My sidemarkers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 02:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My sidemarkers

Hope that topic subject doesn't draw too many haters.

I don't have sidemarkers yet but am thinking of doing it next weekend. I was surpirsed at the meet to hear everyone moan when I mentioned it. I don't think they would look that riced, especially if they don't stick out very much.

Whats your opinion?

------------------
Alumapro BP-10, ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), burlwood dash kit and shift knob, factory spoiler, factory body kit, Inspire tails.
------------------
<A HREF="http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000106.html" TARGET=_blank> Nate's ride!</A>
Old 11-20-2000, 02:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, the less stuff on a car the beter IMO. I was tempted to take the Acura and 3.2TL emblems off the back myself...

If ya wanna put more lights on the car - try putting some turn lights on, the ones that illuminate the side of the road when you activate yer turn signal on that side. Some nicer luxo cars have that, and I wish the TL did.

------------------
'01 pearlescent white
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 11-20-2000, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

I can have the sidemarkers blink to the blinker. I could probably have the sidemarkers blink when the blinker is in between blinks.

I took off my 3.2TL and just today I put a 3.2TL emblem on each side of my ride, right underneath the rear doors, on the kit, about an inch from the rear tire well. Not sure if I like it, I can always take it off.
Old 11-20-2000, 02:37 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think sideblinkers are nice. GUess its your matter of preference to have them blink with your signal lights...etc....

I would get them...just too lazy now.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:13 AM
Burning Brakes

The turn lights I suggested are perhaps not what you think they are.

Think like the bright white reverse light that's on the rear when you go into reverse, but instead that lights up on the corresponding side when you actuate the turn signal. It helps you see to where you are turning. Functional; not really meant to be aesthetic.

------------------
'01 pearlescent white
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 11-20-2000, 01:55 PM
Safety Car

Oh, hmm... I'm not able to picture those for some reason.
Old 11-20-2000, 02:10 PM
Instructor

The lights that Gomez is talking about were at one time offered on the RLs, I am not sure if they still are. I am not sure how they would look on the TL because they were a little on the big side, but I always thought they would be helpful.

------------------
99 Silver TL, Navi, Foglights,
Looking for 18s
Old 11-20-2000, 06:09 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

If you think side markers would look nice on YOUR car then DO IT! Now I wouldn't suggest putting in bright blue, green or purple lights for your side markers but that is my own personal preference.

Side markers are functional and I happen to like them whenever I see them on the European Volvo's, BMW's, Benze's, Audi's, etc...

I think too many people worry about what OTHER people will think of their car. Do you ask everyone on the web board before you get your hair cut or buy a new pair of shoes? Your car should be no different! If you like, buy it!

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 170HP & 160ft/lbs
- Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 7.2 sec (G-Tech) [with intake/pulleys]
Old 11-20-2000, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

Smile

No doubt. Like I said, I don't think it would look bad on my TL. They are functional and would help to make my ride more unique.

I'm just curious as to what people have against them... I don't see how they'd be considered ricey. The A6, S4, 540i, and M5 all have sidemarkers.

It is a discussion forum after all.
Old 11-20-2000, 07:54 PM
Pro

Make sure they are water proof and there is no possiblity for corrosion to start where you cut the holes. I think they look nice, just not for me.

------------------
2000 Fire Pepper Red/ebony TL, non-navi. factory spoiler, std chrome wheels, 35% tint, comptech exhaust, wood trim kit...
Quiets ride
Old 11-20-2000, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmm. i dont know. if you get the right ones, it should look clean. make sure they dont extrude too much. if youve got a coupla hundred dollars sitting around, have a shop 'bevel' them in. so that they are flush with the body. that would be stock, but its overkill.

gomez was talking about dimmed out headlights that only go on when you put the signal light on. the inspire has them as an option, tons of american cars have them..new caddys, chevy ventures.

what color lens/bulb?
Old 11-20-2000, 10:06 PM
Racer

just got oilchanged at 3000....

