Old 11-01-2001, 05:14 AM
j83
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
koo...............

whats it do?
i know its a mystery mod and i know it give somewhat gains
but please details please!!!

an dis it me or do i see it on a platter?
Old 11-01-2001, 06:32 AM
jbn
Instructor

Looks good. Any pics of it on the car?
Old 11-01-2001, 07:36 AM
Original Member #81

Looks like it replaces the upper portion of the intake.........
Old 11-01-2001, 08:24 AM
Pro

$300 for a non-moving piece of what looks like 1 sq foot of machined stainless.

I'm glad Rick Case wasn't asked to make the entire car. If they did, it'd cost some $120,000 for an entry level luxury vehicle.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:43 AM
jbn
Instructor

$300 for a non-moving piece of what looks like 1 sq foot of machined stainless
That is what i was thinking. Give me the specs on that and i'll make my own.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

I think the most important thing here is that the research behind the development of this item has led to incredible gains. Sure we could all go out and have a similar looking piece fabbed up ourselves for far less than $299, but that's because the hard part has already been done for us: the R&D. I will never understand the gripes for a piece that:

Doesn't have any moving parts (therefore will never fail)
Adds GREAT power (dyno proven)
Looks good under the hood
Is easy to install

Now we're criticizing it for the surface area/dollar ratio? Isn't hp/dollar the more important thing here?

A CAI, quite frankly, is a $15 aluminum tube with $3 worth of hardware and a $40 filter at the end, but we shell out $200 for those. Why? Because they add power.

But not as much power as the Rick Case mod has PROVEN to add (dyno graphs were supplied).

I can understand that this thing was built up pretty heavily way in advance of its release so there's BOUND to be people that take the "That's it?!?" approach.

I guess the first lesson of marketing is that you can't make everyone happy.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:29 AM
Drifting

I'm amazed at how defensive some people get when others criticize the omnipotent Mystery Mod. I, like others, are utterly skeptical about its effectiveness. And if simply increasing the plenum volume boosts power by 12HP across the band, the obvious question would be: why didn't Acura do the same?

This sounds more and more like the Tornado Fuel Saver to me. I won't touch it with a 10-ft pole until someone posts some independent dyno results.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:41 AM
Drifting

I will be more than happy to post before and after dyno results.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:50 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Stylin Silver Sled
I will be more than happy to post before and after dyno results.
me too
Old 11-01-2001, 10:03 AM
Original Member #81

Hook me up with a good deal on one and I'll do dynos all day long........with and without NITROUS.......
Old 11-01-2001, 10:03 AM
Racer

I agree with RAdams that even though its a "lowtech" mod, it still justifies the price if it can increase power by 10-15 hp and 10-15 lb/ft. A lot of that price does go to R&D, I didn't see anybody else spending their man hours trying to develop a mod that can increase power thru-out the rpm range.

One reason why acura may not have done a simple mod like this is that they build the car for the public masses, not for power hungry racers. While they made it 260horses to satisfy our appetite they had also watch fuel consumption since a HUGE chuck of the buyers are conserned about that as well as other factors. Since this mod would drop mpg a little bit, Acura prob thought it be better to leave car as is.

Just keep in mind that Acura didn't build the car for u or me(mystery mod buyers), but for the general public.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by daverman
I'm amazed at how defensive some people get when others criticize the omnipotent Mystery Mod. I, like others, are utterly skeptical about its effectiveness. And if simply increasing the plenum volume boosts power by 12HP across the band, the obvious question would be: why didn't Acura do the same?

This sounds more and more like the Tornado Fuel Saver to me. I won't touch it with a 10-ft pole until someone posts some independent dyno results.
I'm a friend of Doug's (well, maybe not so much since anymore I ***** incessantly at the naysayers that have sprung up with the announcement of this mod) so I can see how you'd see it as me being defensive.

However, in response to your question: Good logic.

Why didn't Acura include a Comptech-style header on the car as well? No one's ever had problems with theirs... and they do add power.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:06 AM
Racer

Ok, sounds nice. But what the hell is it and what it does?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by RAdams

I'm a friend of Doug's (well, maybe not so much since anymore I ***** incessantly at the naysayers that have sprung up with the announcement of this mod) so I can see how you'd see it as me being defensive.

However, in response to your question: Good logic.

Why didn't Acura include a Comptech-style header on the car as well? No one's ever had problems with theirs... and they do add power.
great point Ron.

