My Dilemma....Opinions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Post My Dilemma....Opinions needed...

I have the I N S P I R E for my rear end, and am dying to put it on, as I had it for about 6 months... I attempted to remove the "3.2TL" and to my disbelief, removed the clearcoat under the emblem! Two things.. I used a blowdryer on it(very close to the emblem) for 5 minutes before attempting to move it, and the fact that my trunk was sprayed once, so the emblems were removed and re-applied, so it's not the factory adhesive, it's the crap that the body shop applied the emblem with.. I don't know if I didn't heat the goo enough and caused the clear to come off, or the adhesive the shop used was a lot stickier and more difficult to remove than the factory adhesive.
Due to this problem, I am afraid to remove the A C U R A emblems, and the INSPIRE letters obviosly don't line up in the same place as the ACURA..BUT.. I am taking the car to a shop, and they will remove the A C U R A emblems for me, this way, if the clear chips, they are responsible, not me.. But I don't want to repaint the trunk anytime soon..
So my question to all of you is: Should I put a "Type S" emblem in the place of the "3.2TL" emblem to cover up the chipped clear? I already have inspire tails, and am getting CL-S wheels, so I will pretty much look like one, with the exception of the interior and the front end styling..So the only emblems will be the INSPIRE and TYPE S(and maybe the Acura Sign)...
Anyone?
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...
= ------------------>
Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 04-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Personally I have no problem with it, its cool.

I know a lot of people get their panties in a wad though and can't sleep at night when they see a GSR with a Type R badge or something like that. Calm down guys, its just a badge.

I say go for it.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmm, I don't feel good about "fronting" where you make your car out to be more than it really is. Possibly with I/H/E you will have around 260HP, then you can think about calling it a Type-S.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-04-2001, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ed...I would put it on if I had headers, springs, CAI and exhaust. This would be better than a type s in both performance & handling.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels with Bridgestone RE 730 - 225/45/17's. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:30 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Damn, you heated the emblem for 5 minutes? That could damage your paint. All you needed to do is peel the emblems off, you can use a good wax to remove all the adhesive.
Old 04-04-2001, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by AcuraTL:
Damn, you heated the emblem for 5 minutes? That could damage your paint. All you needed to do is peel the emblems off, you can use a good wax to remove all the adhesive.
It didn't damage the paint at all, btw, just the clearcoat chip.. I didn't have a heat gun, which I know gets a LOT hotter than a blowdryer, and like i said, whatever adhesive that the body shop used to re-apply the emblems, it's pretty solid on the paint.. I couldnt even remove the adhesive off the back of the emblem with the remover I used!

Originally Posted by Mike S:
I would put it on if I had headers, springs, CAI and exhaust. This would be better than a type s in both performance & handling.
I already have Exhaust, awaiting for funding to get Headers...I doubt I will get intake, was unimpressed with the sound, i'll stick to my drop in filter...
Ed
Old 04-05-2001, 01:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ed, dont put the Inspire letters on! Sell them to me.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Inspire tailights,Weapon-R hyper intake,Burlwood shift knob,Razo carbon fiber pedals,Inspire fog light switch (no fogs yet),BEL 870 radar detector
Old 04-05-2001, 09:35 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Shoof the "Jewish Ricer"... LOL

While you're at it get some more stickers and put them on the sides and on the windshield... why stop at Inspire and Type S emblems... get some Type R's also... LOL

What do you want people thinking when looking at your car... "why did this moron put these rudicolous labels on a perfectly fine luxury car, someone should wake him up and explain that he's not driving a civic"...

In europe they have an option to get all the identifying marks off of the car, to make it NOT stand out... and it looks much better than anything you PUT on a car!!!

------------------
Out on parole and on best behavior...
Old 04-05-2001, 10:41 AM
Pro

Cool

Shoofin... sure THATS the reason you want to put Type S cuz the clearcoat is damaged sure....
lol j/k

I agree with some of the other posts on here. If you have the mods (rims, exhaust, headers, etc) to get you as fast as a Type-S, i say go for it. Usually I would dis a guy who fronts like that but i guess i'm being partial to fellow TL'ers. I just hope one of your friends doesn't sell out and take a pic of it and submit it to the Rice Boy page. LOL. On the other hand, I'd like to give an example. My friend has a 97 GSR. He has comptech supercharger, headers, exhaust, rims, bodykit, Type-R transmission, Vtec controller, pulleys, CAI intake, springs, koni adjust. shocks, spark plugs, and about 10 other things i know i forgot to mention. His Integra is worth over 40k. Anyways, he never put Type-R emblem on his car, even though a Type-R owner would be VERY VERY envious of his. HIs car, obviously, would burn a type R in all races, braking, handling, you name it. I think sometimes people get very elitist about the Type-R class or in this case Type-S class, but clearly, the other car can be made much better. So, once again, if you are going to mod it, and it is at least a equal or better car, in my mind you have every right. Peace.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint
Old 04-05-2001, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, it's either put the TYPE S emblem, or a Comptech decal over the chipped clearcoat..
Ed
Old 04-05-2001, 11:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Right now, I only have a very small "Comptech Sport" sticker right next to my 3.2TL emblem. It's clear, but the "comptech" is in silver, and the "sport" is in red(BTW, the pic you see of that sticker was before I attempted to remove the emblem). It's very subtle, and not so noticeable. Up front, on the lower right corner of the bumper, I have a white Comptech sticker that has the Acura logo(the A), and it says Comptech racing development...Not very ricer to me..

Ed
Old 04-05-2001, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Question

Ed where did you buy the INSPIRE letters?
Old 04-05-2001, 11:20 PM
Senior Moderator

From Tim, I bought his VERY last set!
Ed