------------------
Bad ass TL...but...
Cant afford Mods.....
Old 11-20-2000, 10:10 PM
Racer

oops thats for another post... i mean i think sidemakers look good...especially on TL

------------------
Bad ass TL...but...
Cant afford Mods.....
Old 11-20-2000, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

Flush with the body would be awesome! I'll have to look into that.

As for what color... probably a white lense that blinks yellow. The lense would match the Inspire tails and it would look strange, I think, if the sidemarker blinked a different color than the other lights.

I'll go check out R-Sports and see what they can do for me, see if I can find a sidemarker I like.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:52 PM

Bottom line:
If the sidemarkers light up w/ your parking lights so your car looks like a friggin Christmas tree, that's rice.
If the sidemarkers blink w/ your turn signal like most overseas cars do, that's not rice.

The I N S P I R E comes with Euro/Japanese spec sidemarkers anyway!

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 11-21-2000, 10:56 PM

Thumbs up

BTW, I got the E-46 style & they look swoot!

------------------
Platinum's whip.
Old 11-22-2000, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by platinumTL:
Bottom line:
If the sidemarkers light up w/ your parking lights so your car looks like a friggin Christmas tree, that's rice.
If the sidemarkers blink w/ your turn signal like most overseas cars do, that's not rice.

The I N S P I R E comes with Euro/Japanese spec sidemarkers anyway!

yeah, but a lot of sidemarkers on cars are lit with the parkings...range rover..
Old 11-22-2000, 12:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

another idea. i think it would look clean if you put it in the side molding on the front fender. like bmw's. it would look soo integrated. too bad its still going through the sheet metal though
Old 11-22-2000, 04:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Check this idea out! Don't try to turn a Jap car into a Euro wannabe. Sorry. Personally, I think all that mercades blinker mirror shit is junk. It's all yelling look at me! I was thinking, place a neon blue tube or a point light under the side skirt of the car on each side. That way, when u blink, a glow will blink from the ground. It would make the car look in tune with the road. Please don't yell at me...
Old 11-22-2000, 04:18 AM
Burning Brakes

I think sidemarkers are ok.... but I couldn't drill holes into my baby. HOW COULD YOU?? YOU DON'T LOVE HER ANYMORE??? Heh..... I'd spend money on clearing your headlights or gettin Inspire lights if I were you. Those two togerther makes a nice upgrade to your TL. And after that, get like a Supra spoiler or something.... HEhe...
Old 11-22-2000, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

sidemarker are cool, i think. As long as it only blinks with the signals and don't look too obvious.

------------------

2001 Acura 3.2TL w/ Navi Black ext. Ebony int., Sunroof Visor,
35% Smoke Metallic Tint, Burlwood Shiftknob and more to come!
Old 11-23-2000, 04:34 AM
Safety Car

Hey, much thanks to everyone for their opinions!

I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it, once (if?) I find the ones I like. Probably I'll check out some this weekend. I'll let ya'll know what happens.
Old 11-23-2000, 08:26 PM
Pro

hey nate...
i got sidemarkers on mine a while back... i love em.
i put in a halogen bulb in them or whatever, so it's not that orange crap... and i had them running at first, when i put my parking lights on... then i had it so it's on and it also blinks, and now i just have it blinking... i decided that too many civics have them running all the time and from far away i guess i just look like another civic.
how can people think side markers are cheap if all expensive european cars are equiped with them... even the cheaper ones too.
i guess they are also safe, so i like them... they come in use on the high way, that way people know i'm getting in that lane, so they back off
get them dude, they are cool

------------------
99' TL, Silver, Comtech springs, Side markers, Factory kit, Ractive air filter, Tips, Mirror tint, Factory Spoiler, Moonroof visor, Burlwood shift knob, and of course my inspire lights. and also, some cool looking pedals.
Old 11-24-2000, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

how do you get them to ONLY blink? how do you wire that?
Old 11-24-2000, 01:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by mr tl:
how do you get them to ONLY blink? how do you wire that?
I haven't gotten that far but would be good to know... TommyAmrani?
Old 11-24-2000, 01:44 AM
Racer

i've been thinking of getting them as well but less of a style statement and more for safety .. there are way too many blind people on the road .. my initial attraction to them was wehn a jetta or something was changing lanes and i wouldnt know about it if it wasnt for the sidemarker .. and i think it's only ricey if they have hyper-super-extra bright rice blue bulbs in them. if it's a clear lens with a regular yellow/orange bulb, it's fine .. of course cutting the car is painful

