My test drives

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 03:06 PM
On the way!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My test drives

I was in Las Vegas last weekend (4 day weekend), and stopped by a few dealers to test drive cars. I drove the 350Z (enthusiast version) and the G35 coupe (6 speed). The G35 coupe is definitely worth the extra couple of thousand over the 350Z. The worst three things about the 350 which do not apply to the G35.

1. No sunroof available
2. No back seat
3. Goofy strut in the middle of the back which severly limits 80% of what you might have wanted to put back there

I really liked the G35 coupe, but I decided that I really wouldn't want the 6 speed. The gear ratios are so close together, I usually just skipped 3rd and went from 2nd to 4th. I was seriously thinking about selling the TL-S and going for a coupe.... until I got back to Orlando.

When I got back, I picked up my car from off airport parking, and two of the parking attendants just stared down my car like it was the first one they'd ever seen. One guy even gave me the "nod of respect." When I got out on the street, I punched the gas and realized that my car - especially with my mods - feels much faster than that G did. Maybe it's all in my mind.

In any event, when I got back to town I quickly fell in love with the TL all over again!
Old 05-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol. good story.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

THAT is what I am talkin' 'bout
Old 05-23-2003, 05:15 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Man keep that TLS the G35 is not that much quicker all of these cars are very simililar in starightline performance. I was going to trade my TLS in for the 350 I had on order, but had a change of heart on delivery day despite all of the problems it has put my wife through. Its like it knows I was going to do that and got its act together and hasnt acted up since!
Old 05-23-2003, 05:36 PM
Advanced

I took out a G35 coupe (auto). It was nice to drive, but the back seat is a joke. My head was turned sideways and pressed against the back window when I sat in the back (I'm 6'1"). I also think the little analogue clocks they have look cheap. If I was going to do a G35, I'd probably look at the sedan (but those are kinda funny looking).
Old 05-24-2003, 01:34 AM
Instructor

i guess every car has its flaws
Old 05-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Racer

Originally posted by s0ph3aktra
i guess every car has its flaws

Yep. Not much is perfect--even those "perfect" cars have one big failing--the PRICE TAG!
While it is true the G35 coupe in automatic is a little faster stock than an Acura, the car does not have the same sexy sound when you hit the throttle. Our Acuras sound great right out of the box!
Old 05-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Instructor

Re: My test drives

Originally posted by fla-tls
I was in Las Vegas last weekend (4 day weekend), and stopped by a few dealers to test drive cars. I drove the 350Z (enthusiast version) and the G35 coupe (6 speed). The G35 coupe is definitely worth the extra couple of thousand over the 350Z. The worst three things about the 350 which do not apply to the G35.

1. No sunroof available
2. No back seat
3. Goofy strut in the middle of the back which severly limits 80% of what you might have wanted to put back there

I really liked the G35 coupe, but I decided that I really wouldn't want the 6 speed. The gear ratios are so close together, I usually just skipped 3rd and went from 2nd to 4th. I was seriously thinking about selling the TL-S and going for a coupe.... until I got back to Orlando.

When I got back, I picked up my car from off airport parking, and two of the parking attendants just stared down my car like it was the first one they'd ever seen. One guy even gave me the "nod of respect." When I got out on the street, I punched the gas and realized that my car - especially with my mods - feels much faster than that G did. Maybe it's all in my mind.

In any event, when I got back to town I quickly fell in love with the TL all over again!
FLA-TLS,

I'm new to the forum. I live in Orlando though. Let's meet....holla @ me via e-mail at onerastaman@hotmail.com
Old 05-27-2003, 11:42 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I know exactly what you mean!!! I drove one for the h=ll of it a few months ago, and have run one on the street...They aren't as fast as I would have thought. The mods send our car over the edge and keep us in their ballpark...

Glad you decided to stick with your Acura! I'm thinking of getting the pullies and/or A'pexi vafc shortly and will let you know how much more 'oomph' I get!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:11 PM
On the way!

Hey r10apple, do you recall that crappy 1/4 mile time I had a few months ago? Well, we're going back out to the track tomorrow night.

I figured that it might have been the gas I was using, since the car just didn't feel like it was accelerating as hard as it has in the past. It seems to do better with certain tankfulls (like that Shell gas I got during my trip to Tampa). I cleaned out my CAI filter (wasn't that bad) and put some octane booster in the car just to make sure the octane's where it needs to be. I've run it about 1/2 tank that way so the computer is adjusted, and it's definitely got that kick back. It's back to acting like a freakin' rocket... Complete with some chirping into 2nd.

I'm not going to constantly buy octane booster, but if this gains me some tenths (not asking too much - just hoping for 14.5), I'll definitely switch gas stations (usually use two near my house) to see how that might help.

I'll post my times.

I got your PM, Onerastaman and will respond back.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:15 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Sweet!!! I'll be very interested to see what they are in this heat...I'd like to run some higher octane gas to see what happens out of simple curiosity...
I'm probably gonna order the new parts from Speedzone there, but may get them installed up here. I still wanna see how they programmed Vishal's v-afc before messing with that! Maybe I'll come run with you later in June!!!