People have to realize that it is an aftermarket modification designed to increase power and torque. I am sure that if the TL was designed to compete with the M5 they would have taken many other things into consideration. The fact is that there are now many parts available for our TL and they are designed for what we want...SPEED and POWER!

Another point to consider is the demographics of TL owners. The TL owners in my office are not car enthusiasts nor do they modify their TLs. They are bone stock and they are not interested in modding their cars. I think this is true for most TL owners, we (modders) are few compared to the masses.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:13 AM
jbn
Instructor

Everybody relax! Take few deep breaths and calm down. My post was meant to be humorus. Everybody for months had hundereds of ideas and thoughts on what the MM was. Some people expected high tech chips and other people where alomost dead on to what it was. I just tohought that after all that, all it is a rectangular piece of meatl thats it. Oh man that was too easy. I was hoping for some high tech mode that would revolutionize the automotive industry. Nope its as simple as it looks.

Don' t get me wrong do it think it is alot of $$ for the atcually product yes but is it worth it YES! If it does what it clams.

So every body take it easy no one is dogging you super mod.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:25 AM
Drifting

I just get upset that people think the MM is going to be this awesome supercharger looking thing with carbon fiber t!ts and a polished vagina.

Granted it is a piece of polished metal, but you have to realize that it costs money to R&D it and also to manufacture it. Oh yeah, what's wrong with Rick Case and anyone else making a few $$ off of it. Why do you think they are in business?
Old 11-01-2001, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually, the polished vagina is an option. But it adds considerably to the price.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People b!tch and complain begging and wanting a super charger
or turbo or whatever, say... we need it and will die without it. I'll
pay anything to get it. Then someone goes and does a crap load
of work to bring something to production and all those same people
do is criticize it and say how it's not worth their time or money. This
just goes to show, if you want marketing info, don't go to a forum.
Too many people with their mile long "future mod lists" who are all
talk no walk. Sorry, just tired of reading all these complaints when
2 seconds of common sense thinking should have had them totally
prepared on what they should expect.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

at least its polished It could very well been a dull finish...imagine the gripes if it was!
Old 11-01-2001, 10:54 AM
Original Member #81

Dhiren.........

No matter what we do or say there will always be someone to doubt us. Do you know who they are............The same guys that don't have the balls to do what we're doing!
Old 11-01-2001, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Comptech Supercharger and Rick Case Mystery Mod?

I am under the impression that the extra HP from the TL-S to the TL is created solely because of the intake manifold. I know suspension, interior, wheels, and other things are different, but I have been told that an '02 TL-S wit the Comptech SC and an '02 TL-P with the Comptech SC will be the same in the respects to HP because the SC replaces all of the "difference-makers" between the Type S and Regular.

1. Is this true or have I just been duped?

2. Will the Rick Case Mystery Mod work with the SC. If so, how much crazy power are we talking about for the TL/TL-S?

Thanks,

Burt
Old 11-01-2001, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

When you have forced induction, it's better to have low compression(ala TL-P), as oppossed to higher compression(ala TL-S).

So if you can change boost and stuff, the SC SHOULD work better on the regular TL.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Wow, I can't believe what discussion has turned into . . . everybody calm down and let's try to get down to some facts. I was at SEMA on Tuesday, and while I was talking to the Comptech reps Frank (the guy who posted the picture) and I noticed a gentleman with an id badge from Rick Case Acura. It was Doug and he gave us a chance to take a look at the product and talk about it for a bit. The item he brought is a pre-production model, that roughly shows the size and shape of the product. Basically, its a cover for the intake manifold. As to how it works I'm not too sure, but it has a lot to do with the geometry of the cover. Doug indicated that the stock cover has some very bad resonance that hampers performance. This item changes the parts property/characteristic to eliminate/reduce the resonance. He had dyno charts proving the gains so I don't the hp claims he is making. He also making his pitch to Shad one of Comptech's engineers, needless to say he was impressed. I think Doug was trying to collaborate with Comptech to see whether the "mystery mod" will provide substantial gains with a supercharged V6.

