My Straight Pipes Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
My Straight Pipes Sound.

Just to share my Straight Pipes sound

Always wanted a catback just for the sound and not so much for the performance gains so I could not justify the 1K drop on it only for the sound. So I decided to delete the dual muffler and keep the Resonator + Mid Muffler to keep drone and rasp at bay. I don't think this specific Setup is much done (Or Recorded) since most just go to Full Straight Pipes or just remove the mid muffler.

Video Description:
"A very small (Made at Night so Kept Short) sound test for my 2002 TL-S with removed Stock Dual Muffler Setup and replacing it with Straight 2.5" Pipes into Dual DC Sports 4" Exhaust Tips, The Stock Mid Muffler and The Stock Resonator are still in place the Pipes from the Cat to Y-Pipe are still TL-S Stock Pipes.
Made for Sound Reference hoping this might help anyone trying to get a better sound from their TLs but don't want to spend big bucks on the ATLP Catback, TSUDO Axleback or going full Custom for the 2G TL.

As you can Hear the sound is deep with a very slight backfire sound but there isn't any hint of RASP to it, This in total cost 80 bucks to do.

Any questions you can check out the Acurazine.com Forums.
The video was recorded from a Nikon D5100 which has a MONO Internal Mic but the sound is almost identical in person."

This is the Result:
I covered my Plate but we already know I live in San Diego hehehe YouTube don't so Shhhh!!

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-10-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:38 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the exact same set up and i love it
Old 10-10-2014, 02:45 AM

^ I love the fact is silent when I don't want to wake up neighbors but loud when I step on it, which was the thing missing from the OEM sound specially when doing Touge (Mountain Cross).
Old 10-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol yes exactly no nasty drone when your sitting there but once you get on it...
Old 10-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish I could do this. Here in Montreal it's illegal.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
If I hack off the mufflers it wont affect emissions right?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
1999 4at

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KatabaticSaint
hahaha ... sometimes i don't know if you're joking ... but i like you nonetheless lol
Old 10-10-2014, 12:00 PM
1999 4at

...and for those that really want to save money, the same can be done for >>>FREE<<< by simply unbolting your mufflers in all of maybe 5 minutes. nothing coming out of the 2 muffler tip spaces on the bumper, but you'll have a cool stealth look!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dabu
I wish I could do this. Here in Montreal it's illegal.
I don't know the exact db's but this in theory is also illegal here in Cali. Yeah I'm living in the edge of law like a boss.

Originally Posted by KatabaticSaint
Nope, Mufflers are there to reduce sound not to do the Cats job.

Originally Posted by skwidstyle2
...and for those that really want to save money, the same can be done for >>>FREE<<< by simply unbolting your mufflers in all of maybe 5 minutes. nothing coming out of the 2 muffler tip spaces on the bumper, but you'll have a cool stealth look!!!
Not really the same, Without mufflers you will have x10 times the drone that if you install the straight pipes to the back. The resonant the Y Pipe do by aiming at the rear wheel wells is a bitch and not a final test of how it will sound once you install the pipes to the back.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:58 PM
1999 4at

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Not really the same, Without mufflers you will have x10 times the drone that if you install the straight pipes to the back. The resonant the Y Pipe do by aiming at the rear wheel wells is a bitch and not a final test of how it will sound once you install the pipes to the back.
... by just unbolting the rear mufflers, it sounds exactly the same as your setup or even a bit quiter ... drone not even a remote thought. & i'm not just assuming, it's by experience as i drove around like that for a few weeks in between stock & custom setup. ...maybe you thought i meant also the mid muff & resonator (which cannot be just easily unbolted in 5 min though).
Old 10-10-2014, 01:04 PM

