Mustang Gt Goes Down!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001 | 02:50 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Mustang Gt Goes Down!

I'm driving home at like 2:00 in the morning tonight and I approach a red light with a Black Mustang GT with tinted windows sitting at the light. He give me a honk to roll down my window and asks me if that's the Type S. I said yea, and then he proceeded to ask me if I wanted to pull off the light. I told him yea (of course) and I asked him what year his car was. He said it was a 96, and that was the end of the conversation. So he starts revving it a bit, while I shut VSA off and put it in SS. Light turns green and he clutch drops it pretty hard. I got some wheelspin, but wasn't out of control. I pulled on him immediately while he was skidding, and he never caught up. By the end of first I had him by a car length and then I heard him chirp second hard, so I though he might start catching me. However, he never did, and I just kept putting distance on him slowely. I shut down at about 95 mph, and at this point I was up by about 3 car lengths. Gave him the flashers and pulled into the gas station (had no gas left). I was so hyped up, I could not believe it. The TL-S just keeps impressing me day after day........
Old 08-21-2001 | 02:56 AM
Pro

Thumbs up

Oh yeah! There are SO many Mustang GT's around here that think they are the sheeeiitt. I'm gonna have to find me a few to take a bite out of! Great kill!
Old 08-21-2001 | 06:16 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Thumbs up

Nice Kill!! That's right, give in the flashers and let him know who's boss!! hehee!!
Old 08-21-2001 | 07:25 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Nice Kill,

I haven’t had a chance to race a “buttstain” er Mustang yet, nice to know they (stock GT) can be taken with ease.
Old 08-21-2001 | 08:40 AM
Racer

I was on 295 in De, heading over the Delaware Mem Bridge, and saw A GT with some mods, at a minimum exhaust and some HUGE tires, We looked at each other and it was on... from about 40-60 we were close but he smoked my ass bad after that, noticably pulling away from me!!!! I saw him later in the week and had nothing to say!
Old 08-21-2001 | 10:43 AM
Instructor

hey good job. couple days ago, there was 2001 Mustang GT who was right next to me. And he seems he is going to race. And I put my SS mode, he started first and little bit ahead of me, but when I reached 40mph I was upfront and he was pulling away from me.. I said TLS is fast when it reached 60mph..but there was police on the right side. I saw the red and blue lights.. and white mustang was behind me, so he got away.. Anyway police officer did not give me a ticket because I asked him about the white Mustang GT he was right next to me.. and he made a left turn and ran away from the police. He just give me a no point ticket, he told me just fine. of $50 buck.. since it was short distance, the police told me not to drive fast here and he also pointed that he admits that i was at least going 60mph. which was correct. But at least I"m very lucky police survivor, I got caught 3 times by police and all of them were just warnings....
Anyway, next i'm not going to drive fast.. i will speed down..

remember if you get reckless driving you are in trouble.. and if I think about insurance I'm paying..I pay $2,400, for 6 months.. and I have not had any tickets for 2 yrs.. but before 2 years I was terrible.. I had about 4 car accidents and 4 speeding tickets when I was 21.. Now I'm 23.. so I'll be ok.. hopefully I don't pay additional driving tickets.. and no more kick out from Insurance..
Old 08-21-2001 | 11:27 AM
Advanced

Nice Kill. However, keep in mind the '96 Mustang is probably the slowest late model mustang ever built.
Old 08-21-2001 | 01:37 PM
Racer

Well the new style GT, I think 98 or 99 and up, are faster then the type S. So watch out if its one of those, or an older moded one as stangs love to respond to mods.
Old 08-21-2001 | 01:39 PM
Advanced

Re: Mustang Gt Goes Down!

I don't have a "kill" to report but I raced a 2001 Camaro Z28 last night, 6 speed. This car flies! I didn't win the race, but I was actually ahead of him him through second gear in my car
(and I only started out going a little faster then normal, wasn't sure if he wanted to race and didn't want to look like an idiot flooring it from off-the-line), until he pulled away.

