Need opinions on brake pad question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need opinions on brake pad question

Well heres the story. I could tell my greenstuff pads were pretty much gone but I am probably getting rid of the car soon and did not want to buy new rotors and pads. I had about 33k on the greenstuff and they were like pretty much gone. Anyhow I wanted to try something different and got some akebono pro pads. So far braking is much improved but my question is this. Should I bed these pads in with the used rotors? A buddy of mine said he would not do a bed in as this might cause a lot of stress on the rotor and then I would definitely have to replace the rotors then. Is this true or should I bed them in? Its getting hotter here in vegas now and if driving like a maniac I notice a very slight pulsing of the steering wheel after getting the brakes really hot. But if driving normally they never get that bad. So some advice would be much appreciated. Thanks. Also I am using powerstop slotted rotors if that matters.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
If you are not going to keep the car, just install the new pads, and keep going. I do it all the time with used cars, no problem. I wouldn't worry about bedding it if you already drive it as normal as it could be, and if you have to hard brake to avoid accident, then you have to brake hard, brakes are still cheaper than any accident.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Performance pads DO need to be bedded, and a decent bedding causes no extreme rotor stress- especially since you have good rotors
If you installed the new pads without cleaning the rotors of old pad residue- that may be your pulse
For example- Hawk pads say to clean the used rotors with 120 grit sandpaper and then a soap and water wash to remove the old material and wash out the particles from sanding.
You can also use a brake spray cleaner afterward (thats what I do)
You want to remove the rotors to do it right-on the floor or workbench, but can shortcut it and pull the calipers and pads only- then spin the rotor by hand as you use a wire sanding thing on a drill to give them a quick clean and shine on both sides- its not perfect but it will take care of things for now if you dont like working on the car in the heat
then go bed the pads.
Here is 1 good method- I helped write it and tested on my 01 TL so I know it does work for us specifically. Make sure not to come to a complete stop at any time during- or you put a deposit of pad material in 1 spot on the rotor- causing guess what~ pulsing!!!!
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899
Go try doing those things- you want the buyer to feel smooth solid brakes and thats all-

Make sure you give them this website to join and tell them this ID name- so they can refer to the car as- I got this from Billy Sacco- then we will know whats been done and that the car was cared for before.

Whatcha gonna do- upsize or downsize? ever check into the smog schools?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Performance pads DO need to be bedded, and a decent bedding causes no extreme rotor stress- especially since you have good rotors
If you installed the new pads without cleaning the rotors of old pad residue- that may be your pulse
For example- Hawk pads say to clean the used rotors with 120 grit sandpaper and then a soap and water wash to remove the old material and wash out the particles from sanding.
You can also use a brake spray cleaner afterward (thats what I do)
You want to remove the rotors to do it right-on the floor or workbench, but can shortcut it and pull the calipers and pads only- then spin the rotor by hand as you use a wire sanding thing on a drill to give them a quick clean and shine on both sides- its not perfect but it will take care of things for now if you dont like working on the car in the heat
then go bed the pads.
Here is 1 good method- I helped write it and tested on my 01 TL so I know it does work for us specifically. Make sure not to come to a complete stop at any time during- or you put a deposit of pad material in 1 spot on the rotor- causing guess what~ pulsing!!!!
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1184261899
Go try doing those things- you want the buyer to feel smooth solid brakes and thats all-

Make sure you give them this website to join and tell them this ID name- so they can refer to the car as- I got this from Billy Sacco- then we will know whats been done and that the car was cared for before.

Whatcha gonna do- upsize or downsize? ever check into the smog schools?
Hey man how ya been? Ya know I was looking into it but I was kind of in limbo there so to speak for a while if ya know what I mean. Anyhow I did end up getting another job pay is decent and its a new environment so I am happy right now. You must have read my mind I am still up in the air as what direction to go as far as another car. With gas prices they way they are I have been considering a mazda 3. Heard good things about it as far as a small 4 banger car goes and they can be had relatively cheap. But I also had my eye on an newer mustang (yeah I know most would at those) but its probably one of the only higher powered cars I can afford at the moment. But it would probably drink gas like no ones business so not sure yet. I am going to try to bed these suckers in soon thanks for the link!