I drove for 1 month straight without mufflers only before pulling the trigger into paying for the straight pipes. It just doesn't sound the same at all loud wise!, The sound is louder because it comes out from the sides of the car but the drone is a shit ton more present and my wife can attest to it as she said "Is there something wrong with your car?" The moment we hit hwy speeds noticing the heavy drone at 2.5-3K. Very disappointing when I was trying for her to notice the sound only not the hideous drone, for me at least there is a night and day difference between just unbolting the mufflers and doing the full job. Sound? Nobody is arguing about the sound signature just to clear that out without mufflers only it's even louder! But the drone you get is very annoying. Straight Pipes kills the drone but also quiets down some of the sound, still louder than stock though.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-10-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Perhaps my edit didn't come out but my whole point:
No Mufflers Only = Louder, Much more Drone, Pretty annoying in Hwy/City, Badass at WOT.
Straight Pipes = Quieter, Almost no Drone, Perfect all Rounder.

Sound Signature = The Same.
So for 80 bucks killing that drone was totally worth it.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:05 PM
1999 4at

Perhaps my edit didn't come out but my whole point:
No Mufflers Only = Louder, Much more Drone, Pretty annoying in Hwy/City, Badass at WOT.
Straight Pipes = Quieter, Almost no Drone, Perfect all Rounder.

Sound Signature = The Same.
So for 80 bucks killing that drone was totally worth it.
dude ... im gonna put my oem exhaust back on without the mufflers & take a video of it ... it sounds 99% like yours - if there's a minimal difference it is ONLY QUIETER i guarantee you. drone? absolutely zero percent as in NONE - ZERO DRONE ... not sure what was making yours sound so drastically different than mine with just a rear muffler(s) delete.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
My mid - muffler & resonator removal sounds just like that, too... I like it and I don't ever take my car out & wot it, just a nice rumble/burble around town and the highway drone is easily drowned out by the stereo. To each their own
Old 10-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Illegal in your state

For those who say it's illegal to do in your state, do they give loud bikes with straight pipes a pass?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 PM

dude ... im gonna put my oem exhaust back on without the mufflers & take a video of it ... it sounds 99% like yours - if there's a minimal difference it is ONLY QUIETER i guarantee you. drone? absolutely zero percent as in NONE - ZERO DRONE ... not sure what was making yours sound so drastically different than mine with just a rear muffler(s) delete.

No Mufflers and Y-Pipe only is louder and drone a lot not because I'm trying to sell you this notion or "convince you" but because I actually LIVED IT, This is my Experience. But I will try to explain why there is a difference vs Straight Pipes.

The Volume explained:
The fact the Sound reach the driver more easily from the side than the back of the car, Giving the impression of being "louder" but it isn't. Once the straight pipes are attached the sound is directed to the rear of the car (Away from the Driver) thus "Quieter" while driving.

The Drone can be easily explained:
The Y-PIPE has no hanger at all it actually hangs by itself if you remove the Mufflers so they rely solely on the mid muffler hanger to stay in place, This allows for a lot more exhaust movement than stock = Drone (Which is Exhaust Vibration).
Once I installed the Straight Pipes and added the extra support for them with the Stock Muffler Hangers the drone was almost completely removed.

You can record a video and show me how it sounds the same and all but that wasn't my point at all.. I actually said the Sound Signature is the Same (Deep with No Rasp) so you will record that but you will be missing the point entirely.

Hope this Helps you Buddy.

Originally Posted by tripleguy
For those who say it's illegal to do in your state, do they give loud bikes with straight pipes a pass?

Man in Cali even thinking of Modding your shit is illegal... Loud Bikes? = Free ride to County.

Last edited by Skirmich; 10-10-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
no emmisions here in cali yet for bikes. It can be as loud as you want it and you're fine.

NO this does not AFFECT EMISSIONS.

Anything after the cat you can mess with. Think about it. How would a resonator, mid muffler, and the two mufflers affect the exhaust passing by? NOTHING. It affects sound and is only restrictive due to the piping diameter.

You can literally have an exhaust leak right after your cat and pass emissions.