I know there's always gonna skeptics and people saying that "it cost too much", but people just have to hold off on making any judgements before they get all the facts. Yeah $300 is quite a bit for an unproven mod . . . but I don't doubt that once there's several of these parts out there and it does what it claims, then these same people calling "BS" will turn around and buy if for their own. This is a pretty revolutionary product, with some new ideas put into it, in fact Doug has placed a couple patents on the idea to protect his investment/design.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
personally im glad it's simple...it's already proven..it's the tech. that went into the typeS in the first place,and just one up'd....2 years or more ago when people where having acctuator problems we were taking this plate off looking at the plenum...i thought then ...I wonder if there were more room in there it would creat more hemholtz effect...well i guess doug thought the same thing...IM glad ...the dyno's back his mod and the price is unbelievable...i hope it comes in colors...matching it to your intake would be nice...but im taking it not matter what color...this thin out performs headers(accross the board performance,incl. torque) for 1000$ less retail... i'll take one...still could someone answer this...I THOUGHT THE TYPE S WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PLATE????????
Old 11-01-2001, 12:17 PM
O.G.

Bring it on! As soon as a few people put it in their car and it's proven consistantly, then I'll get one.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:47 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally posted by BlackShadow
Bring it on! As soon as a few people put it in their car and it's proven consistantly, then I'll get one.
Wussy!! Don't be a follower, be a leader!! So go ahead, be the first one... let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hope it comes in colors too to match the intakes.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by liutang
Hope it comes in colors too to match the intakes.
LMAO.. I thought the same thing when I bought it... now my blue intake won't match the MM!!

Of course that doesn't matter to me. I can't wait to get this thing!!
Old 11-01-2001, 03:51 PM
Racer

So when does the MM go on for sale? Also, does it replace a part or does it bolt on top of it?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by PhiTL
at least its polished It could very well been a dull finish...imagine the gripes if it was!
I actually don't like the shiny metal. Its a huge piece and its right in the middle of the engine bay. Talk about flashy . If it was matte gray, it would match the muted gray and red tones of the engine bay better
Old 11-01-2001, 04:33 PM
Racer

So please someone make your best guess and opinion here....

A bone stock TL-p = 225hp.
Comptech Headers = +30hp
Comptech Exhaust = +5 hp
The Mystery Mod = +10hp
Comptech Supercharger = +50? hp
Specialty sparks plugs= +10hp

So we can have a 300 or more HP car here?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

This is the reason I stopped getting involved to get things done for people on this forum. Look at all the trouble Nate went through and he always gets all the complaints because the gauges arent finished yet. Anytime something comes out to meet a demand, all of a sudden everyone is like naw its not worth the money. Well I think 1000 dollars for the Acura front side and rear spoilers is a lot of money concidering they probably cost less then 200 dollars to make but I still want them. I also think many stylish rims are way overpriced. But so are those nice sneakers I wanted, and that shirt.
Most of the time the higher priced something is, the better the quality. There is nothing wrong with a cheap T shirt, but don't expect the color to last past 4 washes. My point is we shouldn't try to discredit companies that actually bothered to make stuff for us when we can't afford it. You might think a 20 dollar key chain is worth it cause its only 20 even though it is priced 1600% over cost. I will get the mods I want even if it takes a few years, but that won't change how I feel about them. If this mod works, this may be the best one we have ever had. Just because it doesn't move doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

I'll be the guinea pig!!! Sign me up for the damn thing already!!!!!
Old 11-01-2001, 07:34 PM
Retired MOD

Talking

That is nice, it looks nice and adds a lot of power. I want it

Good job Doug.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ChaosityZ
So please someone make your best guess and opinion here....

A bone stock TL-p = 225hp.
Comptech Headers = +30hp
Comptech Exhaust = +5 hp
The Mystery Mod = +10hp
Comptech Supercharger = +50? hp
Specialty sparks plugs= +10hp

So we can have a 300 or more HP car here?
You can't add HP together. Doesn't work that way.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn, I knew I bought the chrome neuspeed upper strut for some odd reason...I dont care what the hell all you critics say, this thing was dynoed and it looks like there is nothing to it...I would suppose it really wouldnt fu@k up our cars since its just going over the engine cover...You think Tim would market this thing if it was bogus...I admit, when I saw it, I was like WTF??? At least we have seen it already, and we all know what it does...If youre not buying, stop crying...Shyne
Old 11-01-2001, 11:47 PM
Retired MOD

Plus the headers are only 17hp on the TL-P.

Old 11-02-2001, 12:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by SybariticOne
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

I'll be the guinea pig!!! Sign me up for the damn thing already!!!!!
Your wheels are ****ing ownage.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Then how do you find out? Dyno?

Quick Reply: Mystery Mod PIC