------------------
-Fiddler
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe
Old 11-24-2000, 02:29 AM
Pro

mr tl, nate... sorry guys... i really don't know about the wiring... i had the place that install them do it for me. at first they told me i can either have it on, or blink, that's why i changed it around, then after they did my friends integra to stay on AND blink, i took mine back... so i guess ask the place that does it to wire it so it just blinks... i guess it has to be wired to whatever makes the parking light blink w/out it actually being on...
i know i wasn't much help, but hope i helped some?

------------------
99' TL, Silver, Comtech springs, Side markers, Factory kit, Ractive air filter, Tips, Mirror tint, Factory Spoiler, Moonroof visor, Burlwood shift knob, and of course my inspire lights. and also, some cool looking pedals.
Old 11-25-2000, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Talking

I think to make it just blink you would wire it into the turn signals, no? This is kinda oblvious, I guess. Anyway, I would definitely put them on my TL. Makes it look better, but don't keep them on, just have them blink, like the expensive, audi's and bm's.

------------------

Old 11-25-2000, 08:40 PM
Pro

Smile

Most of the Asia Model and Euro Model Hondas have sidemarkers, and they serve a cool function...especially when you are changing lanes. I think they look great, but it should definitely be a personal choice. My S2000 has them, my 94 Accord had them and my 92 Integra had them. They were great b/c people knew you were about to change lanes. I highly recommend them. I would see if you can find Honda "stock" lights or have some recessed so they look stock. Just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro

posted by bdimc2001:
I think to make it just blink you would wire it into the turn signals, no? This is kinda oblvious, I guess. Anyway, I would definitely put them on my TL. Makes it look better, but don't keep them on, just have them blink, like the expensive, audi's and bm's.
but to wire to the turn signals, don't you wire to the parking lights as well???
therefore i chose not to answer that question... since i'm not that sure of myself

------------------
99'TL Satin Silver Metalic Non/Nav
Comtech springs
Side markers
Gutter guard grille including bottom three slots too
Ractive air filter
3" Tips
Mirror tint
Factory Spoiler
Moonroof visor
Burlwood shift knob
Inspire tail lights
Some cool looking pedals

VERY soon to come:
WW Kit, Wood Kit, Hyper White Lights (brights, rear and front signals as well)
Old 11-25-2000, 11:53 PM
Suzuka Master

well, it was just a thought. I'm not too sure either, but i still do like the sidemarkers, plus, i don't really care, i won't do the install, let the pros figure that out.

------------------

Old 11-26-2000, 01:55 AM
Drifting

IMHO, I would like the sidemarkers to stay lit and flash with the signal also. It's more visible that way.

Where are you planning on putting it? I think you should put them lower part of the front-side fender. Your car would look low that way.

Personally, I had a hard time watching them cut a hole in my ex-car. I will not be able to stand watching it again done to my TL.

------------------
Y2K silver TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
38% window tint
Valentine 1
Old 11-26-2000, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

Planning on putting them somewhere between the front door and the front wheel, on the fender of course.

Once you've seen you're TL water-logged a few holes don't seem so bad.
Old 11-26-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro

hey nate... put em up right where the line goes through the car... right below it... like on the value tl i think it is... you know what i'm talkin about... ahead of he front doors of course, right below that crese or whatever you wanna call it... that's what i did... once again... if it's always on, it looks too much like a "riced" out civic... just make em blink

------------------
99'TL Satin Silver Metalic Non/Nav
Comtech springs
Side markers
Gutter guard grille including bottom three slots too
Ractive air filter
3" Tips
Mirror tint
Factory Spoiler
Moonroof visor
Burlwood shift knob
Inspire tail lights
Some cool looking pedals

VERY soon to come:
WW Kit, Wood Kit, Hyper White Lights (brights, rear and front signals as well)