Here's my video again, I'm surprised at how many views it has. You'll see a big sound difference once it starts warming up.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 PM

^ Yeah It sounds the same.. When cold is pretty quiet but once you warm up the sound shifts into Deep Awesomeness and its noticed in your video too
Old 10-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Drifting

lol yep. I never really noticed the sound change until i first watched this video. the only thing that sucks (imo) is that the piping doesn't really matter during Vtec because all you really hear is the motor
Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ive got the best. Stock mufflers AND straight pipe thru the mufflers (all exhaust passes thru the mufflers. Just about as quiet as stock (having true dual no cat, resonator, midmuffler) normal driving, straight pipe sound at wot (or when i flip a switch)
Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Flippin' switches ???, hmm !!!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Drifting

I have a friend who had a CL with an electric cutout, too bad he sold it

Now he has a CLS 6 speed, with a couple bolt ons now.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 PM
1999 4at

No Mufflers and Y-Pipe only is louder and drone a lot not because I'm trying to sell you this notion or "convince you" but because I actually LIVED IT, This is my Experience. But I will try to explain why there is a difference vs Straight Pipes.

The Volume explained:
The fact the Sound reach the driver more easily from the side than the back of the car, Giving the impression of being "louder" but it isn't. Once the straight pipes are attached the sound is directed to the rear of the car (Away from the Driver) thus "Quieter" while driving.

The Drone can be easily explained:
The Y-PIPE has no hanger at all it actually hangs by itself if you remove the Mufflers so they rely solely on the mid muffler hanger to stay in place, This allows for a lot more exhaust movement than stock = Drone (Which is Exhaust Vibration).
Once I installed the Straight Pipes and added the extra support for them with the Stock Muffler Hangers the drone was almost completely removed.

You can record a video and show me how it sounds the same and all but that wasn't my point at all.. I actually said the Sound Signature is the Same (Deep with No Rasp) so you will record that but you will be missing the point entirely.

Hope this Helps you Buddy.
...you can explain any type of theory you want & im not trying to argue with you, im simply stating what i know to be a 100% fact, because i TOO lived it ... my exhaust, with simply taking off the rear mufflers, sounds absolutely no louder than yours what so ever ... actually i believe it is quieter, and there is 100% ZERO drone. don't take it as a negative thing or me trying to be rude, but no matter how you try to theorize or explain it, at least my car, for whatever reason, sounds extremely clean & even of a good quality with simply taking off the rear mufflers ... & yes, for the last time, very near or only QUIETER than yours. ... i mean no big deal, it's just that you're trying to get theoretical with a theory that may make sense to you with your explanation, yet simply holds untrue.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:09 AM

^ Ok.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Drifting

...you can explain any type of theory you want & im not trying to argue with you, im simply stating what i know to be a 100% fact, because i TOO lived it ... my exhaust, with simply taking off the rear mufflers, sounds absolutely no louder than yours what so ever ... actually i believe it is quieter, and there is 100% ZERO drone. don't take it as a negative thing or me trying to be rude, but no matter how you try to theorize or explain it, at least my car, for whatever reason, sounds extremely clean & even of a good quality with simply taking off the rear mufflers ... & yes, for the last time, very near or only QUIETER than yours. ... i mean no big deal, it's just that you're trying to get theoretical with a theory that may make sense to you with your explanation, yet simply holds untrue.
Probably because you have a TL-P and have smaller piping. :gheyfight:

Yes there is drone starting at 2.5k rpm-3k as Skirmich stated. Not too sure if you know what drone is though, I hope you do.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:33 AM

Even now there is drone at 50% Throttle in that same area (2.5K-3K).
Is not annoying but still present.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Flippin' switches ???, hmm !!!
There is a vacuum operated valve on each muffler (much like the corvette/porsche/ferrari use) controlled by a solenoid. At a specific tps voltage the solenoid opens opening each valve allowing exhaust gasses to pass straight thru the muffler unbaffled/unrestricted. I also have a switch to open them manually if i want. Other wise the exhaust is for the most part stock sounding.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
^^^ Wow !!! Gotta love today's electronic toys and technology.
Back in the day, the muscle cars with headers.....could manually open a bypass cut-out.

