My Baby Is Total !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Baby Is Total !!!!!

Last Thursday night, I was standing at the red light...................

It went blank. All I remember that somebody hit me from the back, and I went forward. When I opened my eyes, I already had a cop standing over me. I didn't know what hit me, what condition my car was, because they took me to the hospital right away.

I am ok. I got a mild concussion, whiplash, and bruised my back, because the back of the seat broke and went back hitting my lower back. That's something Acura should definitely look at.

The car got towed to city yard, and I went there on Saturday to take some pictures and sign a release form.
When I saw it for the first time since the accident, it was like a stab in the heart. I never saw car shaped this way.

The trunk is completely gone, rear window is broken. Anyway stay tuned for the photos. They will explain everything.

p.s. Funny thing, my rear spoiler is intact.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:29 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
whoa....glad to hear you're alright. You thinking of pursuing legal actions??
Old 12-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry, bro, I know how you feel. My car is totalled also. I hit a sign, tree and rocks. Just got out of the hospital yesterday after two surgerys.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:32 PM
Pro

Extremely sorry to hear about your accident! At least you are alive and safe...although you probably will be needing to visit a chiropractor for some time...and the effects will never really go away...so remember all that when the responsible party's insurance tries to lowball you! It will happen.

Take care and hang in there.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro

Dang, Phantom! What type of surgery...hope you are on the mend. How's your ride?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:36 PM
Racer

Hey Phantom,

What happend? Are you better now?
Fill us with more info if you can?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:41 PM
Racer

Not sound opportunist, are salvaging any mods from your ride?
Old 12-05-2001, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Beiruty
Not sound opportunist, are salvaging any mods from your ride?
I'll try to get the spoiler off and the skirts. May be I'll sell them off of eBay.

I also have my Type-S emblem. Anybody wanna buy it?
Old 12-05-2001, 02:48 PM
Bada Bing

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes guys..at least you're both still with us.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:37 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ssokol91

I'll try to get the spoiler off and the skirts. May be I'll sell them off of eBay.

I also have my Type-S emblem. Anybody wanna buy it?
The fact that you can still smile after what happened I find it very uplifting.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:58 PM
yee
Burning Brakes

I always say that it doesn't matter how bad the accident is as long as the people in it are okay... cheers

so do you know what hit you from the back?
Old 12-05-2001, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear both you and Phantom are o.k. Accidents suck, but as others will agree cars can be replaced, people can't. Rest well and get a little pampering... it works wonders.

Jim
Old 12-05-2001, 04:38 PM
Drifting

I received the form from the adjustor today and it has the "total Loss" stamp on every page. The adjustor asked me if the car was airbourne, must be looking pretty bad.

My left Humorus was sticking out so now I have pins and plates and staples. My right shoulder broke in 4 places so I have pins and plates and staples there as well.

I will tell the story later on when my right arm recovers, it is veryt difficult to type.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:41 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear both of you guys are fine. Hope the road to recovery is a speedy one for both.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

sorry to hear but you got me all curious now on what happened!! Personally im picturing that a car from behind you must have hit you pretty bad pushing you into the middle of the intersection and then being hit from the side!!!

You said you seat broke too??!!! THATS NOT GOOD....you should bring it up to acura....makes me thing twice about our cars...believe it or not but the seats are suppose to be built STRONG as HELL!!! dunno what happen to yours....but GLAD YOUR OK
Old 12-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Racer

sorry to hear about your accident. i hate people who are just so careless to not pay attention to the road. u must have been hit pretty hard to be knocked out, meaning the dumbass was prolly going full speed. its people like them who get our insurance rates up so high
Old 12-05-2001, 09:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident man, but like everyone else I am glad you are ok. Cars are easily fixable or replaceable; People are not.

Phantom I work in Orthopedic Surgery; sounds like you got pretty banged up. Open fractures are no joke. Were you guys wearing your seatbelts? What about airbags and stuff; did they go in your case Phantom?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:30 PM
Moo
Pro

Glad to hear you both are ok. Man....what a bummer!!! Aside from your wrecked rides, hope everything else turns out in your favor.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Sorry to hear that, man! Anyway, it's good to know that even after all that you still have time to visit the acura-tl.com forums! You're certifiable!

Anyway, good to see that you still have your sense of humor. Rest well and make sure you get all you deserve from the insurance company. Here's to a speedy recovery!
Old 12-06-2001, 06:07 AM
Instructor

I wish a speedy and complete recovery for both of you.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:07 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Sorry to hear about the accident man, but like everyone else I am glad you are ok. Cars are easily fixable or replaceable; People are not.

