Need help with Simoniz pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with Simoniz pads

Hey guys,

today I took advantage of the Canadian tire special, and picked up one of their Simoniz 10" orbital polisher/waxer, and I was wondering what the four pads I received in the package can be used for?

the first two I got are terry cloth material. I would usually use these for polishing, but I find it leaves too many swirl marks, so I would want to use something far softer (microfiber?)

the next pad that came is 10 inch in diameter, and is the same material as your ordinary spunge. What can you use this for?

the last sponge is what they call a cleaning pad in the instructions. It says to put a bit of the car wax/polish on this and then polish it into the car. However, the instructions don't give any explanation about the other pads...any ideas?

thanks guy.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

The terry cloth ones are for applying and removing wax or polish. Don't use it by itself as you will have swirl marks galore. The sponge one (foam) is used either as an underpad if your bonnets are too big or by itself as a final detailer after applying your final coat of wax. You should also get the lamb's wool (I believe they also come in synthetic wool microfiber) and that should be used according to the speed of your polisher.

Search the net for the proper use of the bonnets. May do more harm than good if not used properly. There is also a technique in using the polisher. I believe it's lifting the left edge up to keep the paint from burning. (if rotating clockwise). Some experts here may give better advice. I'm in no way an expert on this 'coz I only use mine once a year.

Regards.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:29 AM
Racer

pads

the foam one is for applying wax, the terry cloth are for removing wax, the cleaner one? no idea but I would not use it.

You should apply wax with a foam applicator, compound and polish with terry cloth (terry is more abrasive)..
Old 10-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah, be careful with the pads that come with a buffer like that. It may be a pad just to be used as a base for the terry bonnet.

I think groebuck1 has a PC. In that situation, foam pads are different.

As far as burning the paint, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's by Simoniz, it's orbital and it probably doesn't have enough speed to do it. That situation is more likely with a straight shaft rotary. Just don't keep it in one spot for too long.

Whatever you do, clay first and try a small section first.

I give you 6 months before you upgrade to the PC :p
Old 10-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Racer

heh

no PC yet - I have a Wen 10" RO buffer that I rarely use.

The RO buffer kits I have seen lately have a foam applicator for wax application and a couple of terry bonnets. One way to tell is if the bonnet has some sort of plastic coating on the inside (to prevent the wax from getting through to the base unit)..if it does then it is for applying.. if not then it is for removing.