My second battle with a Lincon LS V8, and i'm not happy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My second battle with a Lincon LS V8, and i'm not happy!

I allways thought of the G35 and the Maxima as the TL-S enemy so to speak. But now I've had it with the LS. I got embarresed on the Garden State Parkway last month. I was minding my own business when a tinted out V8 LS was passing me and than started to slow down and stay next to me. He was next to me for a few seconds and than punched it. So I thought I was gonna eat him up (according to R&T mag they are a bit slower than us). We stayed neck and neck amd just as he started to pull on me I came up behind a car and had to slow down. A mile later I passed him and than got over a lane to give him some room. I tapped the brakes a little to wait for him. BIG mistake! He blew by me like I was standing still, I punched it but there was no catching him. Now last night, some old guy with his wife and kid in the car and a temp on the back window was giving me the look at a light. It was a two lane road but across the inter section my lane ends and it goes to one. To make a long really long storie a bit shorter, we went at it neck and neck and I ran out of room first. Had to hit the brakes and get behind him. I think I'm done messin around with the Lincon!
Old 08-14-2002, 06:08 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should not have a problem with a LS, even if it's a V8. They run 0-60 in like 7.1 secs. That $hit is slow as hell for a V8. Now on the highway it might be a different story cause V8 can pull on the highway. Even then you should give him a good fight, especially when VTEC kicks in. How fast were you going on the GSP? As far as taking off from a light, you should have whooped his a$$. Unless you were looking at his wife when he took off.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:12 PM
On the way!

Looking at the road tests and specs of the LS and considering you have an TL-S, I don't see why you would have a problem with the LS (especially from a dead stop).

0-60 = 7.2 -7.3
1/4 mile in 15 sec.

It looks like this thing is a relative brick off the line, but accelerates at highway speeds quite well.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

We were doing 75 on the GSP before we started to play we got up near 100 (kinda stupid I know!). Like I said we were neck and neck for a few, but them V8's at high speeds have a lot more tourqe. I should not have touched the brake at all because while I thought I was waiting for him he was probobly allready flooring it. As for the light I would have had him if I didn't run out of room. I just haven't had a good clean shot at an LS yet. Its so frustrating. I know we're faster, but now there is a couple of guys out there in LS's that now think they can dog a TLS.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:38 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by JPTLS21
We were doing 75 on the GSP before we started to play we got up near 100 (kinda stupid I know!). Like I said we were neck and neck for a few, but them V8's at high speeds have a lot more tourqe. I should not have touched the brake at all because while I thought I was waiting for him he was probobly allready flooring it. As for the light I would have had him if I didn't run out of room. I just haven't had a good clean shot at an LS yet. Its so frustrating. I know we're faster, but now there is a couple of guys out there in LS's that now think they can dog a TLS.
75 mph, you were in the perfect spot, like in high 2nd gear or in 3rd gear. You should have beaten him. V8's usually pull after triple digits speed.

About braking, the same $hit happened to me. I was playing around with a millenia once on the GSP going down the shore. After I beat him, I slowed down by braking a little thinking he had enough. Then out of nowhere I saw him coming up fast, so I just stepped on it. Needless to say he passed me cause of his momentum but eventually I caught up and passed him again.

Oh and don't worry, there are TL-S guys out there thinking they can beat an e46 M3.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Pro

Which gear were you in when you got going?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:18 PM
Instructor

firstly, I thought "pulling" reffered to upshifting not "pulling away from" your opponent... and there is a contest to see who has to "pull" first... secondly, even though the LSv8 is slower, it is a v8 rear-wheel drive car (if memory serves), therefore it has a better laid out driving dynamic for quick starts. And the tl-s driver could just be a bad driver no offense man... but you gotta represent and don't hold back... if I see someone trying to toy with me I just blast to about 110mph and then it's obvious I've won... they can pass me afterwards if they choose...

blackshadow- lol, I beat a ferrari the other day, smoked him...
Old 08-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Racer

Nothing's more lame than a "ricer fly-by"!
Did you hear a whine as he did his fly by or when you were next to him? He might've had a blowed, as there are a few different s/c's for Lincolns. It's possible if he past you with ease.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:48 PM
Dr. TLS

My friend in Florida has beaten a V8 LS with his V6 Accord in a 0-60 stoplight race. I didn't think we had anything to worry about but I guess it all makes sense. The LS looks heavy and probably is heavy and that's why 0-60 is slow. But when momentum is on your side at higher speeds, I would imagine it could be a close one.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:42 AM
Racer

You guys are thinking stock. There are some nice mods out for these cars.
Old 08-15-2002, 02:51 AM
...and then there was One

Yep, V8's can pull at speed. Like everyone else, I am not sure why you didn't take him off the line. Can you power brake? What rpm do you launch at? Tire spin?

Oh, and aftermarket for the LS... just wait until McLarren starts playing with them!
Old 08-15-2002, 05:00 AM
Instructor

I am the guy who had my TLs stolen. I am driving an LS now and I think it is slower than my 03 TLS.