Phantom I work in Orthopedic Surgery; sounds like you got pretty banged up. Open fractures are no joke. Were you guys wearing your seatbelts? What about airbags and stuff; did they go in your case Phantom?
All 4 airbags deployed and I was wearing my seatbelt.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:35 AM
Pro

Ditto! Man, pins & staples sounds pretty brutal...far worse than any accident I've experienced. Sorry to hear about your pain Phantom....not even talking about the car at this point. Hope the doc prescribed some pretty potent pain killers!

Get rest and get well.

We are all hoping for a speedy recovery in your future!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by asiankidd

You said you seat broke too??!!! THATS NOT GOOD....you should bring it up to acura....makes me thing twice about our cars...believe it or not but the seats are suppose to be built STRONG as HELL!!! dunno what happen to yours....but GLAD YOUR OK
I'm trying to investigate this. If any of you ever heard of this problem before that was brought to Acura's attention, or just a similar situation, let me know.

May be we can sue Acura, and they can start building more durable cars.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:37 AM
Pro

Phantom,

What are the 2 insurance companies saying about fault? Is the other party's insurance assuming responsibility and picking up ALL your bills...from hospital to rental car? Having the other insurance do this, from the beginning, is your best scenario...then you are not out of pocket even a penny. You are truly suffering enough w/ the physical damages to have to deal with anything else!

Dang, I hope they give you a great settlement!
Old 12-06-2001, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by yee
I always say that it doesn't matter how bad the accident is as long as the people in it are okay... cheers

so do you know what hit you from the back?
I dont know who hit me, but his information was taken and he was also taken to a hospital with worse injuries.

I'm still waiting for a police report. Since the accident is happened in the city, it takes them a long time to get it ready. County would have been faster.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:11 AM
Instructor

None of my airbags were deployed. I was wearing a seatbelt.
Somebody told me that airbags don't deploy on the rear-end hit.
Is that true?
Old 12-06-2001, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by edgalang

The fact that you can still smile after what happened I find it very uplifting.
It is only a car. I'm just glad I'm ok.

As much as I loved my TL-S, I don't think I'm going to be getting one. I guess I'm just superstitious. This wasn't a car for me.

Took a brand new Audi S4 for a test drive last night with manual transmission

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby got power!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

It is only a car. I'm just glad I'm ok.

As much as I loved my TL-S, I don't think I'm going to be getting one. I guess I'm just superstitious. This wasn't a car for me.

Took a brand new Audi S4 for a test drive last night with manual transmission

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baby got power!!!
i see your thrilled to be driving in the s4....so i guess it wouldnt be bad timing to ask...but is there anything salvagable off your car....i.e headers/intake/springs...anything of that sort? i'd be more than happy to purchase them off you....so you get more money back *shrugs*....just asking...if no i understand hehe...thanks
Old 12-06-2001, 06:31 PM
Senior Moderator

None of my airbags were deployed. I was wearing a seatbelt.
Somebody told me that airbags don't deploy on the rear-end hit.
Is that true?
Yup, the sensors are located in the front of the car, teh impact sets them off, not the sudden deceleration or in your case acceleration. Unless hit in the front in some manner, the airbags will not or should not go off.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:18 PM
Pro

Bros, all the best to the both of you in your recovery!! Forget the cars, it's people that count.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

Yup, the sensors are located in the front of the car, teh impact sets them off, not the sudden deceleration or in your case acceleration. Unless hit in the front in some manner, the airbags will not or should not go off.
Actually, the front airbags are triggered when the rate of deceleration exceeds a certain threshold, not by impact sensors (though I don't know what triggers the side airbags). Airbags very rarely deploy in accidents where the collision occurs at the rear of the car.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

coz' when you got rear ended, you got accelerated instead of decelerated.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RAdams

Actually, the front airbags are triggered when the rate of deceleration exceeds a certain threshold, not by impact sensors (though I don't know what triggers the side airbags).
Correct. There are multiple sensors (3-5, depending on car make) placed in various places around the car. Usually two or three across the nose (one in either corner and/or one in the center), one underneath the dash in the center, and usually one in between the driver seats below the center console/armrest. These sensors are constantly checking the rate of deceleration (as measured in Gs). If the rate of deceleration goes over the threshold in a majority of the sensors (just one or two won't do it), the airbags will deploy (needs to be *sudden* deceleration). The side airbags work in conjunction with the fronts, but also have lateral sensors. If they detect a sudden lateral change in motion, the side airbag will deploy. I believe some cars *do* use impact sensors on the door cross supports as well to trigger side and/or head curtain airbags. Because of where these sensors are placed, and how they are triggered, it is virtually impossible for them to deploy accidentally. One faulty or activated trigger won't set them off. That's why those Internet stories of cops and tow truck drivers getting killed by slimjims getting shot back at them from a deployed side airbag have been repeatedly debunked as urban legends.