If I didn't have headers I wouldn't have stood a chance. But just staying with him for a bit made me really happy.
Old 08-21-2001 | 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Hey 2k2SilverTL-S, was your car bone stock when you raced the mustang? If so, then that's a true kill then.
Old 08-21-2001 | 04:33 PM
Instructor

Being a former 91 Z28 owner, Id have to agree.. once those small blocks start rolling, Look Out! I do think that our TLS would hang with them for a bit.. maybe up to like 45-50mph.. from that point on, I wouldn´t even bother..
Has anyone started a race with them, (mustang/camaro) at highway speeds?
Old 08-21-2001 | 05:49 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by MB45
Being a former 91 Z28 owner, Id have to agree.. once those small blocks start rolling, Look Out! I do think that our TLS would hang with them for a bit.. maybe up to like 45-50mph.. from that point on, I wouldn´t even bother..
Has anyone started a race with them, (mustang/camaro) at highway speeds?
First of all Nice Kills.

As for Z28s. I did run a stock '99 Z28 from about 50 to 95. He couldn't pull me. Of course I set him up. He was at to bottom of his gear and I was on top and with VTEC in full motion. By time he got his RPM up to out muscle me we had to shut down. Would have killed me otherwise, but he did ask for it jacking around with every "fast" looking car around. I had no intent at first, but what the hey.

RUF
Old 08-21-2001 | 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Wasn't the 96 GT only 215 hp? I think after that they bumped it up to 260. I always know which ones not to mess with by the taillights -- Horizontal red bars = 215 hp, Vertical red bars = 260 hp.
Old 08-22-2001 | 12:40 AM
Instructor

Redlined you are a bad bad man. I think I'll use the trick too . My EBP TL-S is in the mail, but i currently own a 2000 Anthracite TL and I raced I think it was '92 Vette but was sadly unimpressed. He must have had a bad start or sumthing because i ran pretty much right with him all the way to 90 then i slowed up. His rear bumper was only a foot or two from my front. I was expecting murder. It was a lot of fun tell you that! Tonight i killed a riceboy in my TL-P too. It was more or less an accident. Red Civic, lowered, rims, nice paint job, euro lights, muffler, etc. No outlandish badges or nething, thought maybe he had something under the hood. Well when his lights quickly became tiny specs in my rearview it was clear nothing there. I wouldn't have crushed his ego had i known. His fault though, thats what a riceboy deserves.

Love the forum, can't wait for my TL-S! My Viper will come one day too i hope .
Old 08-22-2001 | 12:53 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Yea, I'm bone stock. The mustang GT sounded like it had a really loud flowmaster exhaust, other than that, I don't know if he had anything else done. I'm starting to think I have a factory freak
TL-S or something........
Old 08-22-2001 | 01:31 AM
Racer

They are more like 225HP? The new, more square body style has 260HP (same as TLs), but 302Lbs./ft. at 4000RPM. Thats what gets them off the line. Plus mods are plentyful for this car.
Old 08-22-2001 | 02:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by RedLined
I always know which ones not to mess

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight"

Sun Tzu, "Art of War"

I hear ya Redline! I think the same way.

Nice kill 2k2SilverTL-S. But ya, that's on of those early modular 4.6 (first year in the Stang 215hp). Personally don't like em much but they're not that slow anymore! They got 260hp with 302lbs. of torque in '99. I drove my '88 5.0 L.X. for years before I got my TL-S a month ago and that car will eat the TL-S. Granted it isn't stock but no matter, the TL-S is a refined comfortable and pretty dam quick 4 door sedan. Not a unrefined "muscle car" with old school "no replacement for displacement" engineering. I drove my Mustang the other day after a month of not using it and dam, "I drove this everyday for so many years!" Summer day and winter night difference. I'm keeping the Stang (need my V-8 torque fix!) but I'm never going back to use it everyday. Falling in love with the TL-S more and more everyday! Screw all the naysayer's, this a great buy and a great car that can kill alot of unsuspecting car's out there!