-tre
Old 10-31-2001, 09:45 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sux, u better hit the books, boy!!
Old 10-31-2001, 09:52 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn your parents are strict as hell but that's good for you in the long run. Just bust your a$$ now and you'll get your TL back. Good luck and happy studying!
Old 11-01-2001, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait...3.0 GPA??? ****, "As Long As I Try Hard" they say I can get whatever I want...dude that sucks, for how long they gonna take it away?
Old 11-01-2001, 06:34 AM
jbn
Instructor

It must be great to have you parents buy you a TL but that's the draw back of it not being your they can take it away whenever they want. Better luck this semester!
Old 11-01-2001, 08:58 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well good luck that's all I can say... but I don't think this is the right way to educate kids thought... I for one won't do that to my own kid.

I flunk my first math test in Oct. Then I got 98% on my economics midterm which is 25th out of about 1000 people. I live alone and the TL is mine. But let's say that my parents are here and they take the car away from me. I wouldn't study as hard, I will feel pissed and all............

Seriously, I don't think that's the way to go. And I think it's bad in the long run in terms of the relationship between the kid and parents...
Old 11-01-2001, 10:37 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

When was the last time I worried about my GPA..
Good luck!!!
Old 11-01-2001, 10:58 AM
Pro

Is that mean you need to wait for another 9 weeks to prove your grade will be better to get your cars back? Grades can't prove a thing.
Old 11-01-2001, 02:28 PM
Instructor

sorry to hear about that bro. as a student, i know the pressures you got. take it easy.

burt
Old 11-01-2001, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by SL1200MK4
Well good luck that's all I can say... but I don't think this is the right way to educate kids thought... I for one won't do that to my own kid.

I flunk my first math test in Oct. Then I got 98% on my economics midterm which is 25th out of about 1000 people. I live alone and the TL is mine. But let's say that my parents are here and they take the car away from me. I wouldn't study as hard, I will feel pissed and all............

Seriously, I don't think that's the way to go. And I think it's bad in the long run in terms of the relationship between the kid and parents...
Well, if the car is indeed his (bought with his own money) then I can see your point; OTOH--if it's his parents', then unfortunately for him they can do whatever they want with the car. To Tre's credit, he's not b*tching about it or saying that his parents are wrong for taking the car away from him. Too bad many other kids these days aren't like him--they never think that they themselves are to blame, even if it was indeed their own fault.

Tony
Old 11-01-2001, 03:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: my TL being taken away :(

Originally posted by tre
I didn't make a 3.0 this 9 weeks, so my baby is being taken away from me

hope I get it back soon

-tre
Hey Tre--

I hope you get it back soon, too.

FWIW--I have a lot of respect for guys like you who don't go around getting upset at someone else (your parent(s)) for something which you were responsible for. Don't mind the other comments about how it's wrong for parents to do something like take your car away (assuming that it's your parent's car); believe me, there are parents out there who do much worse than that...

Tony
Old 11-01-2001, 04:14 PM
tre
Racer

Unhappy

thanks guys
yah itll be 9 weeks before i get to drive my car again
its not good for it to be not turned on for 9 weeks is it ?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:24 PM
Banned

dude seriously man, how hard is it to make a 3.0 in high school....
Old 11-01-2001, 04:25 PM
Banned

all ya can do is work harder I guess.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bioyuki
Yeah come on man. A 3.0 in high school? Put some more effort into it. Get your car back...and keep it.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:14 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by tdoh

Well, if the car is indeed his (bought with his own money) then I can see your point; OTOH--if it's his parents', then unfortunately for him they can do whatever they want with the car. To Tre's credit, he's not b*tching about it or saying that his parents are wrong for taking the car away from him. Too bad many other kids these days aren't like him--they never think that they themselves are to blame, even if it was indeed their own fault.

Tony

I respect your point, and sure the parents got every right to take the car away from their kids WHENEVER they want to and for WHATEVER reason...

What I am saying is that it's not a good way to educate your kid that way... But that's just MHO, and I am not saying his parents is wrong or anything...

I just think that there's a lot more in life then just marks. If the parents make going to school as a job, and if you do good, you get the car. It's just not right... I dunno... Maybe I am the one who's F up...... but then again, I left my parents when I was 14... so I pretty much educated myself alone the way... maybe I am just different, though got a different opinion...
Old 11-01-2001, 05:47 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Oh crap. I though all this time we were talking about college. bah! you're lucky to even be driving in highschool.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

sl1200mk4, if this isn't the best way to educate your kids, what would you do? This isn't about educating your kids this is the way the world works. Every person that has a job deals with the same thing. If you perform at "x" level, you get "x" dollars. If you don't perform in the work place, they take away your job instead of your car. If you don't provide an incentive, why should they work hard. Teens can't possible foresee the consequence of their choice to slack off in school. So, this gives them reason to work hard and they will appreciate the fact they didn't slack off. I am not a parent. I'm only 23. I am wise enough to see that people inherently do the least possible, unless they have reason to do more.

