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chilifrost
How has the tranny been working out for you?
I might need their service at some point trans warranty going out soon, so hows the trans doing. Worth the $$$.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I would still call acura care about this- they have been known to help customers in the past

Acura Care is the national hotline number for customer service.
If you call and complain about a dealer- an email goes out to many high level people including the service manager of the dealer- many of whom wear a Blackberry or similar and get notice immediatly.

If a dealer or a person there gets bad marks on surveys or bad calls-"their head is on the chopping block"- per my SM- after I gave a bad review to survey.

Acura corporate WANTS happy customers- NOT people going on the web and saying bad things about them- its business sense!

Because you had 2 failures under 109k they should be willing to help with some of the cost, even after the fact -some have gotten a check if done at private shop.

Its well worth the free phone call!!

1-800-382-2238 x 5 6a-5p pacific time

They do not have email- direct contact phone or snail mail only
You can also snail mail them print outs of your postings here- and members response to them-
Good Luck
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Instructor

how long did your second tranny last for?

How much does it generally cost for a new transmission, and the labor? 3500 seems a bit ridiculous, especially if its your third transmission.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Talking

Cha-CHIIIING!

After a month's worth of phone tug-o-war, I finally got my check!!!

For those who've forgotten my story, this is regarding the refund for my third transmission. Below is my claims letter which hopefully can help you guys who've met the same fate get some cash back from Honda.

March 21, 2007

American Honda
PO BOX 2964
Torrance CA, 90509
FAX: (909) 664-9009

To Whom this may concern,

RE: [case number]
For reimbursement of transmission #3 repair cost.

2002 Acura TL Type-S
VIN: [secret ]

Transmission #1 Failure 5/24/03
36,998 miles
Repaired at Oakland Acura under warranty

Transmission #2 Failure 10/5/06
103,923 miles
Denied warranty at Serramonte Acura

Transmission #3 (Rebuild) 10/6/06 - 10/16/06
660 Bryant Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
Phone: 415-543-9789 (George)
Received letter In re Chris Collins v. American Honda Motor Company during this time.
Realize extended transmission warranty is now 109,000.

Cost for Transmission #3 - $2886.06

2 road service tow truck receipts.
$100 and $135 respectfully. Excluding tip.
(Site of failure to Serramonte Acura, Serramonte Acura to Bryant Transmission Center)

Total Cost for Transmission #3 = $2886.06 + 100 + 135 = $3121.06

Page 1 of 6

RE: [case number]
For reimbursement of transmission#3 repair cost.

Attached documents
- This letter
- Bryant Transmission Center invoice - $2886.06
- Discover Card Account Summary - Payment of $2886.06
- Photocopy of 2 Tow truck receipts - $135 + 100
- Photocopy of returned check for $135 ($100 payment with cash)

Thank you very much for your consideration,
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Lookin over the invoice... the final total was $2886.06

I don't know the brand names of the parts that went in since BTC made all the decisions. They are familiar w/ the Honda/Acura 6cyl transmission issues and know the weakest links in the system. I asked them the repair and reinforce what needs to be beefed up to prevent future failures.

Here's the parts list per the invoice.

Master overhaul kit including:
- clutches
- gaskets
- bushings
- seals
- sealing rings
- filter

Torque converter

Transmission fluid

A/T Cooler Jet Kit

Linear control solenoid
Shift solenoid B
Shift solenoid C
3rd gear pressure switch

So far so good (had the car back @ 2 months). Fingers crossed for the tranny to outlast the car (very dry laugh). But nonetheless, here's the info on BTC should you guys (hopefully not) need their services.

660 Bryant Street (between 4th & 5th)
San Francisco, CA 94107
415 543-9789
Ask for George
Referred by Phil with the silver 02 Acura TL-S (doubt it'd help w/ a discount.. but building rapport is always a good thing yea?)
So what i the word on your trans. How is it holding up.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Advanced

So far so good
Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. Good deal.