The torque is not there and even for an especially heavier car I am no impressed with it

Thank god its a renta!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SimTypeS
Yep, V8's can pull at speed. Like everyone else, I am not sure why you didn't take him off the line. Can you power brake? What rpm do you launch at? Tire spin?

Oh, and aftermarket for the LS... just wait until McLarren starts playing with them!
From the line I could smoke him but the itersection was very small. If I had another 50-60 feet I would of blew by him. I don't want to drive the poor guy and his familly into oncomeing traffic. I was just expressing the frustration of not getting a good opportunity to smoke a car that I know I'm faster than. As for the parkway incident, that S.O.B was gone....... It could not have been stock, thats for sure.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:07 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Our 4th and 5th gears are overdrive gears. When you go up against a V8 at high speeds, TLS are at a disadvantage. However, from a dead stop you should not have had any problems, unless your reaction time was slow.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah at high speeds(over 90) the Type S engine gives up alot. It's the trade off for better off the line the performance. The top end has to suffer.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Avoid racing from 60mph or so. It's a dead spot in our power
band. Won't shift to 2nd and too low in 3rd.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,150 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally posted by DAY Type S
I am the guy who had my TLs stolen. I am driving an LS now and I think it is slower than my 03 TLS.

The torque is not there and even for an especially heavier car I am no impressed with it

Thank god its a renta!!!!!!!!!!
Your car must have the V6, not the V8 we're talking about. The V8 has tons and tons of torque.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

"...Now last night, some old guy with his wife and kid in the car and a temp on the back window was giving me the look at a light...."

Are you sure he gave you "the look"?
Old 08-15-2002, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

...It was a two lane road but across the inter section my lane ends and it goes to one. To make a long really long storie a bit shorter, we went at it neck and neck and I ran out of room first. Had to hit the brakes and get behind him. I think I'm done messin around with the Lincon!
So you had to get in behind him because you ran out of room first--does that necessarily mean you lost? If you were slightly behind him when you ran out of room, so what? Maybe if you had a few hundred or so more feet of room you may have eventually passed him. And if you were slightly ahead instead? Well, you were ahead at the moment you ran out of room; should a kill be a kill only if you can cut someoff at the pass, so to speak? Why do some people think that, just because on paper (or from previous experience) their car should be able to beat another car, that they should actually be able to do so no matter what the situation. Even if a TL-S can beat a Lincoln LS, should that mean that the TL-S should have been able to get in front of the Lincoln before he ran out of room in his lane first? Put it another way--if it was a quarter-mile sprint and your lane merges into the other lane at the end of the quarter-mile, I would somehow doubt (and I could be wrong here) that a TL-S in the shorter lane would be able to clearly merge in front of the LS in such a scenario. Anyways, I think you get the idea here...
Old 08-15-2002, 05:46 PM

Hmmm, typical magazine racer(s). I got a good friend with a Lincoln LS V-8. I did not think much of the car until I rode in it. It convinced me to ask him to push it. It is a really good car, great handling, quiet, decent suspension. At speed it feels real strong. It is the American car to get, IMO.
Fact, Road and Track also got a 0-60 run of 7 sec in a TL-S, it is quite possible he has a faster car, maybe your was built on Friday and his was built on payday.
I am sure a LS V-8 can get right under 7 sec in the 0-60 sprint, maybe we need Motor Trend to test it (cause they give EVERYONE some ridiculous times).
Old 08-15-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hmmm, typical magazine racer(s). I got a good friend with a Lincoln LS V-8. I did not think much of the car until I rode in it. It convinced me to ask him to push it. It is a really good car, great handling, quiet, decent suspension. At speed it feels real strong. It is the American car to get, IMO.
Fact, Road and Track also got a 0-60 run of 7 sec in a TL-S, it is quite possible he has a faster car, maybe your was built on Friday and his was built on payday.
I am sure a LS V-8 can get right under 7 sec in the 0-60 sprint, maybe we need Motor Trend to test it (cause they give EVERYONE some ridiculous times).
hehehe...where have you been buddy...missed your sense of humor!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:06 PM
Comptech Freak

the LS V8 has less horsepower to offer (252hp) but larger torque..

but it can pull since it's a V8 and it's fair for both of u stayed dead even...

a couple months ago i beat the 225hp 6spd Audi TT by a quarter of car length just becoz i have the displacement advantage over him at mid range
Old 08-16-2002, 10:11 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful with those LS's some lincoln dealersz in the tri-state area are selling the supercharged Rousch LS's. Some of them with and without body kits as well. Be very careful.
Old 08-17-2002, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Time for a S.C. upgrade.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Lincoln is giving 0% for up to 60 months or $3000 cash back. Consumer Reports said it's one of the best American cars they've tested. Car&Driver said it the best enthusiast V8 sedan from the USA. The supercharged versions should break deep into the 13s in the quarter-mile and the 6-speed supercharged versions should do low 13s with a good driver.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:10 AM

Supercharged Lincolns are a lil too rare, I seriously doubt it. The Lincoln LS LSE has no engine upgrades and that would be more common (still rare).

