Navi System Wish List....

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 03:19 PM

Lightbulb Navi System Wish List....

OK, here is my future wish list for enhancements to the Navi System. Obviously, the system would be more like a onboard computer with navi functions if/when these things become reality.

1. Overlay real-time traffic info on the routes being traveled on the navi, providing updates due to heavy traffic, accidents, construction, etc. Updates would be received via wireless radio frequencies.

2. Infrared port that would allow the uploading/syncing of information from PDA's (Palmpilot, visor, etc.). Provide access to personal calendar, contacts, memo, other apps. Actually, how about running PalmOS on the system. Or having a standard slot built in to the dash to insert your PDA which would allow you to access your PDA via the Navi screen.

3. Integrate cell phone feature to navi.

4. Of course how about Internet access.

5. Provide USB ports for attaching/running peripheral devices. Maybe locate a few in the trunk and passenger compartment.

6. Voice recognition/response.

What other ideas do you have? I'm giving most of the above stuff about 10 years and it will be standard features. Maybe I'm getting a little carried away but technology just fasinates me.

Beem me up scotty!
Old 05-02-2001, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phone integration with voice activation?
on board computer for trips?
voice activated everything!!

Live long and prosper!
Old 05-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Instructor

1. Skip the traffic overlay and have the computer pick the fastest route based on the traffic information it recieves. An improvment in traffic update methiods may be needed to make this all work.

2. Learning mode that learns how YOU drive to a particular destination and stores it, providing you with real time problems with your route when they occur.

3. Icons for fast food chains, stores, etc. They have some of the gas station icons now, so it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. How come the system doesn't display Rest Areas on the Freeways?!

4. Trip computer

5. Satellite Radio

6. Rear camera view

7. Weather/Radar Updates

Why did you get me started with this

------------------
Fins^
2002 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver
Debadged
Old 05-02-2001, 04:55 PM

Yeesh, where to start? Even my $189 Garmin Emap GPS has functions that I would have expected to find on my Acura's Nav system. A few enhancements I'd like to see include:
  • A trip computer, for sure --showing, say, distance traveled, time moving, time stationary, max speed, average speed, altitude, direction.
  • A clock that sets itself (GPS satellites broadcast nanosecond-accurate time code continuously, and I've been completely baffled why the one in my new Acura doesn't set its time the way handheld GPS's do.)
  • To have a record mode on the system so that it has the ability to store a route that I take. Hopefully I can then save, edit, and name that route for future reference --just like on a handheld GPS.
  • A more detailed display of how many SV's (satellites) the GPS is "seeing" at any given time. (Geeky, I know, but that kind of thing is interesting to some of us.)
  • Screen brightness that auto-adjusts based on ambient light, rather than whether or not the headlights are on. Too often when I turn on my lights at dusk, the display is a little dimmer than I'd like until the sun goes all the way down. (Yeah, I know I can go into the menu and set it manually. I just think the system oughta do it without user intervention.)

Actually, despite its limitations, I'm very happy that I sprung for the Navi option. I've used it several times to find gas stations and hotels, and one time it led me out of a maze of back country roads that I certainly would've gotten lost in. A very handy option indeed.

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
WDP, Parchment, Navi
Custom, High-Performance Molybdenum Muffler Bearings --At least, that's what the salesguy said...
Roadbrew (TM) Dashmount cappuccino machine --Messy & dangerous, but worth it.
Bobbing-head dog figurine in rear window --Stylin!
Old 05-02-2001, 04:58 PM
Racer

Oh yeah, that's right.
Color code segment of road based on traffic report.
Color code areas based on crime stats.
I wanted to go to hackensack this morning, and I was sent into Jersey City.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:09 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Fins^:

2. Learning mode that learns how YOU drive to a particular destination and stores it, providing you with real time problems with your route when they occur.

Aside from showing ALL THE STREETS IN THE USA like the $35 Street Atlas USA does, the learning mode is a great idea.

Everytime I drive to Southern Connecticut, the NAV will direct me down I-91 to I-95. I prefer the Merritt Parkway, and it does not let up with the "Make a U-Turn at the next exit" all the way to Stamford. It would be cool if it would remember that I HATE I-95 in southern CT.

The other suggestions are good too. I would expect that these NAV systems will have the Microsoft Windows CE OS before long. They could make it so the PDA would only function when the car is not moving.

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Gauge & Vent Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 05-02-2001, 05:26 PM
10th Gear

Apart from those listed I would like to remember where you were when you turned off the ignition. If you make stops along the way it should fire up at the last screen.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:29 PM
Racer

Acura needs to get rid of that intro/warning screen!!!!!!
That's so freakin' annoying.
I also want to be able to see the big clock whenever I want...not only when the NAV is inactive.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Considering that it is a $2000 option, and it's only a $33000 car, I wouldn't go as far as saying it needs voice recognition and other expensive technology. But I would like to see:

1) Clock that sets itself, much like PCS phones do.
2) Trip computer
3) A way to set prefered routes. If you take an alternative route, it would be nice to save that.
4) Default to the last-opened window, rather than the menu when it starts up.
5) A way to display the clock when you don't want to look at a map, without having to shutdown the navigation system.
Old 05-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

An On/OFF Switch...and ..take the AC controls out of the system! I need Nav 5% of the time..but I must "deal" with it 100% of the time...Plus..it is a potental MAJOR expense problem if The AC feature goes out...(8 years from now)
Old 05-02-2001, 05:51 PM
Cruisin'

Otherwise....I wanted it so BAD!
Old 05-02-2001, 07:11 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Heretic:
A more detailed display of how many SV's (satellites) the GPS is "seeing" at any given time. (Geeky, I know, but that kind of thing is interesting to some of us.)

It already has this feature. Basically, if I remember correctly, you need to keep the top 3 buttons pressed for a few seconds, and it goes into the "secret screen", where you can do a lot of setups of the NAV. You can even change the colors of the NAV screen. While there, you can also see how many of the satellites are "visible" to the Navigation system.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 05-02-2001, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up

No one said the ability to play a DVD movie on the darn thing!!

C'mon, if we're asking for moon, why not ask for a few passing comets just for grins!
Old 05-03-2001, 01:26 AM
Instructor

...and no one mentioned why isn't the screen bigger and higher resolution.

I also want that cool short Euro antenna instead of the one built into our rear glass.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
As I stated someplace else, I want "Avoid High Crime Area"
Old 05-03-2001, 08:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by AcuracerX:
No one said the ability to play a DVD movie on the darn thing!!

C'mon, if we're asking for moon, why not ask for a few passing comets just for grins!

Already available, and has been for a little while now. You just need a $200 (or around there) adapter which will allow you to hook up DVD, PS2, etc. to the NAVI screen. Go to the Audio and Electronics forum, you can buy it from a couple of guys on this site!!

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 05-03-2001, 08:27 AM

Radar that highlights the cops.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:13 AM
MCD
Instructor

Originally posted by hunter001:
...you need to keep the top 3 buttons pressed for a few seconds, and it goes into the "secret screen", where you can do a lot of setups of the NAV. You can even change the colors of the NAV screen. While there, you can also see how many of the satellites are "visible" to the Navigation system.
Really? Cool! Is there a chance however that I could cause major problems to the Nav if I play with some settings?