I will check the Hems tonight and get the exact layout for the '02 TL airbag setup and post it here (for those interested).
Old 12-09-2001, 07:11 AM
Banned

asiankidd:
" see your thrilled to be driving in the s4....so i guess it wouldnt be bad timing to ask...but is there anything salvagable off your car....i.e headers/intake/springs...anything of that sort? i'd be more than happy to purchase them off you....so you get more money back *shrugs*....just asking...if no i understand hehe...thanks"

Ha oh yeah man...you're definitely making a sacrifice for him...so selfless, so giving Hee hee...I'm just messing with ya.

ssokol91:
Usually when I get hurt (a lot) it always makes me feel better to hear about someone who got it worse...so here goes, and please no flames, this guy is a good friend of mine, if you don't believe me I can give you his IM name to ask.

My friend is driving in a new Maxima he got at an auction, with another guy in the car. They're in Virginia, driving down the highway at about 75 mph, and a deer jumps out in front of them. My friend slams on his brakes and swerves to the left to miss the deer, then swerves back to the right to not fall off into the ditch. It must have been wet on the road, or slick from oil, because his rear end tails and he does 3 360 degree spins. From what he found out about the car, some crazy things happened to it when it was spinning. Somehow both his brakes and his steering column died...I assume he snapped the steering column and somehow destroyed the brakes, because the car kept going at a pretty speedy rate, pointed to the right, off of the highway. The car drives off the highway, and they go up a hill at what he says was about 50 mph. They get about 4-5 seconds of air time as they fly off the hill, the car spins laterally 180 degrees, and they land upside down in the car. The car skids on the roof and comes to a stop. They ruptured the gas tank and gas starts leaking into the car, and the doors are jammed shut and the whole rear of the car has crumpled down. They undo their seatbelts, land on the roof, now the floor...luckily in the spins my friend's head cracked his window, and he kicks it out with his feet, gets out, and drags his friend out. He's got some pictures of what's left of the car, but from what he said it looks like something out of "Junkyard Wars"...his parents didn't even believe it was the car until he pulled the papers from the crumpled in glove box and showed them. I hope to post pics here soon...

So in conclusion...look on the bright side And I hope you get better man...

Austin519
Old 12-09-2001, 12:43 PM
Cruisin'

Talking OMFG!

OMFG! That's one of the craziest accidents I have ever heard of! You MUST post pics!
Old 12-10-2001, 02:05 AM
Banned

Magbarn:
I will ASAP but from what he said...take a trash can, spray paint it white (his car was white)...roll it in the mud...then beat it in with a metal baseball bat and throw it off a cliff....he said it'd be a similar sight

Austin519
Old 12-12-2001, 11:28 AM
Pro

FRIEND'S ACCIDENT

The accident story was very interesting....but I still am curiously thinking about how your friend bought a NEW Maxima from an auction??????
Old 12-12-2001, 05:32 PM
Banned

TL4Mo:
Why are you confused? Nissan sold the car to my school's math team extremely far below invoice, and they auctioned it off to the highest bidder, so that the profits went to support my school's math team...

Austin519
Old 12-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Phantom, sorry to hear about the accident and, more importantly, that you were hospitalized. Hopefully, you are on your way to recovery. I know it blows that your car was totaled, but that, young man, can be replaced. Let us know what you decide to replace your TL-S with and maybe I'll see you again at the next meet.

Take care of yourself!
Old 12-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Austin519
TL4Mo:
Why are you confused? Nissan sold the car to my school's math team extremely far below invoice, and they auctioned it off to the highest bidder, so that the profits went to support my school's math team...

Austin519
he probably thought the same thing I did, that it was one of those Repo, Police or off Lease type auctions.

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Guess I was wrong about the sensors, thought they were impact/crush sensors, not the deceleration type. Do the side ones work that way too? How about if badly sideswiped?