Re-sale value also is awful, my friend picked his up 2nd hand, for 22k or some ridiculously low price.

hehehe...where have you been buddy...missed your sense of humor!
Around, SICK as ususal. I am interested in what the G35 would do vs the LS V-8.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Resale is horrible, I see them all the time for between 19k and 24k. Thats pathedic for a couple year old car.
Old 08-18-2002, 07:52 AM
Advanced

Lincolns do have nasty resale value. I heard of a purchase of a 1997 Mark VIII coupe with HIDs for $7000 in CA (less than a 4-cyl. Honda of the same year!). They costed over $40k new! Tremendous sounding DOHC 32-valve V8. Read from the Mark forums long ago of a stocker hitting 14s and 95 mph trap speeds stock, not bad for a heavy boat!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

The Lincoln LS has a 3.9L DOHC 32v V8 that's rated at 252hp and i think around 260 lb/ft of torque (same engine used in the new TBird). It's not the Northstar V8 in the Mark VIII. It is rear wheel drive so, it has better weight transfer during take off than our front wheel drivers. But all things being equal, we should be able to take them down.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
<Northstar V8 in the Mark VIII> can only imagine what that engine would do in LS. Not sure GM will let Ford do that though.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:52 PM
2002 TL Type S

The V-8's torque will generally out pull a 6 from a rolling start so not surprised on the highway that the LS had the edge. Plus if you go by the mags (and they do try to adjust the times for atmosphere, etc.) there's only a few tenths difference between 1/4 mile times on the LS versus TL-S. On a short 0-60 stint from a stoplight will not result in enough distance to cleanly jump a couple car lengths ahead of the LS. So, I can completely understand why you had to get off the gas before merging.

As for the Mark VIII, I know those things had 270HP and are pretty quick. I haven't raced one with my TL-S yet, but I did with the Stang. The Stang took him on an uphill race by a couple car lengths until I shut it down.

------------------------------------------
2002 Acura TL Type-S
Aegean Blue, Blk Leather
No Modifications
------------------------------------------
1993 5.0L Mustang Coupe
Dugan Racing X-Drilled Rotors
Kenny Brown Subframes
Baumann Shift Kit
3:27 Motorsport Gears
ADS Computer Chip
Motorsport Pulleys
1.5" Mach I Ram Air Hood
Flowmaster 2.5" Exhaust

Old 08-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

OKAY! THIS IS AN UPDATE! I just got home from work and what do you think I put a woopin on? Yep the V8. I'm so glad I got another opportunity. This time I was on RT 9 in Freehold, I was in the right lane and he was to my right in a lane that ends shortly after the intersection. He was edgeing up i thought he was gonna turn right but as I rolled foward, he moved further in front (bout a half a car length). He thought he was gonna gun it and beat out the whole line of rush hour traffic waiting at the light. Well even a little in front of me, when the light turned green I gunned it. To my supprise I passed him no prob. He was pissed and rode my a$$ for a half a mile or so and then tried to pass me .
I couldn't let that happen, not after my first two insidents with an LS. Well now i'm happy and you guys were right! LS V8 no prob!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:48 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by JPTLS21
OKAY! THIS IS AN UPDATE! I just got home from work and what do you think I put a woopin on? Yep the V8. I'm so glad I got another opportunity. This time I was on RT 9 in Freehold, I was in the right lane and he was to my right in a lane that ends shortly after the intersection. He was edgeing up i thought he was gonna turn right but as I rolled foward, he moved further in front (bout a half a car length). He thought he was gonna gun it and beat out the whole line of rush hour traffic waiting at the light. Well even a little in front of me, when the light turned green I gunned it. To my supprise I passed him no prob. He was pissed and rode my a$$ for a half a mile or so and then tried to pass me .
I couldn't let that happen, not after my first two insidents with an LS. Well now i'm happy and you guys were right! LS V8 no prob!
Is this the same LS guy that you lost to before?

Good kill!
Old 08-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

No, I wish it was. He's still drivin around thinkin he has a fast ride!
Old 08-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Comptech Freak

hahahahahaha
well...nice one...

just an update....the 3.9 V8 engine gets the boost from 252hp to 280hp along with the new T-bird...so how about this???
Old 08-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by samacura32TLS
The Lincoln LS has a 3.9L DOHC 32v V8 that's rated at 252hp and i think around 260 lb/ft of torque (same engine used in the new TBird). It's not the Northstar V8 in the Mark VIII. It is rear wheel drive so, it has better weight transfer during take off than our front wheel drivers. But all things being equal, we should be able to take them down.

I thought the Northstar System is in the GM product?
Old 08-23-2002, 06:36 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
it is