Same basic thought process and end result, without the solenoids and stuff. Very cool !!!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:35 PM
1999 4at

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
Probably because you have a TL-P and have smaller piping. :gheyfight:
... yes i factored in that he more than likely knew that already, being that he has responded to a few of my posts before having already mentioned that i own a 99'.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 PM
1999 4at

^ Ok.
... and skirm its no big deal bro my bad if i came off as jerk-ish lol didn't mean to ... i was more frustrated like "ugh it simply sounds different to me than what he is describing" ... know what i mean refried bean???!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:35 PM

^ Don't sweat it buddy.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
waste of time.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 AM

^ Sorry for Wasting your Precious Time
Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
There is a vacuum operated valve on each muffler (much like the corvette/porsche/ferrari use) controlled by a solenoid. At a specific tps voltage the solenoid opens opening each valve allowing exhaust gasses to pass straight thru the muffler unbaffled/unrestricted. I also have a switch to open them manually if i want. Other wise the exhaust is for the most part stock sounding.
This is on your CL? That's sweet. If I'm not mistaken, the RL has something similar to this except it uses high pressure from the engine at WOT to actuate a valve to enhance both sound and performance. Much like the ZR1 Vette....
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1

Why going all that trouble? The Straight Pipes are really not that loud in low RPMs but get boss when WOT with no need for electronics and stuff.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:26 PM
1999 4at

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
... It can be as loud as you want it and you're fine. ...

Horrible info for anyone wanting to stay legal in Cali & avoid a fix it ticket ... here's the basics of Cali exhaust/noise law... "Exhaust Noise Limits: California regulations contain a number of sections specifying permissible vehicle noise levels. The Bulletin advises that passenger car exhaust systems [Q9] that comply with the requirements of Section 1036(d)(1), 13 CCR are deemed to comply with Vehicle Code enforcement Sections 27150 and 27151, governing mufflers and exhaust system modifications. [Q10]. The exhaust noise provisions in 1036(d)(1) establish a limit of 95 dB(A) measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe outlet with the engine operating in neutral, at a specified speed typically between 3000 and 5000 rpm (see regulations for details). [Q9]. Exhaust system modifications are permitted to increase noise above the level of original factory installed systems as long as the 95-decibel limit is not exceeded."

Enforcement Guidelines

Drivers will be cited with vehicles that:

1) are not equipped with a muffler

2) clearly emit an offensive, harsh, excessive noise, or

3) have a clearly defective exhaust systems (holes, leaks, etc.)
Old 10-13-2014, 12:41 AM

^ indeed... It sucks so hard to do anything fun in Cali. That's why I'm in love of straight pipes when riding at low speed it's all Stealth Mode.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
hahaha ... sometimes i don't know if you're joking ... but i like you nonetheless lol
With a name like muffler it sounds like it would certainly affect emissions.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Why going all that trouble? The Straight Pipes are really not that loud in low RPMs but get boss when WOT with no need for electronics and stuff.
Not that loud??? with a OEM pipe setup sure, but I DONT have a cat, there are NO mid mufflers or resonators, its DUAL 2.25 pipe from the headers back and soon it will be tied to long tube headers that dont Y together like the headers available for our cars. That is why i went thru all the trouble. Even with the comptech mufflers on the drone is annoying and with the comptech quiet tip inserts in its still on the annoying side on the hwy.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

And this is with the OEM pipe, and cat, there is no mid muffler or resonator. These are the comptech mufflers with the loud tip inserts (making them straight pipe and it bypasses any of the baffling) Oh, and its back when i was auto and before the 3.7 which has a much different tone.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 10-13-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: My Straight Pipes Sound.