Don't take it personally, but parents who have your reasoning create pain for themselves and their kids. Your reason not to do this was that the kid would be mad at the parent. Too many parents these days want to be friends with their kids whether than be parents. It is easier that way. These kids grow up with no respect for authority, because their only authority in their life was too busy trying not to piss them off and as a result their was no authority.

JFK once said something to the effet of: We do not do these things because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Don't take the easy way out, practice disipline.

I commend this kids parents for their job. 5-10 years from now, I think he will agree with me if he already doesn't.
Old 11-01-2001, 06:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

thats too bad, but what does a 3.0 mean? i dont kno that system... is it a grading system? in poercentage how much would that be? 60? 70?....
Old 11-01-2001, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Okay, let's look at why give the kid a car to drive at the first place. If you think the kid didn't do well in school because he got a car, then why give him a car at the first place?

It's a family, not a company. You are NOT training you kid to be a top employee. Not that it's a bad thing, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to simply talk to the kid. Try to find out why he didn't do well, and help him out... By taking the car away from the kid, you give the kid more pressure and less incentive.

I think a lot people don't know how to cope with stress because when they are having some bad times, they get even more pressure from their parents. Parents should help the kid find a solution.

Maybe the kid doesn't have any idea that the people that he is hanging out with are the problem, maybe he had relationship troubles. I think it will work better if the parents help the kid to find the root of the problem. Not just take the car away from the kid or beat him up, cut his allowrance... Maybe he will never realize what his problem is...

I agree with the fact the a lot kids don't have respect to no one nowadays. But it doesn't come from coercion. We are human, not machines. It's like teaching a kid math. You can't just say 1+1= 2 and go figure out the rest. You can't just say you have to have respect to people, because that's the way it is. You should tell them that people will pay you respect only if you are a respectable person. Now, to be a respectable person, you have to respects others and bababa... A good hour long talk to the kid and give the kid sometime to figure it out... Eventually he will know better...
Old 11-01-2001, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by tre

hope I get it back soon

-tre
Just want to say that I have nothing against you or your parents. I left my family when I was only 14, so I guess I have some really different opinions simply because I was brought up differently.

Didn't mean to have the debate going on in your thread, but I just want to share my point of view and it's nice to hear from others.

Hope you get your car back ASAP.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:38 PM
Banned

Btw, I really hope you have a 3.0 out of a 4.0 and not 5.0 scale.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:38 PM
Pro

Originally posted by lilboykorea
thats too bad, but what does a 3.0 mean? i dont kno that system... is it a grading system? in poercentage how much would that be? 60? 70?....
It means a B average.

A=4.0 (100-90)
B=3.0 (80-89)
C=2.0 (70-79)
D=1.0 (60-69)
F=0.0 (Below 60)

Some honor classes if you get an "A". You get a 5.0 GPA.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Hum.......... The way most Canadian University works out like this.

A = 80+ = 4 GPA
B = 70+ = 3 GPA
C = 60+ = 2 GPA
D = 50+ = 1 GPA
F = 50- = 0 GPA...
Old 11-01-2001, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Hum.......... The way most Canadian University works out like this.

A = 80+ = 4 GPA
B = 70+ = 3 GPA
C = 60+ = 2 GPA
D = 50+ = 1 GPA
F = 50- = 0 GPA...
WOW!!

My High School Grade Scale was

A= 93-100 =4
B= 85-92 =3
C= 75-84 =2
D= 68-74 =1
F= 67- = 0

University of Arizona

A= 90+ =4
B= 80+ =3
C= 70+ =2
D= 60+ =1
F= 60- =0
Old 11-01-2001, 09:23 PM
The Doctor

dude.... i had a 4.30 in high school.. including all the AP's....

just open those books and you will be set!
Old 11-01-2001, 09:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

I respect your point, and sure the parents got every right to take the car away from their kids WHENEVER they want to and for WHATEVER reason...

What I am saying is that it's not a good way to educate your kid that way... But that's just MHO, and I am not saying his parents is wrong or anything...

I just think that there's a lot more in life then just marks. If the parents make going to school as a job, and if you do good, you get the car. It's just not right... I dunno... Maybe I am the one who's F up...... but then again, I left my parents when I was 14... so I pretty much educated myself alone the way... maybe I am just different, though got a different opinion...
It's all cool...each person is entitled to make his or her own decisions in life; I won't knock you for yours. Sure, taking a car away just because someone didn't get good grades may be harsh punishment to some but perhaps not to others. It's how you respond that really matters; some people can choose to whine and complain, while others make something positive out of it. This is what Tre appears to be doing, and I commend him for it.

Tony
Old 11-01-2001, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by edgalang

Oh crap. I though all this time we were talking about college. bah! you're lucky to even be driving in highschool.
Not to knock the guy while he's feeling down, but yup! I wasn't even close to being that fortunate. Matter of fact I wasn't able to drive any car on a daily basis until I was 21, and even then it was either my parent's car or my brother's...

You guys have/had it easy compared to me...

Tony
Old 11-01-2001, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

... A good hour long talk to the kid and give the kid sometime to figure it out... Eventually he will know better...
That may have worked well back in the old days, but given the direction many of today's youths appear to be heading towards--looks to me it doesn't appear to be working pretty well...and no, I'm not basing this just from watching all those family programs!

Tony
Old 11-01-2001, 09:57 PM
tre
Racer

its a private school.. Catholic High for Boys all guys... its not as bad as it sounds, theres a all girl school too so we mess wit them
anyways this school is a lot harder then some gay ass public school AP course, at least around here... we have kids that come over from public schools from AP courses and get C's and D's. We dont have AP courses, meat and potatoes is what its called haha

and the grading scale is
100-93 = A
92-85 = B
84-77 = C
76-70= D
below 70 is failing

the highest a person can get at our school is a 4.0
so a 3.0 is basically a B average.
i had like a 2.6 or somethin ,but i had a 84 on there so its like 1 pt away from a B oh well
Old 11-02-2001, 10:17 PM
tre
Racer

Unhappy

mannnn i got my clear bumper lights in today and i put them on this morning before school !
they look tight
i want to keep my car
Old 11-03-2001, 12:56 AM
Burning Brakes

While we're beating a dead horse...

There are several problems with your argument.

First, it's as though you are coming in at the end of the movie and trying to guess what went on earlier. What was left unstated was that his parents probably had an agreement that he got to drive the car IF his GPA was at least a 'B' (3.0). If indeed that's how things began then the "punishment" was self-inflicted IMO. The remedy is also just as clear: bring your GPA up to 3.0... and here are the keys again.

If one's man enough to take the keys... then one should also be man enough to endure the consequences of their actions.

Second, kids are motivated in different ways. The fact that this young man is posting his woes on this forum is a GOOD sign that HIS parents found the CORRECT motivating factor FOR HIM. And, to be quite honest, he seems very well adjusted (i.e. he realizes it was his fault) for his young years (I'm 38 and a Dad, by the way). For other kids it might be no basketball this season, or no Playstation 2 for this quarter. Whatever works.

Third, Tre's never posted why he missed by such a slim margin (and he doesn't have to). But I'm guessing that Tre might raise his "personal goal" a few points higher than 3.0 from now on. Perhaps he'll shoot for a 3.5 -- just in case!

Fourth, you are a very special case. Leaving home at 14... yikes! Let's just say there's a reason we don't kick kids out 'til they're at least 18. Hats off to you for surviving... let alone any successes you've made.

And lastly, until you have your own child -- and you finally realize that the little life looking up at you is TOTALLY dependant on you -- you are just having a theoretical conversation. Theoretical conversations are fun, sometimes even enlightening. But believe me -- reality is a bee-otch [slang intentional]. In my opinion this kid's parents are to be congratulated! They've almost churned out a normal, hardworking, caring human. Just a few more years to go...

And, Tre, most of us realize that Catholic School is tougher than most public schools. Catholic school is sorta like running with little weights on your legs. When you finally take them off you fly by most "regular" people. Just keep repeating to yourself: The more you learn... the more you earn!! If that doesn't motivate you then take a picture of your Acura keys and paste it to your books!

Later,

V.

P.S. Tre, start writing your posts like you do your English papers! You know -- capital letters, punctuation, good sentence structure! And stop slouching and sit up straight! (Ok, ok, I'm exiting Dad-mode now...)
Old 11-03-2001, 12:59 AM
Banned

Re: While we're beating a dead horse...

Originally posted by vperkins2

And, Tre, most of us realize that Catholic School is tougher than most public schools. Catholic school is sorta like running with little weights on your legs.
Ahhh private schools are for wusses . Try surviving public schools in SoCal, it really prepares you for life.
Old 11-03-2001, 01:11 AM
Burning Brakes

LOL I did go to public school in southern Cal. Riverside, to be exact!
Old 11-03-2001, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by UW TL
dude.... i had a 4.30 in high school.. including all the AP's....

4.7 here focker! Beat that
Old 11-03-2001, 11:45 AM
Instructor

4.7 here focker! Beat that
Sure!

4.9 Here and it should be around 5.1 around the end of the year! :p
Old 11-03-2001, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by matt7184

Sure!

4.9 Here and it should be around 5.1 around the end of the year! :p
How the hell? You can't go over 5. I would have a higher GPA but I'm only a junior and I have sports. Next year mine should be 4.9 .
Old 11-03-2001, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by tre

hope I get it back soon

-tre
Tre-
You may be avoiding the heart of the matter:

1. The only car you deserve to drive is the one you can pay for, yourself.

2. At your age, a good education is the best bet (probably the only one) you can make on your future ability to buy many an Acura.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:05 PM
tre
Racer

I don't deserve it ? lol I'm pretty sure you don't know me so how would you know if I deserved it or not ?
Also, It isn't like my car is a brand new or even remotely new.
It's a 96... my dad paid about 12k for it. Which is still a lot of money, but our family is pretty well off.

( I capitalized and whatnot, happy ? haha )
Old 11-03-2001, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by tre

hope I get it back soon

-tre
Get a job and BUY it so its YOURS and not spoon fed to u